Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

What were your reasons?

Posted by on Jun. 14, 2014 at 3:37 PM
  • 31 Replies

What are your reasons for homeschooling?

Do you feel it's a personal decision or are you against schooling all together?

by on Jun. 14, 2014 at 3:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
NinjaChickie
by New Member on Jun. 14, 2014 at 3:45 PM
2 moms liked this

I plan on homeschooling my daughter when she's born and old enough, because schooling is very very scary right now. There have been 74 school shooting SINCE THE SANDY HOOK SHOOTING. That's not including all the reports of teachers(even principals) engaged inappropriately or sexually with these young children. I think homeschooling would be safer in this day n' age.

BellaRose17
by Member on Jun. 14, 2014 at 4:15 PM
2 moms liked this

In a nut shell....I decided homeschooling was best for our family because:

1. Homeschooling provides the best possible educational experience in which both of my girls have their unique needs met and their passions nurtured in a loving, positive environment.

2. Homeschooling offers an escape from the peer pressure and stress that comes from mainstream school. They will be able to grow and mature without the negative influence of toxic children.

3. Homeschooling gives the girls a chance to embrace learning and get excited about school once again.

sweetr0se
by Member on Jun. 14, 2014 at 4:15 PM

I totally agree that when you send your child off there's no guarantee anymore that they are 110% safe and strangers are teaching your kids in a public school. You have no idea if they really have your child's best interest at heart.

Quoting NinjaChickie:

I plan on homeschooling my daughter when she's born and old enough, because schooling is very very scary right now. There have been 74 school shooting SINCE THE SANDY HOOK SHOOTING. That's not including all the reports of teachers(even principals) engaged inappropriately or sexually with these young children. I think homeschooling would be safer in this day n' age.

sweetr0se
by Member on Jun. 14, 2014 at 4:20 PM

I thought about that all the time when he was in a regular school. There are more hateful brats in school then there are nice ones who do the right thing. My child pursays very easily and tends ot follow the crowd just to fit in.

Quoting BellaRose17:

1. Homeschooling provides the best possible educational experience in which both of my girls have their unique needs met and their passions nurtured in a loving, positive environment.

2. Homeschooling offers an escape from the peer pressure and stress that comes from mainstream school. They will be able to grow and mature without the negative influence of toxic children.

3. Homeschooling gives the girls a chance to embrace learning and get excited about school once again.

NinjaChickie
by New Member on Jun. 14, 2014 at 6:34 PM

That was another very good point about why I plan on homeschooling. Bullying in school is out of control. I JUST got out of High School and know how it is even though I've never personally been bullied very much. My daughter will have to face problems considering she's mixed and sadly the world still discriminates against people that are different for whatever reason. Though I'll still teach her to value herself, love herself, stand up for herself, and not give in to peer pressure...I just rather her not go through what children in the school systems are going through when they should be focued on getting their education.

Quoting sweetr0se:

I thought about that all the time when he was in a regular school. There are more hateful brats in school then there are nice ones who do the right thing. My child pursays very easily and tends ot follow the crowd just to fit in.

Quoting BellaRose17:

idlehands
by New Member on Jun. 14, 2014 at 6:37 PM
1 mom liked this
My daughter has health problems, and she was missing school 2-3 days a week.
Codysmom2106
by Member on Jun. 14, 2014 at 6:47 PM

My son has a progressive physical disability as well as other things in addition he went through several months of physical attacks from other kids and nothing was done other than the kids getting a talking to. At home we can go at our own pace and have more control over his education. 

Chasing3
by Bronze Member on Jun. 14, 2014 at 8:52 PM

the reasons are too many to list and all intertwined! Essentially acadamic because he wasn'tt being taught anything and social because he was made to feel like an outcast snd stupid. First year of homeschooling down and he's a totally changed kid. He's smart, loves learning, gets a ton done by himself, has no depression or anxiety, doesn't show adhd signs, is generlaly nice and fun to be around.

A book I read that pushed me over the edge into deciding to homes school is Alfie Kohn's "Feel-Bad Education" Reaidng it made me want to cry. I was guilty of much of it when I taught public school myself. I only taught 2 years full-time, and a few years of substituting before that. But I didn't like what I'd beome. It was expected that I scream and yell at kids ot keep them in line. 

jen2150
by Silver Member on Jun. 14, 2014 at 10:23 PM
I have never been against schools but I don't feel they are currently set up the way many kids learn. I chose homeschooling for academic and social reasons. My kids have never set foot in school and they are better off because of it. Not because schools are bad but because they are not flexible enough. My kids have a lot of more advantages than I ever had in school. No teacher will know them or love them more than I. I can change their curriculum whenever I need to do it. My main reasons for homeschooling are create an environment where they never lose their love for learning and they are not stuck in the same room almost every day. Homeschooling is a great educational experience but it is not for every family.
AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Jun. 14, 2014 at 10:52 PM
1 mom liked this

We certainly aren't against formal education. We identify as traditionally scholastic. We aren't fans of public schools in general (although we "never say never"), and our Catholic schools have adopted common core, which makes them less than desirable for us... so we strive to give our children a solid, rigorous, Catholic-school-like education at home.

Reasons:

Faith integration.

We want to give our children the best education possible, and believe that can be had in our home.

We dislike common core (although our state recently got rid of it for the public schools).

Preference to encourage our own ideals and beliefs over those of the government.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)