Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Anyone use Singapore Math?

Posted by on Jun. 19, 2014 at 9:07 AM
  • 2 Replies

I was wondering if anyone uses Singapore out there?  We are making a switch this year from Sonlight to My Father's World and I don't know if I should also switch to the math that they use with their program.  DS seems to be doing fine with the Horizons math that comes with Sonlight........I wonder if they are really that different in the 2nd grade, kwim?

TIA

by on Jun. 19, 2014 at 9:07 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
hipmomto3
by Bronze Member on Jun. 20, 2014 at 10:01 PM
1 mom liked this

I can't compare it to Horizons because I've never done that, but Singapore is pretty advanced, IMO. The only others we've done is Teaching Textbooks and Saxon. I feel like Teaching Textbooks is a little on the easy side - for example, an advanced 4th grader could easily do level 5 - while Saxon I feel is right AT grade level on average, and Singapore is about a year ahead (last year my then-4th grader found 3A very challenging). So if you make the switch, definitely do the placement tests and if they suggest a grade behind, believe them! My kids did not like Singapore, mostly because they found it boring and not interactive at all. It's just lecture and workbooks.

kelpiegirl
by on Jun. 23, 2014 at 12:52 AM
We've used Singapore math since K. It's ahead of most other programs. I'd take a placement test & expect to start a 1/2 level below grade level. But it's great for advanced kids. My young 7y is doing 4th grade now & totally gets it. There's little repetition so it's not for kids who need that but great for those who don't. The only more challenging program we've found is Beast Academy (we love BTW).
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)