Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

I have made a decision to enroll my son into online schooling. I know it's not going to be an easy road but he's very intelligent just hard for him to cope with other kids distracting him and his teacher putting pressure on him and not understanding that he's an ADHD child. My child is fully on board and so is my boyfriend (his father) and I am excited to spend extra time with him and be fully involved in his education so I can make sure he's living up to his full potential. 

I have to admit though that I am a little bit intimidated because I don't know anyone who homeschools or even online schools  thier children and it's going to be a huge adjustment because I'm used to having him gone during the day when I stay home and clean and have time alone. But I am aware that keeping a schedule is going to be key! I feel very strongly about onlne schooling for my son.

I am very anxious to set a schedule and have him part of some online clubs and going on some field trips.

Anyone else online schooling?

by on Jun. 14, 2014 at 2:18 PM
Replies (11-20):
STARRYVONN
by New Member on Jun. 16, 2014 at 4:19 PM
Yes we'll be going into our 4th year with online school. My kids were previously in a brick and mortar school. They've been doing excellent with online school (ages 11, 13 & 14). The first semester wiil be a challenge, but keep in mind to work at your own pace and implement other ways of understanding a course, since everyone learns differently, use the courses as a guide that's all its there for.Good luck.
sweetr0se
by Member on Jun. 25, 2014 at 2:34 AM

My child is also 11 in 6th grade, which online school will you be attending?

Quoting STARRYVONN: Yes we'll be going into our 4th year with online school. My kids were previously in a brick and mortar school. They've been doing excellent with online school (ages 11, 13 & 14). The first semester wiil be a challenge, but keep in mind to work at your own pace and implement other ways of understanding a course, since everyone learns differently, use the courses as a guide that's all its there for.Good luck.

sweetr0se
by Member on Jun. 25, 2014 at 2:35 AM

Kansas Connections Academy

Quoting bluerooffarm:

What kind of online school are you doing?  

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Jun. 25, 2014 at 8:45 AM

I don't have any experience with Connections Academy.  But Good luck!  :-)

Quoting sweetr0se:

Quoting bluerooffarm:

MamaLauri
by Member on Jun. 25, 2014 at 11:15 AM
1 mom liked this

http://www.4mylearn.org is a support site for visual learners, their parents, and teachers. Due to the educational system labeling visual thinkers as disabled, the prevalence of visual thinkers and optimal teaching strategies for integrated or right brain not well researched. This is http://www.4mylearn.org‘s area of research. Frequently visual learners get labels like Dyslexia, Dyscalculia, Attention Deficit Disorder, Attention Deficit Hyperactive Disorder, Asperger's, and Autism. There is at least 50% overlap in the symptoms, that these labels are now referred to as the Syndrome Mix. 

http://www.4mylearn.org/Bookshelf/FunGames.html  provides activities and games to address the learning needs of visual thinkers. Eventually, over the next 5 years, it will have an entire curriculum. Please enjoy.

To get a high level understand of your son's brain architecture see http://www.4mylearn.org/Neurodiversity.html

heydooney
by Member on Jun. 27, 2014 at 9:45 PM
I loved Connections when my son did it (K and 1st). Unfortunately it was just too much computer for him, he needs to be up and moving most of the time. It's a great school and the teachers he had were wonderful. The curriculum could use work in a couple areas, but the good thing is every page has an option to rate and leave feedback.

Quoting sweetr0se:

Quoting bluerooffarm:

redhead-bedhead
by Bronze Member on Jun. 30, 2014 at 1:39 AM
I've been told by several of the online schoolers that many of the schools set up groups for field trips and such.
Try asking the school to see if they offer that
PRmichelle
by New Member on Sep. 24, 2014 at 8:44 PM

Hi there. I homeschooled my boys till my oldest was in 10th grade, then I switched to online school at Insight School of Kansas. Now they are a part of K12. My oldest was a charter member in the schools National Honors Society program and was class president. Through his three years there they built a core group through online chats and outside coffee visits once a month. #2 son, ADHD/  started online in 9th grade. Aspergers was diagnosed at 17. I kept saying since he was little we were missing something. (yeah, dealing with some guilt). He graduated last year. Enrolled in first semester at community college, but it isn't going well. #3 is Class president, NHS, two classes at college, and got himself a pt job at Pizza Hut. #4 is in 8th grade.  ALL BOYS! Never a dull moment around here.  Kansas legislative tried to cut funding to the online schools this last spring. It would have closed all 93. We prevailed and the cut was minimal, but we are owned by K12 were a few years back we were not. Changes come every year. This year is no different.

Thanks for letting me introduce my kiddos....

Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Sep. 24, 2014 at 10:23 PM

We do not use an online program, but we do use a charter school. The difference is I get fullsay on the curriculm my kids use. I get a $1200 budget PER CHILD to spend on curriculum and extra curriculars each year.

With our charter, we walk a fine line. I am supposed to meet certain goals each semester, but I can use whatever method to do so, That means I DO report to them, but  I report what we do, not what they assign.

We had my nephew with us for a year nd he was signed up for k12. it was a nightmare so I would never do another online program. It was GREAT if your child were averge or above average but VERY stressful if you had a struggling child, like y nephew. They were always on our case and nagging about making goals and benchmarks despite the fact that he had an IEP in place from his previous school which they were required by law to adhere to.

sbilyeu75
by on Sep. 24, 2014 at 10:27 PM

We use K12 here.  Start looking for homeschool co-ops.  Don't get stressed out about doing every single lesson and pushing to get your hours.  Eventually, you'll learn how to use the system to teach to your son and the hours will come once you realize just how many things you do that are educational.  Make it your own.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN