Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Socializing my kids...

Posted by on Jun. 6, 2014 at 6:27 PM
  • 17 Replies

I know this may sound like a dumb question to some but how can I socialize my kids?  The only reason they say they want to go back to school is to make friends.  They are six and seven. My son is shy and school was more of a challenge for him.  He didn't make friends easily because he is timid around other kids.  Plus kids are mean and he was the one they liked to pick on.  Although the girls loved him according to his teacher.  He is extremely smart though.  He finished his class in the top 1% in the nation for reading.  He cathces on extremely fast.  This is one reason I think he is more timid.  He is smart and talks about things that other kids have no interest in.  His biggest subjects that he talks and reads about constantly are the Bible and the World Wars.  My son attended K last year and my daughter pre-k.  There are no HS groups where I am.  I live in a very small town in the middle of nothing.  The closest HS groups that I have been told are an hour or more away.  My DH isn't working right now, so I can't really afford to drive them anywhere that far.  I also have a 21 month old and my schedule revoles around her a lot!  I don't know of any other HS families in my area.  Just not sure what to do.  I don't want my kids to feel left out but honestly the only thing that really bothers me is their lack of interaction with other kids...  I am positive I am doing the right thing for them as far as their education.  I have been HS since last August.  Thanks in advance.

by on Jun. 6, 2014 at 6:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
collinsmommy0
by Member on Jun. 6, 2014 at 6:59 PM
3 moms liked this
I would keep searching for homeschool groups, or start one yourself - maybe start a Facebook group with your towns name and '____ homeschool park play dates' and set up a weekly park play date. If you know anyone that homeschools, invite them to join in, or post a flyer up at local churches or the local Starbucks. Go to the library during school hours to see if any homeschoolers are there, too.

Another way is to sign your kids up for something like baseball, Girl Scouts, etc, then make play dates with kids from there.
romacox
by Silver Member on Jun. 6, 2014 at 7:36 PM

What State are you in?

AmPriSi
by on Jun. 6, 2014 at 8:16 PM

North Carolina.

Quoting romacox:

What State are you in?

Knightquester
by Bronze Member on Jun. 6, 2014 at 9:01 PM

Socializing doesn't even have to happen during the daytime hours during the school year.

You can create your own Homeschool group/meet-up and whenever you go places like the park, movies, library or whatever, you can post that and hope there will be others who will join in.

Evening extra curricular classes help get your kids out with others to achieve or learn a common thing.  They are also a good way to get to know a lot of kids at once.

Just spending the evenings where kids their age naturally go, like the park will open up their possibilities.  When they find a friend that they really get along with then teach your children to share their phone number and ask for the other child's in return to meet-up again there.  That's also a good time for you to try and meet that child's parents and introduce yourself.  You don't have to announce you're homeschooling, but it's an easy way to plan meeting up with that same family during the evenings at that same park or place each week, or to invite them for play dates at your home even.  

If your sons play video games on a play system or computer and they want to join any kids their ages they can share gaming tags and ID's to meet-up with those children they do meet and get along with again.

romacox
by Silver Member on Jun. 7, 2014 at 5:11 PM

North Carolinian's For Home Education (your State home school association) has the following web page that allows you to search for support groups near you (for free)

Find A local Home School Group

P.S. Sorry it took so ling for me to check back with you.  We have been working very long hours lately.

Quoting AmPriSi:

North Carolina.

Quoting romacox:

What State are you in?

AmPriSi
by on Jun. 7, 2014 at 9:20 PM
Oh it's fine. I totally understand. Thank you so much for this!! Going to get on my laptop shortly and see what I can find out. I think you have helped me before when I first looked into HS and you are abundant in information! :)

Quoting romacox:

North Carolinian's For Home Education (your State home school association) has the following web page that allows you to search for support groups near you (for free)

P.S. Sorry it took so ling for me to check back with you.  We have been working very long hours lately.

Quoting AmPriSi:

North Carolina.

Quoting romacox:

What State are you in?

Memere60
by Member on Jun. 8, 2014 at 5:13 PM

I had my daughter in gymnastics. Went on field trips with other home school friends. Do you have any friends from church where your kids could hang out with theirs (even if it is on the weekends, if they don't home school)? If your hubby isn't working right now, just hanging out as a family could be fun. I would not put my child in school just so they can have friends. It's only recess and lunch time, anyway. The rest of the time they are in their classroom working.

romacox
by Silver Member on Jun. 8, 2014 at 5:24 PM

How kind you are.  You made my day.

Quoting AmPriSi: Oh it's fine. I totally understand. Thank you so much for this!! Going to get on my laptop shortly and see what I can find out. I think you have helped me before when I first looked into HS and you are abundant in information! :)
Quoting romacox:

Quoting AmPriSi:

North Carolina.

Quoting romacox:

What State are you in?

AmPriSi
by on Jun. 8, 2014 at 5:29 PM
You're very welcome. I generally remember the ones that are extremely helpful. I found two groups. Honestly not sure if one is still active. Haven't been able to get any response. Doesn't show much activity either but maybe something will come up.

Quoting romacox:

Quoting AmPriSi: Oh it's fine. I totally understand. Thank you so much for this!! Going to get on my laptop shortly and see what I can find out. I think you have helped me before when I first looked into HS and you are abundant in information! :)

Quoting romacox:

Quoting AmPriSi:

North Carolina.

Quoting romacox:

What State are you in?

romacox
by Silver Member on Jun. 9, 2014 at 2:33 PM

You can also call the main number to the home school association.  Ours  has been most helpful. 

Quoting AmPriSi: You're very welcome. I generally remember the ones that are extremely helpful. I found two groups. Honestly not sure if one is still active. Haven't been able to get any response. Doesn't show much activity either but maybe something will come up.
Quoting romacox:

Quoting romacox:

Quoting AmPriSi:

North Carolina.

Quoting romacox:

What State are you in?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)