Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Would you do this?

Posted by on Jun. 7, 2014 at 8:07 PM
  • 16 Replies

Would you go into debt to pay for curriculum? As in apply for a loan to pay for the curriculum you wanted, or would you go a cheaper route and save money for the next year? 

by on Jun. 7, 2014 at 8:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Jun. 7, 2014 at 8:36 PM
1 mom liked this

No.  I don't believe I would go into debt for our curriculum.  There are inexpensive options out there. 

TidewaterClan
by on Jun. 7, 2014 at 9:15 PM

No debt until college, lol.  Seriously though, there are tons of good used books on Amazon, books to borrow at the library, etc.  I wouldn't go into debt myself.

somuchlove4U
by Bronze Member on Jun. 7, 2014 at 9:36 PM

I agree. I wouldn't take a loan out for homeschooling. Especially when I know I can do it cheaply. I'm asking because I just recently heard of someone close to me getting a loan so they could buy the curriculum they wanted. It blew my mind. Especially since she knows that there are cheaper options out there. 

Quoting TidewaterClan:

No debt until college, lol.  Seriously though, there are tons of good used books on Amazon, books to borrow at the library, etc.  I wouldn't go into debt myself.

Bluerose1482
by Member on Jun. 7, 2014 at 9:43 PM

It depends on what the cirriculum was and why I felt like I had to have that particular one.  But generally, my finances are such that I can afford what we want/need without a loan.

Quoting somuchlove4U:

I agree. I wouldn't take a loan out for homeschooling. Especially when I know I can do it cheaply. I'm asking because I just recently heard of someone close to me getting a loan so they could buy the curriculum they wanted. It blew my mind. Especially since she knows that there are cheaper options out there. 

Quoting TidewaterClan:

jen2150
by Silver Member on Jun. 8, 2014 at 7:51 AM
Never. We are planning on teaching our kids not to go into debt for anything including college. One of the reasons I do my own history is because the ones I like are too expensive.
hwblyf
by Silver Member on Jun. 8, 2014 at 9:08 AM

Yeah, I think going into debt for curriculum is a bad idea.  That said, our financial situation changed for this year and I'm sad to forego all my books.  Addictions can't always be fed, though!

kmath
by Silver Member on Jun. 8, 2014 at 9:15 AM

I wouldn't do it.  If I can't afford it then I don't need it.  There are so many options out there that don't require selling a kidney and they are just as good as the expensive ones.

HarrisonMD
by Member on Jun. 8, 2014 at 10:52 AM

I'm cheap! lol...so I always find stuff at cost or free! Right now the kids are little, 4 and 2 so curriculum right now is easy!

Codysmom2106
by Member on Jun. 8, 2014 at 11:40 AM
1 mom liked this

No I wouldn't. I have enough debt as it is. I'm putting money aside every week to pay for next years curriculum. 

Bleacheddecay
by Bronze Member on Jun. 8, 2014 at 12:07 PM

There is no way I would go into debt over schooling.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN