Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

I know this may sound like a dumb question to some but how can I socialize my kids?  The only reason they say they want to go back to school is to make friends.  They are six and seven. My son is shy and school was more of a challenge for him.  He didn't make friends easily because he is timid around other kids.  Plus kids are mean and he was the one they liked to pick on.  Although the girls loved him according to his teacher.  He is extremely smart though.  He finished his class in the top 1% in the nation for reading.  He cathces on extremely fast.  This is one reason I think he is more timid.  He is smart and talks about things that other kids have no interest in.  His biggest subjects that he talks and reads about constantly are the Bible and the World Wars.  My son attended K last year and my daughter pre-k.  There are no HS groups where I am.  I live in a very small town in the middle of nothing.  The closest HS groups that I have been told are an hour or more away.  My DH isn't working right now, so I can't really afford to drive them anywhere that far.  I also have a 21 month old and my schedule revoles around her a lot!  I don't know of any other HS families in my area.  Just not sure what to do.  I don't want my kids to feel left out but honestly the only thing that really bothers me is their lack of interaction with other kids...  I am positive I am doing the right thing for them as far as their education.  I have been HS since last August.  Thanks in advance.

by on Jun. 6, 2014 at 6:27 PM
Replies (11-17):
mommy2girls0506
by Member on Jun. 9, 2014 at 10:43 PM

Look for homeschooling groups around your area.

AmPriSi
by on Jun. 10, 2014 at 12:05 AM
I have. There is nothing close. Everything is over and hour or two away.

Quoting mommy2girls0506:

mommy2girls0506
by Member on Jun. 10, 2014 at 4:09 PM

That stinks I know how that feels I live pretty far from everything too and my kids are the same way but there is a homeschool group here that does meet ups every week so we go do that.

Quoting AmPriSi: I have. There is nothing close. Everything is over and hour or two away.
Quoting mommy2girls0506:

AmPriSi
by on Jun. 10, 2014 at 7:29 PM
That's what I'm looking for too. Just a group that we could meet up and mingle with once a week. I haven't had any luck with the yahoo groups. Only two were supposed to be active in my county and so they haven't yielded any response. My SIL also HS but she is an hour away and she sort of drives me bonkers. She knows what's best for you and she's never met you. Don't feel like explaining why I chose the particular curriculum I teach, etcetera. She has a 6 & 3 year old. My son still wouldn't have anyone to play with other than girls.

Quoting mommy2girls0506:

That stinks I know how that feels I live pretty far from everything too and my kids are the same way but there is a homeschool group here that does meet ups every week so we go do that.

Quoting AmPriSi: I have. There is nothing close. Everything is over and hour or two away.

Quoting mommy2girls0506:

mommy2girls0506
by Member on Jun. 11, 2014 at 2:26 AM
1 mom liked this

I'm sorry I totally understand though and I hope you find something.

Quoting AmPriSi: That's what I'm looking for too. Just a group that we could meet up and mingle with once a week. I haven't had any luck with the yahoo groups. Only two were supposed to be active in my county and so they haven't yielded any response. My SIL also HS but she is an hour away and she sort of drives me bonkers. She knows what's best for you and she's never met you. Don't feel like explaining why I chose the particular curriculum I teach, etcetera. She has a 6 & 3 year old. My son still wouldn't have anyone to play with other than girls.
Quoting mommy2girls0506:

Quoting mommy2girls0506:

hipmomto3
by Bronze Member on Jun. 11, 2014 at 4:42 PM
Do they play Minecraft? My oldest has done several Minecraft Homeschool classes & met other kids in game. Obvs not exactly the same as face to face but she's really enjoyed it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AmPriSi
by on Jun. 12, 2014 at 9:21 AM
No what is that? I know my nephew plays minecraft but I don't really know anything about it.

Quoting hipmomto3: Do they play Minecraft? My oldest has done several Minecraft Homeschool classes & met other kids in game. Obvs not exactly the same as face to face but she's really enjoyed it.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)