Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Would you go into debt to pay for curriculum? As in apply for a loan to pay for the curriculum you wanted, or would you go a cheaper route and save money for the next year? 

by on Jun. 7, 2014 at 8:07 PM
Replies (11-16):
somuchlove4U
by Bronze Member on Jun. 8, 2014 at 12:35 PM

That's what we are doing. Right now we aren't able to afford the curriculum I want for my daughter so we are saving up and going a cheaper route. 

Quoting Codysmom2106:

No I wouldn't. I have enough debt as it is. I'm putting money aside every week to pay for next years curriculum. 

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Jun. 8, 2014 at 12:52 PM

I'm actually going to go against the crowd here a little bit.

It depends. I think it's nice and idealistic to say you can always find something suitable and "as good" for free or cheap, but not always true. It isn't something new homeschoolers, especially those on a very tight budget, want to hear, but there it is. Especially if you throw a learning disability into the mix.

In general, though, when we're speaking of neurotypical children and the preferred, out of reach, program is simply more DESIRABLE vs NECESSARY, no, I would not advise it.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

coala
by Silver Member on Jun. 9, 2014 at 3:44 PM

I don't reccomend going into debt for much....curriculum certainly isn't on the list.  We buy a pricier program, but we LOVE it.  If we couldn't afford this option we would certianly be after less expensive ones.

forest.gyrl
by Member on Jun. 11, 2014 at 4:11 PM
1 mom liked this

Absolutely not. I am teaching my kids need to learn financial responsibility and this is not how it is done. The kids actually work with me to find their curriculum and they get a thrill if we can get it all for a low cost. It's pretty easy to do actually.  

hipmomto3
by Bronze Member on Jun. 11, 2014 at 4:39 PM
No. I do use a payment installment plan but there is no interest/fee for it.

Also our co-op classes can get expensive so I try to start putting money aside from each paycheck for that a couple months beforehand.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sweetr0se
by Member on Jun. 14, 2014 at 2:50 PM

I wouldn't do it but if you believe that you can pay it back and have plan in place that you feel strongly about, then don't let anyone discourage you.

Personally, I found a free way of teaching my child at home and found something that I believe strongly that will work for him and can socialize him with other children in the process

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)