Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

On Line Schools

Posted by on Jun. 18, 2014 at 10:15 AM
  • 6 Replies

Is anyone using an online school. I've been looking into Connections Academy and wondered if anyone has used them.

by on Jun. 18, 2014 at 10:15 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
Leissaintexas
by Bronze Member on Jun. 18, 2014 at 2:18 PM
1 mom liked this
I'm sure it varies by state, but I believe most of these online schools are just public school at home and adhere to common core standards. This completely defeats MY purpose for homeschooling. You may feel differently.
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Jun. 18, 2014 at 4:20 PM

I used K12 and hated it.  It was a good step from a brick and mortar Public school, but it chafed! LOL  It is basically public school at home, so other than there isn't much chance of bullying, all of the other public school problems follow right along.  

The programs and rules vary from state to state and even from school to school, so look around at the turn-over rate (kids that only stay a year), get some referrals, and get promises (like "your child can work at his own pace" and "you have the freedom to work any time") in writing and signed by someone important like the principal.

PinkLight
by New Member on Jun. 18, 2014 at 5:45 PM
1 mom liked this

Thanks for the info. My son is probably gifted and I want him to be able to work at his pace. He was so bored in regular school. I don't have the time to sit with him and come up with a circulum like homeschooling would require (at least how I envision it). So it was between an on-line school or a private school. The private schools around us are about $20,000 a year which is more than we can pay. The religious schools are cheaper and I considered them, but in the end, I don't want my son indoctrinated with someone else's beliefs. So this seemed like the best alternative. I will take your advice and get things in writing. Thanks.

kimscorner
by New Member on Jun. 19, 2014 at 9:09 AM

My oldest son (now 20 years old) tried Connections Academy in 11th grade, and they were horrible.  Hard to get a hold of anyone to help and he slipped so far behind he eventually quit.

I was going to give k12 a try for my special needs son but had difficulties with them over the enrollment process!  Imagine that...if they had that much trouble just getting him enrolled that was a red flag for me. 

So, what experience I've had with the "online schooling" option isn't good.  I believe there are really only 2 options...send them to school or home school.

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers

MessedUpMama
by Member on Jun. 19, 2014 at 5:53 PM

We are using Connections, we are in Oregon. I use it mainly to keep my DH happy, he wants to make sure the kids stay on track and don't take advantage of me. LOL I look through the assignments for the day, we go over the material and do the assessments at the end of each lesson. We use a blocked system, so that we do Math on Monday, Language arts on Tuesday, and so on. After we do the lessons, we usually skip most of the work book pages and the dozens of math problems, we then focus on the areas we noticed were a problem. I enter the amount of hours they are supposed to be in school in the attendance area, which is 5 hours each for both of my kids, even if we didn't work that many or worked more that that. We skip days and make it up later. My DH works in the evenings, so we have decided to put us all on an evening shift. We wake up at noon,start classes around 1PM, have lunch at 4PM, DS goes to bed at 2 AM. We don't do school when DH is home, so we often work on Saturday.

It's harder to work at your own pace if your child is having a problem with something. But kids that can work faster can get finished early. My kids finished this last semester 3 weeks before the last day of school. Each day I went in and entered attendance numbers. That's all. I know one High School aged girl who decided to finish up 9th grade early, she dd it in less than half the time, then she moved on to 10th grade, she had 1 week left of school when she took her last test. She had to talk to her teachers when she finished the first semester so that her second semester classes were opened, and then again when she wanted to do 10th grade early.

I like it well enough, but wish my DH would get on board with going the more traditional home-school route. I don't have to put together a curriculum, or come up with assignments. There are real teachers available for me to talk to, so far they have all been good at getting back to us when we have questions. We can and do supplement with extra stuff. We take time to study spiders or to read a book that seems interesting.

It's not for everone, but it might be a good starting point for you and your DS. Good luck.

collinsmommy0
by Member on Jun. 19, 2014 at 7:46 PM
You can buy curriculums, and different levels if he is above grade level, (versus online school which you just do that grades' work, I believe). There's also free curriculums available online.

Quoting PinkLight:

Thanks for the info. My son is probably gifted and I want him to be able to work at his pace. He was so bored in regular school. I don't have the time to sit with him and come up with a circulum like homeschooling would require (at least how I envision it). So it was between an on-line school or a private school. The private schools around us are about $20,000 a year which is more than we can pay. The religious schools are cheaper and I considered them, but in the end, I don't want my son indoctrinated with someone else's beliefs. So this seemed like the best alternative. I will take your advice and get things in writing. Thanks.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN