Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

What to teach

Posted by on Jun. 19, 2014 at 5:27 PM
  • 5 Replies

Hi Everyone!

I have a three year old that we are going to homeschool. We have a while before we start anything formal obviously, but I have started my Research now. I was wondering what you all ladies use as a guide on what they should be learning. My biggest fear is not realizing that I am supposed to be teaching him something, resulting in him falling behind. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

by on Jun. 19, 2014 at 5:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Jun. 19, 2014 at 7:12 PM

We start formal at age 4, with pre-k. Our K-8 sequence looks like this (somewhat; leaving room to change things up if they aren't working for a particular child):

Pre-K: math, phonics, handwriting, religion, read alouds

Kindergarten: math, phonics/reading, handwriting, writing/basic grammar, spelling, religion, geography, science through literature, read alouds

1st: math, reading/literature, handwriting, composition/writing, spelling, grammar, religion, american history/US geography, science, read alouds,

2nd: same as first, but World History Ancients instead of American.

3rd: same but Middle Ages World History.

4th: same but Early Modern World History

5th: same but American History rotation again.

6th: drop spelling, first half of world history rotation (ancients and middle ages)

7th: same as 6th, but US geography and more in depth American history studies first semester; world geography only second semester

8th: same as above, but modern world history

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

collinsmommy0
by Member on Jun. 19, 2014 at 7:43 PM
It all depends what your child already knows and what you would like him to learn. My 3 year old knows:
Identifies upper/lower letters
Spells & recognizes his name
Knows sounds make up a word
Some book concepts - front/back, that words on the page are read, etc
Counts to 30, identify numbers up to 20
Counts objects to 12 or so
Knows shapes & colors

So this year we are doing phonemic awareness, sounds that letters make, more counting skills, more math concepts, fine motor skills, etc. I buy a monthly curriculum that's based on themes a few times a year & spread that out with other activities I do. It's themed based so ill do those themes for 2 weeks then whatever my son is interested in as his theme for the other 2 weeks (we've done dinosaurs, fire trucks, bears, animals, the ocean, etc - those are ones he requested)

We do calendar time every day (5-10 min) then 1 or 2 short activities (10 min total) then I incorporate what we are learning into real life.
AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Jun. 19, 2014 at 9:47 PM

Ditto the above poster on calendar time! If you're asking what we *do* on a daily basis, this fall we'll have a "circle time" where we'll do calendar and weather, our memory/character work, say the rosary and/or pray, and do a brief overview of what we'll be learning that day. I may also incorporate our read aloud during that time.

CLE carries this really adorable calendar book that we have - you get to color a related sheet every month, and then daily you color what the weather is, etc.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

mem82
by Platinum Member on Jun. 20, 2014 at 7:50 AM
I would look online at your state's content and standards to see what they expect each grade to know. I also suggest buying a scope and sequence book like What Your Kindergartener Needs To Know. That will at least give you an idea of where to start.
coala
by Silver Member on Jun. 20, 2014 at 9:04 AM

This particular age is really fun!!!  My DD learned all her letter sounds early so at 3 we were learning to read CVC words.  She was reading beofre 4....it was an amazing transistion.  We worked on basic math...counting, patterns, and some very very basic addition.  Kids at this age are such sponges and you wouldn't believe the amount of information that they can pick up and retain.  I worked my DD when she decided that she wanted to do something.  If she wanted to write for only 5 minutes we would do that.  If she wanted to play flashcards I would stop what I was doing and sit and work on them with her.  Somedays she would sit for HOURS working on stuff and other days we were only doing 5 mins on things.  I just rolled with it.  There were times she only wanted numbers for days at a time.  Other weeks she wanted only letters and books.  I was patient and rolled with it.  She started a formal K curriculum at the age of 4 1/2.  She is now over halfway through 1st grade and will be 6 in 10 days.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN