Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

I question constantly whether I have made the right decision... Am I being fair to my children? My daughter wants to go to public school but she still has in her head that kindergarten will be like preschool, which she only attended for 3 1/2 hrs per day, three days a week. I haven't been able to find any HS groups in my area and they aren't currently in any activities because my husband isn't working and we can't afford it. They don't have any peers to play with other than each other. I don't even know if I have chosen the right curriculum for them. My son is reading from where he was in K last year. Top of his class. My dd who will be 7 in January isn't reading, she says she doesn't want to learn. I didn't enroll her in K this year or she would be going to 1st now. I feel like she is behind for her age.  The biggest reason she says she wants to go to school is because her friends from pre-k are there.  I just feel like I'm doing it all wrong...

by on Jun. 12, 2014 at 4:24 PM
Replies (11-17):
AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Jun. 13, 2014 at 11:33 AM

Green is a good place to be - it means you get to work from the top up!

We spend about 2 (maybe a bit more) hours a day for kindergarten. My 7th grader will be working for 5-6 hours a day this fall. For kindergarten, we'll be doing the following:

PAL Reading - this will take about 30 minutes (lots of games, a reading sheet, a worksheet, etc)

Apples and Pears A (spelling/handwriting) - this will take about 15-20 minutes

CLE math and Miquon math (three days CLE, one-two days Miquon) - 30 minutes or so

We do literature based history, science, and religion.

Quoting AmPriSi: I didn't really consider that it was being mean. My children are very verbal when they are asked what they wish to do. If push came to shove, I would put them back in if I had to. She does know her letter sounds and recognizes some words. How much time do you spend a day actually teaching? I don't know anyone that HS and wonder what the time frame consists of. I have considered Abeka previously but that was before I found EP. I still feel very green in this whole area and I think that is where a lot of my insecurities come from...
Quoting AutymsMommy:

Quoting AmPriSi:

I understand your point of view.  We are trying to find a local church with a good youth program.  She will learn whether she wants to or not.  That's not an option, she just says she doesn't want to.  I know she is probably scared because it is new.  I haven't asked her if she wants to learn, I have asked if she would prefer public school.  Somes days it's yes with the question, "will my friends be there?" and some days it's no.  

Asking her if she would rather public school is a bit mean if you really aren't going to consider it.

It is not abnormal at all to have one in public/private and another homeschooled! We did it last year (DD went to a private school; both will be home this year).

Easy Peasy may not be the right fit. I know many enjoy it, but in most of the other homeschool circles I frequent, it is largely considered supplementary, not a comprehensive program. I understand, though, that your budget may be extremely tight. Have you checked HomeschoolClassifieds.com for some used programs? Some fun ones are PAL Reading (what we use), All About Reading, and Logic of English Foundations. You might be able to catch a good deal!

Does she know her letter sounds? If not, can you buy the Leapfrog dvds? Letter Factory and Word Factory specifically.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

lil_mama06
by Debbie on Jun. 13, 2014 at 11:59 AM

HUGS HUGS HUGS...My 11 year old is FINALLY interested in reading...Yes she's behind...It's been a long road but she's getting there...Now my 7 year old is just the opposite, she's like a little sponge...Many many MANY times I've questioned myself, felt like a failure..But I KNOW MY CHILD and what's best for them...Good luck on your journey and maybe write out the pros and cons to homeschooling/public school....  

AmPriSi
by on Jun. 13, 2014 at 1:46 PM
All great advice. I did find a library reading group that will start the end of July. Going to let them go to bible school in July as well. Our playgrounds are also considered parks where I live. Not many people there when we go. Actually there is usually no one there when we go to play.
sweetr0se
by Member on Jun. 14, 2014 at 2:07 PM

I feel that parenting is mostly gut instinct, research, and what is or isn't working with your child. 

In my PERSONAL opinion, I think all kids should try regular school first so they have learn to socialize and give it a few years for it work out. If they do at least average and making a fair amount of friends then that's the best option for them. There are really great school districts out there and great for kids with learning disabilities or can do it at a regular pace. Unless you're against brick and mortar schools all together or it's against your religious beliefs, I would do all you could do to keep them in a regular school.

I want to online school for my son because it hasn't worked out for him in a regular school even though he was getting A's but failing to make any connections with his teacher. My child tells me that it's hard for him to concentrate and would love to put in the hard work to get ahead of the other students and wants to do the after school actvities. 

There's no easy solution, you're always going to have to work hard as a parent to make sure your children are getting the best care from teachers.

linz04060913
by Member on Jun. 14, 2014 at 2:52 PM
1 mom liked this

According to your intuition, homeschooling is right for your family. Therefore, you have to get out there and make homeschooling work for you. I'm not saying this group isn't a great asset, but I am part of several global homeschool communities on facebook and several local communities. We have penpals and we have field trip groups. My dd doesn't recognize her letters yet, but that's ok. I think it would be good to continue to read to/with her, but don't push needing to read. That will come...

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Jun. 14, 2014 at 10:56 PM
1 mom liked this

Socialization can be had very easily without sitting in a classroom, raising your hand to potty, for 7 hours a day. Why would you want only "at least average" for your child? Don't you strive for more than "just average"? I know we do.

Quoting sweetr0se:

I feel that parenting is mostly gut instinct, research, and what is or isn't working with your child. 

In my PERSONAL opinion, I think all kids should try regular school first so they have learn to socialize and give it a few years for it work out. If they do at least average and making a fair amount of friends then that's the best option for them. There are really great school districts out there and great for kids with learning disabilities or can do it at a regular pace. Unless you're against brick and mortar schools all together or it's against your religious beliefs, I would do all you could do to keep them in a regular school.

I want to online school for my son because it hasn't worked out for him in a regular school even though he was getting A's but failing to make any connections with his teacher. My child tells me that it's hard for him to concentrate and would love to put in the hard work to get ahead of the other students and wants to do the after school actvities. 

There's no easy solution, you're always going to have to work hard as a parent to make sure your children are getting the best care from teachers.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

sweetr0se
by Member on Jun. 14, 2014 at 11:20 PM

I think if a parent puts too much on a child to get As when the child isn't an A student and has troubles learning and works at a slow pace and the school is catering to that then yes I would strive to have him make Cs and be happy with that. If I knew he was trying his best and the school was trying thier best also, I wouldn't pull my child out.

But I know my child well enough to know he's an A student but also getting F's and that's just unacceptable to me.I expect nothing more than my child to get As because i know he's got the ability to do it and the school is lazy and not making sure he's staying on him to get his work done and letting him fail on tests and assignments.

Quoting AutymsMommy:

Socialization can be had very easily without sitting in a classroom, raising your hand to potty, for 7 hours a day. Why would you want only "at least average" for your child? Don't you strive for more than "just average"? I know we do.

Quoting sweetr0se:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)