Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Hi there,

I was wondering if you ladies had a suggestion for some sort of learning aid for math, I dont know even what they are called but basically my DD 7 has some trouble grasping math concepts but I learned that if I incorporated something she can touch she gets it right away, we used legos but it was pretty limited because she doesn't have that many and she likes to put them together and leave them that way and gets upset if I have to take them apart for math, so I am looking for something I can use specifically for this, like beads or something.  I am trying to look for something but my mind keeps drawing a blank.

by on Jun. 12, 2014 at 10:22 AM
Replies (11-15):
Knightquester
by Bronze Member on Jun. 16, 2014 at 2:41 PM

You're looking for manipulatives.

oahoah
by Member on Jun. 16, 2014 at 3:17 PM

Check out http://www.rainbowresource.com/ , search for math manipulatives and they have a ton. I have always been happy with my purchases from them. I would recommend Unifix cubes or a jar of counting plastic animals/figures.  Also if you are on Pinterest you can find easy, lowcost or free ones to make at home if you have time or feel like being frugal!

Tasha911471
by New Member on Jun. 17, 2014 at 2:45 AM
We used an abacus as a visual aid for many math issues.
haskins46563
by Member on Jun. 17, 2014 at 7:34 AM
Cussinaire rods (I prefer the wooden ones)

Check out educationunboxed.com for oodles of ideas on how to use them to teach all kinds of math concepts.
hipmomto3
by Bronze Member on Jun. 18, 2014 at 6:29 PM

We've done Saxon for K-3 math for all our kids, and they use a lot of manipulatives. Some are part of the manips set you buy - bears, tangram pieces, foam shapes, linking cubes, etc - and some are suggested in the lessons (pennies or dimes, small toys you have at home). 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)