Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

OT: Messy house

Posted by on Jun. 6, 2014 at 7:05 PM
  • 29 Replies

Is your house a mess?  4 kids, a husband, working part time, homeschooling....I can't keep mine clean and it's driving me crazy!  They have chores but it's still a mess most of the time. 

by on Jun. 6, 2014 at 7:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bcogoli
by Member on Jun. 6, 2014 at 7:37 PM
1 mom liked this

My house is sorta clean. I find that no matter how much I do I always have laundry or dishes or something to do. It is challenging but I find it more rewarding to spend time with the family than worrying about the house. However I should be folding laundry instead of  being online. lol

No_Difference
by Silver Member on Jun. 6, 2014 at 8:10 PM
1 mom liked this

Mine is in constant disaster...it dirves me BONKERS. Hubby is retired so he's ALWAYS home to help perpetuate the mess, and has a thousand excuses as to why he can't help clean... The kids have chores too, but they are minimal chores. We have about 3 projects going at any given time contributing to the messes, and there just aren't enough hours in the day for me to get these jobs done...and no one else will do them after they're started, I'm stuck finishing them. There is always laundry piles in the living room on the floor - either dirty that needs to go to the basement, or clean piles waiting for their owners to put 'em away, and they never do it seems. Just grabbing the clothes as needed :/  Dishes are always over the counters no matter how many times I get them to the sink (the kids ONE chore is to do the dishes twice a day. Put the clean dishes away in the morning, and put the dirty ones in the dishwasher in the evening). 
When I do manage to get the house clean, I find the dust has settled about an hr later just as thick as when I cleaned it up, and all the cleaned off surfaces are cluttered again as soon as I go back into that room. I have completely given up. I can't do it by myself, and I've thrown in the white flag. The house is never filthy filthy, but it is usually a cluttered mess :(  

incogNinja
by on Jun. 6, 2014 at 8:10 PM
4 kids and a baby yeah. I don't even care.
coala
by Silver Member on Jun. 6, 2014 at 9:12 PM
2 moms liked this

We are funtionally clean.  I hate to admit this but I have been using Fly Lady.  Her tips and tricks are saving my sanity.  She starts with super baby steps...most of us don't need to go that deep and are in general pretty good, but she raises some great points.  I work in one area and one area only for 15 mins at a time.  This helps me to know that I have focused time in a particular spot and my kids know not to bother me while I'm in my routine.

Currently we are packing to move so it looks like a bomb has gone off in our living/dining room area.

kmath
by Silver Member on Jun. 6, 2014 at 10:12 PM

It is cluttered more than anything.  I feel like I am constantly picking up, doing dishes or laundry or some other chore and there are only two of us.  I can't imagine 6 people to pick up after!  I work part time and go to school on top of homeschooling so I tend to cut myself some slack. 

chotovec82
by Bronze Member on Jun. 6, 2014 at 10:14 PM
I have 3 kids. 2 homeschool and one preschooler. We have 3-4 speech therapies a week and we usually go to an indoor play area or outside most of the time and my house is fairly clean. I've learned that chores do not help our household. I have taught all my kids to clean up after themselves. You play wiht a toy then once you are done you pick it up. You eat your dinner, take your plate back to the kitchen and dump out any remaining food and put the dish in the sink. You then come back and wipe off your part of the table if you made a huge mess. Dirty laundry goes downstairs in the laundry room right after you are done getting dressed. On the weekends, I clean the bathrooms, kitchen, and vacuum. The dishes are done night. My husband chooses one of our kids to help him do them. I wash a load or two of laundry daily. I fold them automatically once they have dried. We have a laundry table in the laundry room which i stack the clothes on. During the weekend the clothing gets put away. I scoop the litter box on Fridays and change the urine pad. My house stays fairly clean this way.
jen2150
by Silver Member on Jun. 6, 2014 at 10:30 PM
My bathrooms and living room is spic and span. Minus boxes and boxes of books in my living room. LOL My kitchen is a disaster but I will get there eventually. It seems that all the areas are never clean at the same time but I am happy they always get there. I have philosophy make priorites, do what I can and don't worry about those things I can't get to. Don't be too hard on yourself. No matter what time for ourselves and our children is what has to come first.
hwblyf
by Silver Member on Jun. 7, 2014 at 12:05 AM

It drives me up a wall, too.  5 kids, a work from home husband, homeschooling, scouts, the fact that I'm not naturally a cleaner....all these contribute.  And with 4 boys, I'm fairly certain their bathroom is a place I don't want my bare flesh to touch....

Molimomma
by Member on Jun. 7, 2014 at 8:15 AM

My house is really clean right now because I just finished major cleaning before my mom got here last night to stay for a month. I literally finished cleaning about 4 hours before she got here and I started working on it last week. I never vaccum or dust as often as I should but thankfully we only have carpet upstairs so it's not so bad. The living room usually looks like a toy store exploded in it no matter how many baskets and shelves I have to organize the toys. The kitchen is my never ending battle. Seems like there are always dishes, crumbs, jelly smears and another meal to be made. For some reason no matter how often I clear off the table and kitchen island there are always piles of chaos it's the dumping ground and it makes me crazy. I flat out refuse to have pets because my mom always did and I can't take the messes they add.

Leissaintexas
by Bronze Member on Jun. 7, 2014 at 10:54 AM
Mine could be technically clean, but still look messy, kwim? 1200 sq ft for 4 people, an older home not designed with storage in mind...yeah, it could be perfectly clean, and still look like a wreck.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)