Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

School District Response = Confusing...(long)

Posted by on Jun. 13, 2014 at 6:52 PM
  • 5 Replies

So, DH and I pulled our daughters out of their public school last week (with three weeks remaining in the school year). We live in NY so I sent out our Letter of Intent and Individualized Home Instruction Plan (IHIP) to the school district.

The assistant super intendent responded approving our IHIP but continued on with something I didn't quite understand.

"This will document for our mutual records, the approval and endorsement of the Individualized Home Instructional Plans for your children in your pursuit of home instruction.

Having reviewed the curriculum and instructional materials from which you will be teaching, it would appear that your home educational plans are in compliance with State Education Department Regulations and Board of Education Policy. The copy of the Home Instruction Worksheet (what is that? she didn't include anything else in the envelope) which has been completed reflect the specifics and timeliness of your indicated reports to the district regarding your children's attendance and progress.

I note in your Home Instruction Worksheet that you intend to use a commercial test for the annual assessment for {child's name here} and {child's name here}. So long as your proposal meets the criteria as outlined in the Commissioner's Regulations regarding the annual assessment, it shall be approved. Please remember to provide me with a copy of the results of the test."

My main concerns about this are: I have no idea what Home Instruction Worksheet she is talking about && I didn't say ANYTHING about giving them a test. They are in kindergarten for goodness sake. Testing isn't required until 4th grade in NY.

Should I call her and explain I will NOT be giving a test and instead will be sending in a written narrative (which is perfectly acceptable) or just ignore this and go on with my plans?

Thanks so much for any advice!!

by on Jun. 13, 2014 at 6:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
hipmomto3
by Bronze Member on Jun. 13, 2014 at 8:10 PM
1 mom liked this
Sounds like a form letter. I would call & ask for that worksheet.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Bluerose1482
by Member on Jun. 13, 2014 at 8:12 PM
1 mom liked this

You can call her if you want, but I would definately follow up with another letter after the phone call and keep a copy for yourself.

NYCitymomx3
by Bronze Member on Jun. 13, 2014 at 8:54 PM
1 mom liked this

Hahahahaha.  

Ignore that.  Your IHIP is in compliance.  You're in.  No tests til 5th grade.  Don't worry.

Now at the end of June, send in a brief 4th quarterly (state that 99% of the school year was completed at so-and-so school) and a brief annual narrative stating some jumble of stuff they did in school for the last quarter.  Use my samples if you like.

Then also at the end of June send in new LOIs.  (New IHIPs can wait til the end of August).  

YAAAAAAYYYYYYYYY!   CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!

BellaRose17
by Member on Jun. 14, 2014 at 8:02 AM

you rockThanks yet again ^_^

Quoting NYCitymomx3:

Hahahahaha.  

Ignore that.  Your IHIP is in compliance.  You're in.  No tests til 5th grade.  Don't worry.

Now at the end of June, send in a brief 4th quarterly (state that 99% of the school year was completed at so-and-so school) and a brief annual narrative stating some jumble of stuff they did in school for the last quarter.  Use my samples if you like.

Then also at the end of June send in new LOIs.  (New IHIPs can wait til the end of August).  

YAAAAAAYYYYYYYYY!   CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!

BellaRose17
by Member on Jun. 14, 2014 at 8:04 AM

I think you are 100% correct about it being a form letter! I was all set to call and then after googling I realized that the worksheet she is talking about is something that the district does internally so I'm not going to worry about it :) Thank you so much! 

Quoting hipmomto3: Sounds like a form letter. I would call & ask for that worksheet.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN