Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Saxon moms

Posted by on Jun. 5, 2014 at 5:08 PM
  • 4 Replies
I was given Saxon course 3, and since free is the best.price.ever I really want this to work for us. Is my mathphobic kid going to struggle with this? I have access to two lower levels if need be. I've always avoided Saxon for some reason, but I couldn't pass up free texts! So, give me your reviews.
by on Jun. 5, 2014 at 5:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
NYCitymomx3
by Bronze Member on Jun. 5, 2014 at 8:07 PM

My ds loves Saxon.  We've only used the upper levels so far (7/6 and Algebra 1/2).  We tried switching it up this year with Life of Fred and Teaching Textbooks, but today (in preparation for his standardized test tomorrow) he said Saxon was where he learned everything.  He then asked to go back to it.  

We read the lesson together working out everything on a whiteboard.  Then he does all the practice problems and the 30 in the problem set on the whiteboard.  I love all the review, the way it does the spiral, and the mastery it creates.  We'll probably stick with it.

p.s. I avoided it for the longest time because of the horrible reviews I read through the years.  I can kick myself for following the crowd blindly like that.  Never again, lol.   

Angela

DD(20) Hair Stylist (in training) in downtown Manhattan, graduating in late summer
DD(17) Dancer at the (real) Fame school, performing arts conservatory in the fall 
DS(13) Experiential homeschooler, mixed martial artist, Confirmand

CITYSCHOOLING

Bluerose1482
by Member on Jun. 5, 2014 at 9:12 PM

I love Saxon.  I used it as a supplement for my children when they were in public and now that dd8 is home schooled, we use it as the base for our math program.  I do supplement with extra word problems and problem solving strategies, but I think it would be ok to use as a stand-alone program.

The only critism that I have about Saxon is that I find it runs a year behind.  My dd just finished 2nd and is 25 lessons into saxon 54.  My son is going to 6th (in public) and will be using Saxon Algebra 1/2 next year.  He used Saxon 76 in 5th.  

Leissaintexas
by Bronze Member on Jun. 6, 2014 at 11:14 AM
Thanks ladies!
annabelle125
by Member on Jun. 6, 2014 at 6:34 PM
I used 5/4 with my son. He enjoyed it. Just don't feel like you have to do every single problem. Even my math loving son was overwhelmed with the number if problems per day.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN