Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

7th grade curriculum outline

Posted by on Jun. 4, 2014 at 7:42 AM
  • 9 Replies

Can anyone share their curriculum outline for 7th grade with me? I've been looking for some specifics of what they need to do, but having a hard time. I need to get my soon to be 7th grader signed up. he decided he doesn't want to do cyber anymore and HS with my youngest.

by on Jun. 4, 2014 at 7:42 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
TidewaterClan
by on Jun. 4, 2014 at 9:18 AM

Math: AGS Globe Algebra 1

Language Arts: Prentice Hall's Reader's Journey with novels/nonfiction books from each unit, Reading Street, MCP Spelling workout, Prentice Hall Grammar Handbook, MCP Plaid Phonics, MCP Comprehension Plus, Handwriting Without Tears, and Essentials In Writing.

Social Studies: myWorld Geography

Science: ScienceFusion

Foreign Language: First Form Latin, then roll on to Second Form Latin

Health: Harcourt Health

Art: Feed My Sheep 

Music: Study the great composers and piano lessons

That's most of it anyhow! :)

Bleacheddecay
by Bronze Member on Jun. 4, 2014 at 9:39 AM

I would not use an online program. I would use POC4U and craft a curriculum that fit my students learning style.

http://www.diagnosticprescriptive.com/poc4u.html

Roisin07
by Member on Jun. 4, 2014 at 9:45 AM
1 mom liked this

No, i'm not using any online program. He's been in a cyber school for the past 3 years, but wants to join my other 2 this year in being strictly homeschooled by me. I have to submit my curriculum objectives to the school which I already did for my other ones. My son made this decision after I submitted their paperwork to the school! I just want a basic outline of what he will be learning in Math, LA, etc.

Thanks for the info. I'll look that up now.

Quoting Bleacheddecay:

I would not use an online program. I would use POC4U and craft a curriculum that fit my students learning style.

http://www.diagnosticprescriptive.com/poc4u.html

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Jun. 4, 2014 at 12:23 PM

If you're looking for objectives, this could be off base, as each child works at a different pace.

With all things, you should take advantage of any publisher's placement testing, if available, because homeschool curriculum is all over the place in terms of moving fast, moving slow, behind public/cyber programs, ahead of public/cyber programs, etc. For example, if your child was using an on grade level math last year with the cyber school, but you decide to go with CLE or Horizons, don't be surprised if he places "behind" grade level, as these programs are known for being more rigorous and moving faster than others.

With that said, we'll be doing the following for 7th grade with DD12:

Mathematics: summer pre-algebra review with Jousting Armadillos, moving into AOPS Introduction to Algebra in the fall

History: Seton's 8th grade American History and something for civics/government

Science: homegrown biologiy, chemistry, astronomy with labs and an assortment of references/resources

Spelling: Apples and Pears B and C (dd is dyslexic)

Grammar: Seton's English 7 for Young Catholics

Religion: Faith and Life 7 *or* Seton's Witness to the Faith

Writing: Classical Academic Press' "Narrative 2"

Extracurriculars - dance or soccer, parish youth group

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

LostTheSlipper
by Bronze Member on Jun. 4, 2014 at 2:18 PM

Spelling : Abeka ...whatever the 7th grade level is

Grammar: Growing with Grammar Level 7

Writing - UNDECIDED

Math - (he's ahead) Algebra 2

Science - Apologia Physical Science

Bible - What We Believe Series books 3 and 4

History - A combination of Abeka's 6th and 7th grade history books

Literature - Usually goes along with history (I often use Sonlight lists)

Spanish - online classes

Latin/Greek Roots - Word Roots B2 by The Critical Thnking Co.

PE - local homeschool PE classes, martial arts classes, and whatever else comes up during the year

10 week courses:

Health - I'm piecing that together since Abeka doesn't have a separate one like it normally does.Not fully sure everything I'm going to use but it's going to basically be mostly Christian-based sex ed

Music - 60s, 70s, and 80s music (his request based on his favorite local radio station) haven't fully figured that one out

Art - undecided, if it comes down to the wire I'll have him do Way of the Master Track E

Home and Careers - (this is like a home ec type class along with other everyday skills)

Whew!

NYCitymomx3
by Bronze Member on Jun. 4, 2014 at 3:03 PM

My son is currently in 7th grade and this year we used:

• Saxon Algebra 1/2 into Teaching Textbooks Algebra 1 with a few breaks here and there to do Life of Fred Beginning Algebra
  • Apologia General Science (just the experiments and lab reports)
  • K12 Human Odyssey 1 (Ancient History)
  • World Physical Geography (by Runkle)
  • Various novels w/narration and discussion (from Lightning Literature 7)
  • Various grammar and writing workbooks (Daily Sparks, Simple Grammar, Painless Grammar, Jump In, Wordsmith Apprentice)
  • Getting Started with Spanish
Roisin07
by Member on Jun. 4, 2014 at 3:18 PM

Does anyone do their own thing and not use a set curriculum?

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Jun. 4, 2014 at 3:35 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Roisin07:

Does anyone do their own thing and not use a set curriculum?

It looks like we all do. Meaning, we pull from different resources, books, and curricula, and make our own lesson plans. It appears that nobody who responded uses a boxed program.

If you mean pull free resources from scratch, I'll be honest and say that I do not have the patience, nor do I believe that free is always best or advisable.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

jen2150
by Silver Member on Jun. 4, 2014 at 10:25 PM
Math: Life of fred Fractions and Math u see pre algebra.
Language; Write shop for creative writing, life of fred language, and total language plus literature program
Science: simple homeschooling online science program and Bob Jones Life science
History: I do my my own for history using a living book approach.
Computer science: Logo
US Geography: Trail guide to us geography

This is the majority of what I am using. I do a mixture of my own curriculum and various other curriculums that I like

My son is starting 7th grade this year. We are very excited to start next month.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)