Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Test Scores?

Posted by on Jun. 13, 2014 at 1:19 AM
  • 11 Replies

(Standardized) Do you let your kids seem them or not?

by on Jun. 13, 2014 at 1:19 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Jun. 13, 2014 at 2:47 AM
Yes, I discuss them with my kids. I also discuss the fact that I do not believe they are all that accurate. It is a generic exam and while we look at the scores I don't freak out if they are low and don't go into "my kid is a genuis" mode if they do well.
jen2150
by Silver Member on Jun. 13, 2014 at 10:38 AM
I don't show them to them. When they ask I tell them they did a great job. If they ask to see them I would show them. Honestly they seldom ask me. They usually more pressing things to ask. As far as their test scores go it is not high on our list of great accomplishments. My oldest asks the most but mostly he is just curious. He is fascinated by any kind math stats.
Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Jun. 13, 2014 at 10:41 AM
I think part of the difference is my boys were in public school and testing was such a huge drama. Everything was about the test so the MUST get grades and want to know their scores.

DD who has never been in PS never asks about hers at all.
Codysmom2106
by Member on Jun. 13, 2014 at 10:59 AM

I was so excited that he did so well I talked with him about it and told him how proud of him I was. He's been working very hard these past few months. 

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Jun. 13, 2014 at 1:11 PM

Yes I do but I couch them in a big discussion about how the tests were written, scored, etc.  My oldest is very good at taking tests, so I often have to talk him down from thinking he's a genius.  My middle gets test fatigue quickly so often scores lower than his ability level on written tests and higher on computer-based tests.  So I have to talk him up about how well he did or how far he got before peetering out.

gabe05
by on Jun. 16, 2014 at 4:23 PM
I show my kids their scores because I am always thrilled with them! Test score arrival is followed by ci cis and movie night to celebrate.
Bleacher-mom
by Member on Jun. 17, 2014 at 12:41 AM
I show my DS his. He wants to play football at the school in a couple of years and he has to be in 30th percentile to do so, which so far he has scored higher than that. But I do explain that his score doesnt make him who he really is or show how much he has truly learned.
mhaney03
by Member on Jun. 17, 2014 at 12:42 AM

when they were in public school, yes.  we aren't required to take them now.

12yrmama
by on Jun. 17, 2014 at 1:35 PM

Yes. I am always clear how this is just ONE way of marking all the new things they have learned. One year my son did poorly in math. We had always taken it for granted that math came naturally to him. We did more active math lessons and he's been back at the top of the charts ever since. It was a great learning moment for him to know that extra work pays off.

bether89
by Bronze Member on Jun. 18, 2014 at 11:00 AM

We discussed his score with him, but he didn't look at the scores.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN