Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

When did you start reading to your kids?

Posted by   + Show Post

At what age did you start reading to your kids?

Do you think that this helped them when it came time to learn to read themselves?

Do your kids now like to read?

I  have been reading to my son for years but he has a short attention span and gets bored easily no matter how engaging a story is. I end up either reading shorter works or self editing while reading to him. 

by on Jun. 10, 2014 at 2:38 PM
Replies (11-20):
No_Difference
by Silver Member on Jun. 10, 2014 at 7:15 PM
The night they were born. I read tons and tons. My oldest still hates reading and struggled to do so and her comprehension is not at grade level either. My little guy on the other hand lobes books, pretends to read even though he actually can, and begs to be read to every night.
jen2150
by Silver Member on Jun. 10, 2014 at 8:23 PM
Between 2 or 3 as soon as they would sit still long enough for me to read to them. When they were really young I would read out loud as they played. The more you read to them the longer their attention span gets. Kids develop differently. I used to be worried with my first child when he wouldn't sit still enough for me to read to him abound 2 years old. One day his attention span made a giant leap. They are 10 and 11 and we still read a lot together. I think reading together is the best first step to them loving books and becoming avid readers. Reading though has a very large age gap. Some kids just take longer. Some kids are naturally avid readers and others take time to develop. I don't think all kids will read the same amount either. I think the most important part is enjoying what you are reading. Also make sure they see you reading every day as well.
aurora.dove
by Member on Jun. 10, 2014 at 8:27 PM
With DS I've been reading to him since I was pregnant with him. He's 3 now and loves listening to stories. DSD's mom did the same thing with her and we started them both out with tag readers pretty early. DSD could recall books pretty easily after hearing them once, and once she started school began reading pretty quickly. She'll be in 3rd grade next year and is reading on a 6th grade comprehension level.
Abigailhayden
by on Jun. 10, 2014 at 8:48 PM
I started when they were infants. Nursery rhyme books .
Bleacheddecay
by Bronze Member on Jun. 10, 2014 at 8:59 PM

From birth I was reading to my kids. My oldest HATED being read to or sung to. It really hurt.

My youngest loved being read to.

My oldest LOVES to read. My youngest is a reluctant reader.

chotovec82
by Bronze Member on Jun. 10, 2014 at 10:20 PM
I started reading to them before they were even a year old. However, it was very sporadic. Up until last year did it become consistant and now I read to them almost every single night and I even to read them during the day. I wish I would have been consistant with them from he get-go.
Kaliary
by on Jun. 10, 2014 at 10:36 PM

Day 1. I think so, it has given him an appriciation for reading. :) My son LOVES to read. My daughter is still in the 'let me eat the book' phase. LOL. 

baby 

baby

Leissaintexas
by Bronze Member on Jun. 11, 2014 at 10:20 AM
I read to all mine from the beginning. 2 of them are readers,but my youngest just isn't into it. He still likes for me to read to him at night, but hand him a book and he just shuts down. He hates to read. He's 11.
coala
by Silver Member on Jun. 11, 2014 at 3:45 PM

I was reading to my DD from the time she was able to sit in my lap and I could hold a book.  She wouldn't let me read to her after she started walking....unless she didn't feel well.  Then I would have to read EVERY book on the bookshelf several times for about 2-3 days.  She started pre-reading at 22 mos and full reading 6 weeks before her 4th birthday.  She turns 6 in about 2 weeks.

forest.gyrl
by Member on Jun. 11, 2014 at 4:02 PM

I started at birth honestly. The babies would be in their sling or laying in my lap as I read. They all love to read now or be read to. Even my older ones love to just lay back and have me read books to all of them. It relaxes them. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN