Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Probably a silly question but...

Posted by on Jun. 5, 2014 at 8:58 AM
  • 15 Replies

Do you do report cards for each semester or year? I'm obviously just starting this journey and I'm also coming from a teaching background so I was wondering if report cards are required. I always thought of report cards as informing the parents of the students' progress so if you are both parent and teacher is that necessary? Please forgive my ignorance I'm trying to get away from public school mindset (and honestly I always hated doing report cards the most) but I'm trying to get an idea of what records I need. I'm planning on keeping a portfolio of work to demonstrate progress/understanding of skills as well as a list of books read/used and I have a checklist for beginning/middle/end of Kindergarten of things he needs to know like letters, sounds, sight words, concepts about print; and math skills like number recognition, shapes, counting, time, money, measurement...We are in TX and I know the state requirements as far as curriculum goes(I actually don't need to worry about until he is 6 but I'm a planner). Thanks for any advice in advance!

by on Jun. 5, 2014 at 8:58 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kmath
by Silver Member on Jun. 5, 2014 at 9:13 AM

I don't do a report card.  My state doesn't require one and I see no need for one.  I don't give grades.  We work on stuff until he gets it and then move on, so a report card wouldn't work for us anyway.  If you feel like doing one you can, but if your state doesn't require it, I wouldn't worry about it.

Molimomma
by Member on Jun. 5, 2014 at 9:21 AM
1 mom liked this

Thank you, that's pretty much what I was thinking to. When I researched it looks like I don't have to here in TX(I'm pretty in love with TX homeschooling) but then I started to doubt myself again. 

Quoting kmath:

I don't do a report card.  My state doesn't require one and I see no need for one.  I don't give grades.  We work on stuff until he gets it and then move on, so a report card wouldn't work for us anyway.  If you feel like doing one you can, but if your state doesn't require it, I wouldn't worry about it.

Silverkitty
by Bronze Member on Jun. 5, 2014 at 10:47 AM

We do report cards only because our laws require them.  I'd only do end of years grades otherwise.

Leissaintexas
by Bronze Member on Jun. 5, 2014 at 11:36 AM
1 mom liked this
I'm in Texas,too. I don't keep records, and I don't use grades. When the kids were little, they liked to see a big red "A" at the top of the page lol, but I'm just looking for mastery, so we do it till they get it. I used to keep at least one page of work per week for a portfolio, just because I had this irrational fear that someone would ask for proof, but in 8 years, this mysterious person I worried about has never cornered me and demanded proof that I homeschool! Lol. So,no grades,no report cards, no records. That will change of course next year when I have a freshman with plans for college. Transcripts,ugh!
AmyG1976
by Member on Jun. 5, 2014 at 2:15 PM

I never have. I know each of the 3 that are homeschooled are doing. My oldest used a distance learning though the mail school at home they didnt do report cards either they sent all her graded tests back though and the self graded tests well never left the house so we knew how she was doing.

coala
by Silver Member on Jun. 5, 2014 at 2:38 PM

We get them because of the curriculum and program we use.  I actually like them because I send our work in and they re-grade what I have already graded....apparently I am harder on my kids than the people on the other end of this process are.

I personally think we all are different.  As long as you know your child is progressing I don't think you need to worry about anything.

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Jun. 5, 2014 at 2:54 PM

I felt strange at first with not having report card, but then.... I gave my oldest a report card the first couple quarters.  Since we don't move on until he scores 87% or higher on the final worksheets or tests that I give him.  So his grades would be very high, all.the.time.  After the first 2 report cards which I gave to hubby, I just stopped.  I already knew how he was doing and I ended up back-tracking and explaining to DH at each quarter, so it wasn't worth it to take the time to make one.

I keep an excell sheet in my portfolio with all of his test scores all year long for each subject.  

Molimomma
by Member on Jun. 5, 2014 at 5:21 PM

Thanks ladies! 

TheScaryOne
by New Member on Jun. 5, 2014 at 6:43 PM
Next year I'm doing themed rewards instead of report cards and progress reports. They aren't required here anyway and didn't really motivate my kiddos. Instead, I'll keep track of progress and give varying sized prizes depending on the difficulty of the skills mastered. My DS will be attending Jedi Training school and working his way up from Padawan. My DD I'm still deciding what to do, probably end up with Starfleet Academy or similar. By the end of the year they'll have earned a full ensemble with props, costume at end of year so it doesn't get too small. Maybe even some room decorations.
Chasing3
by Bronze Member on Jun. 5, 2014 at 6:58 PM

I did keep some notes this past year on what ds was able to do. I just started wrting a few things in the margins of his reading response journal - which was part of a program we did where he had to write out an answer to a question on what he just read. The first day of "school" he needed 100% help with everything! SO I kind of kept monthly notes on when he started to do things independently. It is interesting to go back and look at. He came really far in one year!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)