Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Husband Wants to Pull Them Now...

Posted by   + Show Post

I posted a few days ago about how I was impatient for school to end so that our homeschooling could finally begin? We were planning on letting the girls finish out kindergarten at their public school and then homeschool them for first grade (school year 2014-2015).

One of the reasons we are planning on homeschooling them is because they are being bullied pretty regularly at school. Today one of the girls came home with more bullying stories and DH just lost it. He has had enough and asked me to figure out a way to pull them early.

They only have three more weeks and I was hoping to wait it out to avoid upsetting the school district or drawing unwanted attention to us...but he is adamant that I look into the possibility of pulling them out by the end of this week.

We live in New York state and in (I've heard) a particularly anti-homeschooling district.

I know the steps to take to homeschool for the beginning of the year...but I am a bit unsure how to go about doing it at the very end of the year...

Any advice/ideas?

Based on the NY regulations if I pull them after the start of the school year then I must notify the school district within 14 days of our homeschool start date.

But it doesn't specific anything else in relation to middle of the year/end of the year homeschooling...would I just follow the full year steps? If that's the case I fear I'd set us up for failure considering there is no way I could accumulate 900+ hours of instruct in two weeks and 180 days of instruction....lol

I will probably post for help in our locate homeschooling facebook group...but I figured I'd post in here as well :)

Ugh. I hope I'm making sense.

What would you do?? Wait it out for three more weeks or pull them and risk upsetting the authorities? Lol

by on Jun. 3, 2014 at 6:08 PM
Replies (11-18):
Leissaintexas
by Bronze Member on Jun. 4, 2014 at 10:06 AM
Your children are being bullied, and you're afraid of them giving you a hard time!? I'm sorry, I don't mean to be snotty about this, but honestly, mamma, you've got yo put the needs of your babies before anything!
bcogoli
by Member on Jun. 4, 2014 at 11:00 AM
1 mom liked this

I pulled my son from public school 4 months into his first year. He was only 5 at the time. The school system did try to give me some trouble but then realized they had no justification for it.  I suggest doing what the other ladies said and pull them out now and send your letter of intent. I also suggest joining HSLDA  and then if any legal problems do arise they will deal with it.

BellaRose17
by Member on Jun. 4, 2014 at 11:42 AM

Not snotty at all! I totally understand how it must sound =) 

It's just I've heard such horrible stories about truancy charges, CPS calls, children being taken away, and the like when homeschooling families upset their school district it has made me very wary of causing waves. I really want to make sure our homeschooling experience is carried out legally and as quietly as possible. Thankfully, I have gotten the steps I need to accomplish this and they should be out of there by Friday. We are very excited. ^_^

Quoting Leissaintexas: Your children are being bullied, and you're afraid of them giving you a hard time!? I'm sorry, I don't mean to be snotty about this, but honestly, mamma, you've got yo put the needs of your babies before anything!

ChristineTate
by Member on Jun. 4, 2014 at 9:23 PM
2 moms liked this

Congratulations on taking the plunge!  Every minute you can have with your children is a blessing. 

SarahinWA
by Member on Jun. 4, 2014 at 11:16 PM
1 mom liked this
Just wanted to say that it is awesome that you have a husband so (appropriately) protective!
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Jun. 5, 2014 at 3:14 PM
1 mom liked this

I had a CPS call and the truancy officer called, but it was STILL the best choice I could have made.  When I pulled them out, I was ultra anal and it saved us.  I sent our affidavit (letter of intent, whatever your state calls it) as a certified letter.  So I had a signature as proof that I had sent it in!  I already had my portfolio started with a copy of my affidavit, list of objectives, typed book list, and the dividers for all of our subjects.  When CPS came, I offered her a lemonade on the porch while we discussed the issue.  I showed her the signed paperwork and let her know that she was not allowed to investigate my house since the only "evidence" of abuse was the fact that we were "truant" and I had the proof that we weren't truant.  She was very pleasant and conceded that she had been sent prematurely.  She came with the truancy officer.  Now he was a prick jerk, but even he had to admit that we were legal ("although homeschooling really shouldn't be legal, but I guess you're okay.")  Sigh.

Anyway, being anal is your best friend until you see how the school and gov't will react to your homeschooling.

You can do this!

Quoting BellaRose17:

Not snotty at all! I totally understand how it must sound =) 

It's just I've heard such horrible stories about truancy charges, CPS calls, children being taken away, and the like when homeschooling families upset their school district it has made me very wary of causing waves. I really want to make sure our homeschooling experience is carried out legally and as quietly as possible. Thankfully, I have gotten the steps I need to accomplish this and they should be out of there by Friday. We are very excited. ^_^

Quoting Leissaintexas: Your children are being bullied, and you're afraid of them giving you a hard time!? I'm sorry, I don't mean to be snotty about this, but honestly, mamma, you've got yo put the needs of your babies before anything!

tntmom1027
by Member on Jun. 12, 2014 at 8:08 PM

Just wondering if you pulled your kids out and if how it went if so? 

BellaRose17
by Member on Jun. 12, 2014 at 9:30 PM

Yes we did! I've been so busy I haven't had a chance to give an update :D

Quoting tntmom1027:

Just wondering if you pulled your kids out and if how it went if so? 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)