Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

When did you start reading to your kids?

Posted by on Jun. 10, 2014 at 2:38 PM
  • 22 Replies

At what age did you start reading to your kids?

Do you think that this helped them when it came time to learn to read themselves?

Do your kids now like to read?

I  have been reading to my son for years but he has a short attention span and gets bored easily no matter how engaging a story is. I end up either reading shorter works or self editing while reading to him. 

by on Jun. 10, 2014 at 2:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kmath
by Silver Member on Jun. 10, 2014 at 3:07 PM
2 moms liked this

I've been reading to DS since he was in utero.  LOL!  I like reading out loud so even when he was small I would read to him.  Once he got interested in the pictures I switched to books he liked instead of just whatever I was reading.  We still read a couple of chapters a night and take turns on who reads.  Not sure if it helped him or not, but we both enjoy the time spent together and he would rather listen to me read than read himself.

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Jun. 10, 2014 at 3:19 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm from the in utero camp as well.  Research does show heavy correlation between children whose parents read to them and reading/comprehension ability, so I would say yes it helped.  Yes all of the ones who are of age to read do enjoy reading.

dj.aleks
by New Member on Jun. 10, 2014 at 3:29 PM
I have 4 kids and started reading to them all just after they were born. I think all kids are different, my oldest doesn't stop reading but my 2 boys do prefer to have stories read to them and my youngest doesn't read yet. It is an awesome way to spent time together!
squeekers
by on Jun. 10, 2014 at 3:35 PM

From about 9 months old, Great Gramma would sit with DD, for hours, and read everything you could think of. In time DD had learned baby sign and then to speak. Around 19 months old, she could recite by memory one entire story.

bcogoli
by Member on Jun. 10, 2014 at 3:43 PM

I have been reading to them since they were in utero and I do feel that has helped them have a love of reading.  We read alot in our family and my oldest just learned to read and now he reads to his sisters.

hwblyf
by Silver Member on Jun. 10, 2014 at 4:03 PM

In utero.  And TONS once they were born.  I have 5, ages 11 down to 5, and they all enjoy books in whatever way they can do it (my youngest is now starting to read himself).    I hate to say that of course there's a 100% correlation between our time together reading and their love of reading, but I would say it's a positive experience for them that they extend into their own time.  We all still read together out loud, too.  It helps them read something above their level and then we talk about literary devices and such.

MaryJarrett
by Member on Jun. 10, 2014 at 4:08 PM
In utero here too. My oldest is an avid reader. I'm talking she wants to read labels and everything. My middle loves being read to. My youngest is 8m and would rather eat the books still. I keep reading to them.
Mandallyn
by Member on Jun. 10, 2014 at 4:14 PM
I started reading to my oldest at about 1 year. I would involve him in looking at the pictures and making up stories about why a character had a certain expression or completing a task. Anything to help him learn to focus on the books.
When he started learning about words and reading I would trace my index finger under each word as I read it. I still do that for my younger children. My oldest son almost always reads to me now.
My younger children have always had nighttime stories and stated participating as soon as they were able to.
Mommy2Phenley
by Bronze Member on Jun. 10, 2014 at 5:35 PM
In utero. After birth I would read board books to them when they could look. But I'd also read longer books to them while they nursed.

Both my kids love reading and bring us books all throughout the day. My 5 yo is reading at a 3rd- 4th grade reading level.

I also use sign language with them from birth and I think that has a great impact as well.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
GodsAmiga
by Member on Jun. 10, 2014 at 7:07 PM

I read to my kids from the get-go and now that my two oldest kids are older (5 and 4) I read chapter books to them before bed. Yes, I do think it helped my kids become interested in reading and learn to read. They love books! My 14 month old son isn't as interested in sitting while I read as his sisters were but he likes to hear me reading while he lays. :-)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)