Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Secular science

Posted by on Jun. 9, 2014 at 11:25 AM
  • 6 Replies

Does anyone know of a secular book or curriculum for 2nd grade science?  This last year we mostly used an unschooler method for science since almost everything can be broken down in such a way.  My son could ask something about the moon and he'd end up getting an involved lesson on gravity, or light rays and reflection, etc.  I have Building Foundations for Scientific Understanding and I love it (I've learned so much!), but it's a real pain preparing for each lesson.

by on Jun. 9, 2014 at 11:25 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
jen2150
by Silver Member on Jun. 9, 2014 at 11:47 AM
1 mom liked this
Real science for kids, Real Science Odyssey, and I am currently doing an online option. There are probably many other but those are the ones I used. I would say I prefer RSO over RS4K. RSO is a lot more laid out. I would add living books to it on the science topic. Have you sat down and wrote science topics he is interested in. Maybe you could do a combination of following is lead with topics and following something more laid out. Good luck in whatever you decide. Simple homeschooling website has online and printable topics for k-12. They are my favorite so far.
95seahawk
by New Member on Jun. 10, 2014 at 6:07 AM
1 mom liked this

I've heard good things about Science Fusion but haven't personally used it.  Here's a link to it.

http://www.hmhco.com/shop/k12/ScienceFusion/9780547746548

Good luck with your search. 

No_Difference
by Silver Member on Jun. 10, 2014 at 7:16 AM
1 mom liked this

Another one is Elemental Science
Good luck 

lisayvonne
by on Jun. 10, 2014 at 8:01 AM
1 mom liked this

I use Beestar as a curriculum to teach DD science. Concepts are advanced than what she is being taught at school. Exercises are interesting and challenging.

Lisa

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Jun. 10, 2014 at 9:30 AM
2 moms liked this

We use McGraw-Hill Science as our spine text.  IMO it is a bit young on the language/comprehension spectrum but is a solid science foundation with plenty of materials to help with planning and prep.  It was the science text used at our local PS before they adopted CC and changed their curriculum.

I have taught from Houghton-Mifflin and MacDougal-Littel in English when I taught in the PS.  Both of those have good Science texts with lots of supplemental materials available to make planning and prep easier.

TidewaterClan
by on Jun. 10, 2014 at 10:23 AM
2 moms liked this

Elyssa enjoyed Science Fusion last year for 2nd.  Haley is going to continue with it for 7th.

Elyssa wanted a book-based science this year (versus pc like Science Fusion).  We purchased Scott Foresman Science, and have scoured through the animal section already.  The labs for each unit are on distinct pages, and have materials listed on the side with pictures, so it should be fairly easy for Elyss to help get things together for them.  Or do them on her own which she already has!  I think ours is the 2010 edition, but the 2006 is pretty cheap on Amazon. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)