Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

So, has anyone else done a complete 180 in their plans for next year (I have, lol!)?

Posted by on Jun. 9, 2014 at 3:12 PM
  • 10 Replies

Well, for some things I have. I'm sticking with most of my plans for DS5, as we started months ago, but are breaking for summer (too much going on to consistently keep going). His plan remains the same at:

Math: CLE and Miquon

Phonics/Reading: PAL Reading w/ Little Angel Readers

Handwriting: Seton Handwriting K

Spelling: Apples and Pears A

Religion, history, science are literature based. If his handwriting is up to it, I'll add in PAL Writing second semester.

But for DD12, my plans have changed a bit. The modern world history text I want to use, is too far above her head, reading ability-wise (dyslexic), and I'm not willing to sacrifice the pleasant narrative style OR the catholic content, so we're going to wait another year for that. I've also changed writing, grammar, and math (a bit):

Maths: Review pre-algebra with Jousting Armadillos this summer. This fall we'll start AOPS Intro to Algebra three days a week, and Patty Paper Geometry once a week (we take off Fridays).

Science: a lovely mama on another board wrote a great plan for my science loving gal. This year we'll be pooling from different resources to creat a discovery based, project based plan for studying astronomy, biology, and some chemistry. DH will also do some electrical engineering/computer science with her.

Spelling: Apples and Pears books B and C

History: United States History 8 for Young Catholics (Seton Press). Second semester we will add some government/civics related literature.

Literature: Garlic Press' community bundle (The Giver, Lord of the Flies, and To Kill a Mockingbird - I think). This will be "team reading", so that it isn't overwhelming for her. She also has some history related literature that she chose - The Diary of a Young Girl, and some other WWII era/Holocaust books.

Writing: Classical Academic Press' Writing and Rhetoric: Level 2

Grammar: Seton English 7 for Young Catholics

Religion: Faith and Life 7, literature (the Ablaze books, saint stories; My Muslim Friend, and My Jewish Friend for comparative religion)

and an ASL class through Homeschool Connections, I think.

I've ordered almost everything, so I won't be as tempted to change my mind - again ;P

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

by on Jun. 9, 2014 at 3:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Codysmom2106
by Member on Jun. 9, 2014 at 3:57 PM

I know what I would like to get. We'll have to see when the time comes to actually order it. 

NYCitymomx3
by Bronze Member on Jun. 9, 2014 at 4:43 PM

I keep switching things.  

Math:  ds really wants to do Life of Fred (Beginning Algebra into Advanced Algebra) for 8th grade.  We're using it now over the summer a few days a week.   We also have Teaching Textbooks Algebra 1 and Saxon Algebra 1/2 on hand along with Algebra for Dummies, Painless Algebra, and No Fear Algebra (leftovers from his sisters).  They're always good to have for extra problems and different ways of explaining certain concepts.  

English:  I have so much leftover from my girls that it's silly to buy anything new.  We'll be using a mixed bag of Wordsmith Apprentice, Jump In, Daily Sparks Spelling & Grammar, Daily Sparks Vocabulary, Painless Vocabulary, Painless Grammar, Simply Grammar, and Basic Series Grammar & Usage.  It's a lot, but ds likes to switch things up every so often.  Nothing really builds on previous lessons, so it should work fine.  

Literature:  I'm sticking with Shel Silverstein poetry since ds loves it and it helps his reading ability (visual processing disorder causing dyslexia and dysgraphia).  We'll also try to read at least 3 novels with narrations and discussions.  I have so many on my shelf - we'll just choose what sounds good. 

Science:  We'll finish Apologia General Science over the summer - we really just do the great experiments and base the lesson off of those.  For 8th grade I'll either get Apologia Physical Science (again mainly for the experiments) or use the Holt Science & Technology Series Physical Science since I already have that one on hand.  Ds doesn't care for it, though.  I'll see how the Apologia goes over the summer.  If it's a real big hit I'll get the next one.  Ds gets writing in with the lab reports, as well.

Geography:  We're happy with Runkle's and will continue it through 8th grade.  We're also starting Our Great Restaurant Adventure this summer where we'll go to a different ethnic restaurant every 2 weeks, then study that country for the 2 weeks until the next one.  We're going alphabetically and starting with Afghan cuisine next Wednesday.  Can't wait!

History:  We'll finish K12 Human Odyssey 1 (Ancients) hopefully sometime in the fall and move on to Volume 2.  WE also have The Complete Book of World History which is a fun and concise supplement.

Spanish:  Getting Started with Spanish is by far the best book for ds.  He does this completely independently.  It's a spiral program that builds on the previous lessons.  Ds reads, translates, and conjugates in every lesson.  Love this.   

Miscellaneous:  Summer Bridge Gr. 7-8 and Summer Express Gr. 7-8 are great for a variety of subject work any time of year.  Spectrum Gr. 8 Test Prep for basic skills, and Artistic Pursuits Junior High Book One for art, but ds isn't really into this.  I'll try it again over the summer.

Religion:  He goes to CCD once a week and will make his Confirmation in the spring.

P.E.:  He goes to Mixed Martial Arts 3 days a week (4-5 classes) doing Muay Thai and Brazilian Jiu jitsu.

Angela

DD(20) Hair Stylist (in training) in downtown Manhattan, graduating in late summer
DD(17) Dancer at the (real) Fame school, performing arts conservatory in the fall 
DS(13) Experiential homeschooler, mixed martial artist, Confirmand

CITYSCHOOLING

debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Jun. 9, 2014 at 4:49 PM

I have. 

My ds 5 is now going to be using hooked on phonics instead of sing spell read and write.

He will be doing A+ tutor for math. Instead of Saxon I think.

DD7 will be doing hooked on Phonics and a few easier chapter books for reading and Math U See Gamma for math.  She will also be doing IEW for handwriting.

dd 4 is going to preschool

jen2150
by Silver Member on Jun. 9, 2014 at 7:05 PM
I don't know about a 180 but added a literature language program. My plans are otherwise very consistent. Books and new program are coming and I am having a hard time waiting. I am not a patient person. I usually do my own history so I am still working on compiling my book list for that. I am using more ebooks to save money.
LostTheSlipper
by Member on Jun. 9, 2014 at 7:10 PM

Reconsidering what I was planning to do for writing (which was find an online option). Possibly a switch in a few others, but not much. I only have about a month to decide and I'm waaaaaaaay behind at this point in terms of scheduling for next year!

Bluecalm
by Bronze Member on Jun. 9, 2014 at 11:22 PM
I've been doing A+ with my son this summer through the free trial and really like it. I'm planning to use it this year too.

Quoting debramommyof4:

I have. 

My ds 5 is now going to be using hooked on phonics instead of sing spell read and write.

DD7 will be doing hooked on Phonics and a few easier chapter books for reading and Math U See Gamma for math.  She will also be doing IEW for handwriting.

debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Jun. 9, 2014 at 11:52 PM

I love it.  The free trial has been awesome.

Quoting Bluecalm: I've been doing A+ with my son this summer through the free trial and really like it. I'm planning to use it this year too.
Quoting debramommyof4:

I have. 

chotovec82
by Bronze Member on Jun. 10, 2014 at 1:24 AM
I'm switching things up a lot. I recently came upon the site, Amblesideonline.com and started to read into it and the Charlotte Mason ideology and I've realized that I quite enjoy it. So this year the boys and I are following that site a lot more. We sort of did some of it last semester but this year we're definitly going to do it more to the "T," I suppose. We're also doing a few new programs. We're going to do learning language arts through literature and English for the Thinking child (something like that). We're also doing sequential spelling with the LLATL and Alpha Phonics with my middle son. So pretty much Language arts has been revamped. Math is staying the same- Math U See, we're still doing LOF, we're still doing explode the code for my oldest, so a lot of change and a lot of hte same.
TidewaterClan
by on Jun. 10, 2014 at 11:24 AM

How nice of your friend to create a science plan, and for your dh to add his expertise to her lessons.  With the rest of your selections, and her wonderful teacher, she should do so much better this coming year.  :)

No changes, but I'm going to add extra science features to our week.  Little dd is still interested in all things medical, so I'm going to include detailed lessons on how things work: eyes, respiratory system, digestive system, etc.  My older daughter loves physics, so I'll teach her how to implement the scientific method to complete basic tests, and let her work her way up.

Aside from that we're going to use Barry Stebbing's "Feed My Sheep" for art.  It's Christian-based but supposed to be non-denominational, and incorporate the Bible without pushing Mr. Stebbing's own views.  I'm looking forward to it, since the girls can watch the video and then use the thick workbook to do all of their artwork.  It should be a simple way to ensure they have an art lesson each week.

No_Difference
by Silver Member on Jun. 10, 2014 at 1:34 PM

The only thing we really keep flip flopping on history/geography for Jamie. A lot of history programs I find have either a religious slant to them, which I don't want, or are too reading intensive for her. I did find a really awesome website we were planning on using to make up our own thing, but we were suddenly slammed with too much to do, and it just keeps piling, and I didn't think I could get what I wanted put together before we start next school year, and there is no way I'd be able to keep up with it once we start. So then we decided that it would probably be better to just focus on geography instead, so we purchased some geography stuff, but the more I look at it, the more I still feel like it is lacking in something. So I'll probably use the geography curriculum we bought as the backbone to base off culture studies, which would go a little into history. Then depending on how long we take to do it, then we might circle back and look at ancient cultures from her favorite countries.... I don't konw though... its all over the place right now lol

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)