Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

When did you start reading to your kids?

Posted by   + Show Post

At what age did you start reading to your kids?

Do you think that this helped them when it came time to learn to read themselves?

Do your kids now like to read?

I  have been reading to my son for years but he has a short attention span and gets bored easily no matter how engaging a story is. I end up either reading shorter works or self editing while reading to him. 

by on Jun. 10, 2014 at 2:38 PM
Replies (21-22):
Scribbleprints
by Member on Jun. 11, 2014 at 11:48 PM

I started reading "Brown Bear, Brown Bear" to my oldest when he was an infant.  He was reaching out to turn the pages of that book when he was 2 months old.  He was memorizing pretty long books (Stellaluna, Dr. Suess Books) by age 3, and by age four he was reading. He's now 11 and reading several grade levels ahead.    I also read with my second child but he wasn't reading as early if I remember.  I  think he was just beginning to read short "Bob" style books by Kindergarten.  He's also reading ahead of his grade though not as far ahead as his older brother.   He's not as avid a reader as his older brother but still enjoys reading sometimes.  

Things went differently with my youngest.  Both of my older two needed a lot of extra attention to get to sleep, and that involved reading them stories.  My youngest liked songs better when he wanted anything at all.  He LOVED sleeping...and would actually get mad at long bedtime routines and just wanted to get to sleep quickly as as possible at night, so we didn't read with him as much early on.  I tried reading to him but he wasn't as interested in sitting still to read so I didn't read as much with him otherwise too.  When we did start to read bedtime stories regularly  to him (much later...about age 3) he really liked stories told in the first person and liked to talk to the characters so it was a lot of looking at the pictures and ad libbing.  In retrospect I can see where that made it harder for him to make the connection between the words and the text--though it did get him interested in books more.  

Anyways, he wasn't reading before school, and still isn't reading after his first year of Kindergarten...or actually, I'll say he's just started.  We got him the Bob books to work with over the summer and he just started sounding out the words (he could name all the sounds and even spell long words by sounding them out but couldn't blend the sounds to say one syllable until this month.)  We are going to try to catch him up this summer and if he doesn't may do homeschooling or try a private school if we can afford it.  

So anyways, all that t say that, yes, I really see where early exposure to books and being read to very early can help.  

* (I don't homeschool...thought I should clarify...just come here to for advice on the supplemental subjects I teach my kids and helping my youngest.  I'm considering homeschooling my youngest.)

Kiss-Me-Kate
by New Member on Jun. 12, 2014 at 8:56 PM

Birth.

I read to her every day and night from the day she was born. I've also sang to/with her every day, and I talked to her all day when she was a baby. I kept her in a sling, she was held pretty much 24/7, so she heard my voice all day except when she was asleep.

I think she's benefitted from it. She has very strong language skills for her age, always has, though she seems more inclined to math/science. Can't take credit for that one!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)