Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Husband Wants to Pull Them Now...

Posted by on Jun. 3, 2014 at 6:08 PM
  • 18 Replies

I posted a few days ago about how I was impatient for school to end so that our homeschooling could finally begin? We were planning on letting the girls finish out kindergarten at their public school and then homeschool them for first grade (school year 2014-2015).

One of the reasons we are planning on homeschooling them is because they are being bullied pretty regularly at school. Today one of the girls came home with more bullying stories and DH just lost it. He has had enough and asked me to figure out a way to pull them early.

They only have three more weeks and I was hoping to wait it out to avoid upsetting the school district or drawing unwanted attention to us...but he is adamant that I look into the possibility of pulling them out by the end of this week.

We live in New York state and in (I've heard) a particularly anti-homeschooling district.

I know the steps to take to homeschool for the beginning of the year...but I am a bit unsure how to go about doing it at the very end of the year...

Any advice/ideas?

Based on the NY regulations if I pull them after the start of the school year then I must notify the school district within 14 days of our homeschool start date.

But it doesn't specific anything else in relation to middle of the year/end of the year homeschooling...would I just follow the full year steps? If that's the case I fear I'd set us up for failure considering there is no way I could accumulate 900+ hours of instruct in two weeks and 180 days of instruction....lol

I will probably post for help in our locate homeschooling facebook group...but I figured I'd post in here as well :)

Ugh. I hope I'm making sense.

What would you do?? Wait it out for three more weeks or pull them and risk upsetting the authorities? Lol

by on Jun. 3, 2014 at 6:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
BellaRose17
by Member on Jun. 3, 2014 at 6:14 PM

Also it's particularly confusing because from what i've heard, kindergarten isn't required and doesn't require the reporting to the district that grades 1-12 require...BUT they are six years old which is the compulsory school attendance age...which means their progress must be reported to the district...ljsdflksajdfljsdf

it's messy to say the least =P

mom2gdj
by Member on Jun. 3, 2014 at 6:23 PM
1 mom liked this

So sorry you are having trouble. I live in TX which is a very homeschool friendly state. Have you been in contact with the Homeschool Legal Defense Association?  I don't see why you can't pull them out now and the notify the school district that you will begin homeschooling them in August. If you just have to tell them the date you want to start homeschooling them. In my opinion homeschooling is a way of life and you are constantly teaching them no matter where you are. 

Shannon

Chasing3
by Bronze Member on Jun. 3, 2014 at 6:41 PM

I'm a high anxiety person and would be afraid of them making my life difficult so I'd do everything I could to stick it out for 3 weeks. That's me.

BellaRose17
by Member on Jun. 3, 2014 at 6:55 PM

This is exactly my thinking; I really do *not* want any legal trouble.

Quoting Chasing3:

I'm a high anxiety person and would be afraid of them making my life difficult so I'd do everything I could to stick it out for 3 weeks. That's me. 

NYCitymomx3
by Bronze Member on Jun. 3, 2014 at 6:59 PM
1 mom liked this

Ok, they are being bullied.... PULL THEM OUT NOW.

It's ok.  I promise it will be fine.  As a courtesy, you can tell their teacher your plans.  You don't have to send a LOI for this school year (2013-2014), but you can if you need (or the school requests) closure.  If you send one, there is no other paperwork needed for Kindergarten.  You can actually state that you are "sending this letter of intent as a courtesy.  My child XXXXXX will be homeschooled for the remainder of this school year (2013-2014).  I am aware that no other paperwork is needed for Kindergarten".  Make sure you always send separate paperwork for each child.

You then have until September to send your letters of intent for the upcoming school year (2014-2015).   But you can get it out of the way in June like the rest of us do.  

Now keep them home and enjoy the heck out of them this summer!

BellaRose17
by Member on Jun. 3, 2014 at 7:07 PM
1 mom liked this

Is it really that simple?? Goodness, as always you are so wonderful. Thank you!

hugs 

Quoting NYCitymomx3:

It's ok.  I promise it will be fine.  As a courtesy, you can tell their teacher your plans.  You don't have to send a LOI for this school year (2013-2014), but you can if you need (or the school requests) closure.  If you send one, there is no other paperwork needed for Kindergarten.  You can actually state that you are "sending this letter of intent as a courtesy.  My child XXXXXX will be homeschooled for the remainder of this school year (2013-2014).  I am aware that no other paperwork is needed for Kindergarten".  Make sure you always send separate paperwork for each child.

You then have until September to send your letters of intent for the upcoming school year (2014-2015).   But you can get it out of the way in June like the rest of us do.  

BellaRose17
by Member on Jun. 3, 2014 at 7:21 PM

Oh, one more question! :) The fact that they are both 6 years old (they turned six before Dec)...does that affect it at all? Or is the courtesy letter of intent good enough? 

Quoting NYCitymomx3:

Bluerose1482
by Member on Jun. 3, 2014 at 7:55 PM
1 mom liked this

Section 3205: Attendance of minors upon full time day instruction

1. a. In each school district of the state, each minor from six to sixteen years of age shall attend upon full time instruction.
b. Each minor from six to sixteen years of age on an Indian reservation shall attend upon full time day instruction.
c. For purposes of this article, a minor who becomes six years of age on or before the first of December in any school year shall be required to attend upon full time instruction from the first day that the appropriate public schools are in session in September of such school year, and a minor who becomes six years of age after the first of December in any school year shall be required to attend upon full time instruction from the first day of session in the following September; and, except as otherwise provided in subdivision three of this section, shall be required to remain in attendance until the last day of session in the school year in which the minor becomes sixteen years of age.

2. Exceptions.
a. A minor who has completed a four-year high school course of study shall not be subject to the provisions of part one of this article in respect to required attendance upon instruction.
b. A minor for whom application for a full-time employment certificate has been made and who is eligible therefor may, though unemployed, be permitted to attend part time school not less than twenty hours per week instead of full time school.
c. The board of education of the Syracuse city school district and the board of education of the city school district of the city of New York and the board of education of the city school district of the city of Rochester are hereby authorized to require minors who are five years of age on or before December first to attend kindergarten instruction. However, the provisions of this paragraph shall not apply to:
     (i) Minors whose parents elect not to enroll their children in school until the following September.
     (ii) Students enrolled in non-public schools or in home instruction.

3. In each school district, the board of education shall have power to require minors from sixteen to seventeen years of age who are not employed to attend upon full time day instruction until the last day of session in the school year in which the student becomes seventeen years of age.

NYCitymomx3
by Bronze Member on Jun. 3, 2014 at 10:01 PM
1 mom liked this

Oh, ok, then just change things slightly...  

Send the LOI -

• "To Whom it May Concern,  We are sending this letter of intent as required of Section 100.10 of the Regulations of the New York State Commissioner of Education.  We intend to homeschool our daughter, ___________________, for the last few weeks of the 2013-2014 school year."

In the same envelope, but on separate sheets, you can put together a quick IHIP -

• just list the required subjects and state one thing you plan on doing until the end of June (e.g. MATH:  SINGLE-DIGIT SUBTRACTION, SCIENCE:  NATURE STUDY) -

and a 4th Quarterly/Annual Assessment report that says,

• "_______ is progressing at a satisfactory level or above in all subject matter.  She has had instruction in all the following areas, as per Section 100.10 of the Regulations of the New York State Commissioner of Education that was completed at the ______ Elementary School, which is located at (provide address): Reading, Writing, Spelling, Language Arts, Arithmetic, U.S. History, Geography, Science, Health, Physical Education, Music, and Visual Arts.  ________ had __ absences from instruction this quarter, and has satisfied the required hours of instruction (225).  She will be entering 1st grade in September 2014".  This is how I write my quarterly and assessment narratives every year (on testing years I just include an extra sentence or 2).  

Preface your letters with their name, address, & grade level.  These letters are only for this school year (2013-2014).  The upcoming school year gets a whole 'nother set of paperwork.  But you can worry about that later.  This year, the simple paperwork will satisfy any requirements and keep everyone off your back.  

You are NOT required to go to any "meetings" with anyone from the school or district.  Don't let them talk you into it, lol.  

Quoting BellaRose17:

Oh, one more question! :) The fact that they are both 6 years old (they turned six before Dec)...does that affect it at all? Or is the courtesy letter of intent good enough? 

Quoting NYCitymomx3:

Angela

DD(20) Hair Stylist (in training) in downtown Manhattan, graduating in late summer
DD(17) Dancer at the (real) Fame school, performing arts conservatory in the fall 
DS(13) Experiential homeschooler, mixed martial artist, Confirmand

CITYSCHOOLING

BellaRose17
by Member on Jun. 3, 2014 at 10:25 PM

Thank you so much!!! I will update once we get it all over with :) I'm so very relieved and excited there's a way out early!

bowing downyou rockbow down

Quoting NYCitymomx3:

Oh, ok, then just change things slightly...  

Send the LOI -

• "To Whom it May Concern,  We are sending this letter of intent as required of Section 100.10 of the Regulations of the New York State Commissioner of Education.  We intend to homeschool our daughter, ___________________, for the last few weeks of the 2013-2014 school year."

In the same envelope, but on separate sheets, you can put together a quick IHIP -

• just list the required subjects and state one thing you plan on doing until the end of June (e.g. MATH:  SINGLE-DIGIT SUBTRACTION, SCIENCE:  NATURE STUDY) -

and a 4th Quarterly/Annual Assessment report that says,

• "_______ is progressing at a satisfactory level or above in all subject matter.  She has had instruction in all the following areas, as per Section 100.10 of the Regulations of the New York State Commissioner of Education that was completed at the ______ Elementary School, which is located at (provide address): Reading, Writing, Spelling, Language Arts, Arithmetic, U.S. History, Geography, Science, Health, Physical Education, Music, and Visual Arts.  ________ had __ absences from instruction this quarter, and has satisfied the required hours of instruction (225).  She will be entering 1st grade in September 2014".  This is how I write my quarterly and assessment narratives every year (on testing years I just include an extra sentence or 2).  

Preface your letters with their name, address, & grade level.  These letters are only for this school year (2013-2014).  The upcoming school year gets a whole 'nother set of paperwork.  But you can worry about that later.  This year, the simple paperwork will satisfy any requirements and keep everyone off your back.  

You are NOT required to go to any "meetings" with anyone from the school or district.  Don't let them talk you into it, lol.  

Quoting BellaRose17:

Quoting NYCitymomx3:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)