Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Online Schooling

Posted by on Jun. 14, 2014 at 2:18 PM
  • 21 Replies

I have made a decision to enroll my son into online schooling. I know it's not going to be an easy road but he's very intelligent just hard for him to cope with other kids distracting him and his teacher putting pressure on him and not understanding that he's an ADHD child. My child is fully on board and so is my boyfriend (his father) and I am excited to spend extra time with him and be fully involved in his education so I can make sure he's living up to his full potential. 

I have to admit though that I am a little bit intimidated because I don't know anyone who homeschools or even online schools  thier children and it's going to be a huge adjustment because I'm used to having him gone during the day when I stay home and clean and have time alone. But I am aware that keeping a schedule is going to be key! I feel very strongly about onlne schooling for my son.

I am very anxious to set a schedule and have him part of some online clubs and going on some field trips.

Anyone else online schooling?

by on Jun. 14, 2014 at 2:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
linz04060913
by Member on Jun. 14, 2014 at 2:54 PM
1 mom liked this

Give yourself grace. Seriously, remember you are only one person. It takes a while to adjust, but you will get through. We chose online schooling for the first year at home and it was a good decision for the first year. We did K12

sweetr0se
by Member on Jun. 14, 2014 at 2:58 PM

How old is your child? I am happy to hear it went well and I heard good things about it from other kids.

Quoting linz04060913:

Give yourself grace. Seriously, remember you are only one person. It takes a while to adjust, but you will get through. We chose online schooling for the first year at home and it was a good decision for the first year. We did K12

coala
by Silver Member on Jun. 14, 2014 at 3:27 PM
1 mom liked this

Remember to be patient....and when you are losing it have dad stay home and you run a few errands SOLO.  The solo part is KEY to keeping your sanity.  I grocery shop alone once a week.  I need that 1-2 hours of ME time.  I don't care if I'm doing "chores", but buying myself a special coffee and taking my shopping slowly saves me and my family.

Good luck with your decision.  Just remember that you don't have to stick to any one thing in particular.  You are going to have to adjust and readjust on this journey.  I have tweaked our schedules so much over the last 3 years it is ridiculous, but we have finally found our groove.

linz04060913
by Member on Jun. 14, 2014 at 5:15 PM

I have 4. My oldest will be 10 in August and my second just turned 8. My 3rd, we are doing traditional homeschooling on an unschooling schedule and a little montessori haha. My 4rd is 5 and 4th is just 17 months

Quoting sweetr0se:

How old is your child? I am happy to hear it went well and I heard good things about it from other kids.

Quoting linz04060913:

Mommy to my 4 blessings and wife of 10 yearstwin girlstwin girlsin love

jen2150
by Silver Member on Jun. 14, 2014 at 10:32 PM
1 mom liked this
We don't use an online school but congrats on your journey and decision. Have you found any local groups? Yahoo,Facebook and the library can really help find local groups. Field trips are my favorite part of homeschooling. Where are you located?
sweetr0se
by Member on Jun. 14, 2014 at 10:56 PM
1 mom liked this

Yes I am really looking foward to connecting with other parents who are online and homeschooling thier children on field trips. I am located near Wichita, KS (Hutchinson). My area is a prime area for field trips and am very excited about it. i am not part of any groups yet.

Quoting jen2150: We don't use an online school but congrats on your journey and decision. Have you found any local groups? Yahoo,Facebook and the library can really help find local groups. Field trips are my favorite part of homeschooling. Where are you located?

tntmom1027
by Member on Jun. 15, 2014 at 9:04 PM

we also don't do online but I love homeschooling. My son is 6 and we took him out of public kinder during winter break and started homeschooling. We are going to be starting 2nd grade in the fall(homeschool). My husband works so I normally am always with our son but it's been great. Though he just left to visit grandma for a few weeks so it will be nice to have some alone time lol. 

I second the finding and connecting with local groups it makes everything much more enjoyable. 

LoriAlane8
by Member on Jun. 16, 2014 at 12:43 PM

Great job! And it sounds like you understand what is best for your son. It won't always be easy or fun but it will be very, very rewarding. Don't foget to have fun during the process and take time for yourself where you can. I have homeschooled and online schooled my children from the beginning. Oldest is a freshman in University with a 4.0 gpa and son will be a Senior next year and dual enrolling in Community College. Maybe I'll have time for myself this coming year :) I'd do it all again and sometimes feel sad that it's basically over. It went very, very fast even though some days seemed to  drag on for years :) Have a blast!!

ablackdolphin
by Bronze Member on Jun. 16, 2014 at 2:20 PM
1 mom liked this

Look to see if there is a yahoo group in your area for homeschoolers.  As at the library or museums, zoos etc to see if they offer homeschool days to meet others in your area.  If not, consider starting one.

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Jun. 16, 2014 at 4:09 PM

What kind of online school are you doing?  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN