Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Need examples of Progress Reports

Posted by on Jun. 3, 2014 at 11:18 PM
  • 5 Replies

So some background when my hub and I took our girls out of the local public school we were first at here on the island it wasn't pretty.  The school was rude and I told them how I felt about the school (basically how they sucked on services and how they lied)  Fast forward we never heard from that school for the rest of the year.  We are now looking at putting our girls into a free at home public school kinda like K12.com but through Hawaii.  Well we need to upload documents for that school cause they are a public school through the state and I don't have a copy of a form 14 which is basically a phsycial.  So I called the school today and the clerk who was the same person I told off when we took our kids out informs me that I need to give them a progress report in order to get my form.  Her words exctally were "When you bring in the progress report you can fill out the relase form."  I have never home schooled before I have no idea what they what so I really need examples from any of you moms that have had to do one of these before.

I totally think this school is being like this with me cause of how things ended but that's just me.  My hubs says he'll go up in there and demand the paperwork and if they don't give it to him he'll take it himself which I know will only end badly so I figure if I can come up with something to shove in their faces just so I can get my paperwork it's all good.

by on Jun. 3, 2014 at 11:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
JKronrod
by Bronze Member on Jun. 4, 2014 at 1:37 AM

Okay.  Schools sometime play games with home schoolers.  Have you checked the regulations?  Do they have the right to demand a "progress report"?  If not, IMO, you shouldn't give it to them.  They probably have an obligation to provide you with the records in any event.  You might want to ask HSLDA (an organization I have VERY mixed feelings about) if they have a recommendation on a lawyer in Hawaii.  They won't represent you (they only do independents and they are very, very Christian).  However, they might point you in the right direction (or they might be rude -- I don't know).  However, if you think, after your own review of the regs, that you don't have to provide the report, you could check with an attorney -- possibly one they could recommend.  Sometimes all it takes is a letter on legal letterhead to shake the apple loose. 

LostTheSlipper
by Bronze Member on Jun. 4, 2014 at 3:45 AM

First of all, I'd look on their website and dig through their site to see if you can find out a copy of whatever it is you need to fill out.If you can just print it out it sounds like it would save you a lot of hassle.

If you do find out you really do need the progress report though, here's a copy of ours, blank and filled in (part of it anyway). Forgive my late-night photoshop skills lol

Obviously you might not have Bible and would include all the other basic subjects... Don't make it harder than it has to be.

mommy2girls0506
by on Jun. 4, 2014 at 6:23 PM
Quoting JKronrod:

Okay.  Schools sometime play games with home schoolers.  Have you checked the regulations?  Do they have the right to demand a "progress report"?  If not, IMO, you shouldn't give it to them.  They probably have an obligation to provide you with the records in any event.  You might want to ask HSLDA (an organization I have VERY mixed feelings about) if they have a recommendation on a lawyer in Hawaii.  They won't represent you (they only do independents and they are very, very Christian).  However, they might point you in the right direction (or they might be rude -- I don't know).  However, if you think, after your own review of the regs, that you don't have to provide the report, you could check with an attorney -- possibly one they could recommend.  Sometimes all it takes is a letter on legal letterhead to shake the apple loose. 

Thanks, yea not sure if that would be the place for me or not but thanks for the tip of where to start.  I totally think this is the school playing a game but I will look into the regulations.  Thanks again

mommy2girls0506
by on Jun. 4, 2014 at 6:28 PM

Thanks for the examples.

Quoting LostTheSlipper:

First of all, I'd look on their website and dig through their site to see if you can find out a copy of whatever it is you need to fill out.If you can just print it out it sounds like it would save you a lot of hassle.

If you do find out you really do need the progress report though, here's a copy of ours, blank and filled in (part of it anyway). Forgive my late-night photoshop skills lol

Obviously you might not have Bible and would include all the other basic subjects... Don't make it harder than it has to be.

Silverkitty
by Bronze Member on Jun. 4, 2014 at 7:21 PM
1 mom liked this

Standardized Tests: At the end of each school year, an “annual report of child’s progress” must be submitted to local principal. This report may comprise one of the following:

1. a score on “a nationally-normed standardized achievement test which demonstrates grade level achievement appropriate to a child’s age”;

2. “progress on a nationally-normed standardized achievement test that is equivalent to one grade level per calendar year”;

3. “a written evaluation by a teacher certified to teach in the State of Hawaii”;

4. “a written evaluation by the parent” which includes a description of the child’s progress in each subject area, representative samples of the child’s work, and representative tests and assignments including grades where applicable. Haw. Admin. R. § 8-12-18(b).; or

5. the results of Hawaii’s Statewide Testing Program if a parent chooses “to have the child participate in the school’s testing program” for grades 3, 5, 8, and 10. Haw. Admin. R. § 8-12-18(c).

In grades 3, 5, 8 and 10, children must take a criterion or norm-referenced standardized achievement test of the parent’s choice in lieu of the annual progress report. Haw. Admin. R. § 8-12-18.

This might be what the school is referting to.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)