Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

What will be your Curriculum this year trimester by trimester?

Posted by on Jun. 20, 2014 at 2:19 PM
  • 12 Replies

hey home schooling mommies! How are all of you? Having a great relaxing summer? I hope so! simple smile

I was curious what is your curriculum trimester by trimester  this year? Have you planned at least the first trimester at least? Im thinking about seriously just planning at the beginning of each trimester instead of stressing about the WHOLE year at one time. How do you plan? 
 Im so new to all this,my son is doing a second year of preK with Kindergarten lessons this year he is only 4. Last year we did mostly artsy counting and anything arts and crafts that would teach him counting,ABCs and ya know the basics. Along with a one sentence story report,one sentence being about 4-5 words. 
   butterflyspiderscissorumbrellalightbulb

by on Jun. 20, 2014 at 2:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Jun. 20, 2014 at 2:56 PM

I do not plan by trimester. Many of our cores are the same year-long, but I do switch out/add on during the second semester.

For DS5 (kindergarten):

Semester 1

Math: CLE 1, Miquon Orange

Phonics: Finish up PAL Reading, add in Little Angel Readers and then Bigger Stories for Little Folks

Handwriting: Seton Handwriting K, Apples and Pears A

Spelling: Apples and Pears A

Social Studies, Science, and Religion: Literature based

Semester 2

Same math as above.

Reading same as above

Spelling same as above

... add in PAL Writing

... add in geography using Legends and Leagues from VP and Evan Moore's Beginning Geography

For DD12

Semester 1

Maths: Jousting Armadillos, AOPS Intro to Algebra, Patty Paper Geometry

Spelling: Apples and Pears B

Writing: CAP Writing and Rhetoric Narrative I

History/Geography: Memoria Press States and Capitals, Seton American History 8, KQ Presidential Scrapbook

Science: BioChem unit

Religion: Faith and Life 7, Ablaze Stories of Daring Teen Saints, other saint stories

Literature: mom created

Semester 2

Maths: same

Spelling: Apples and Pears C

Writing: CAP Narrative II

Geography/Other: KQ Studying the Constitution, Whatever Happened to Penny Candy series

Science: Astronomy unit and continue BioChem

Religion: the same

Literature: mom created

Both kids take piano lessons once per week and are required to practice at home for at least 15 minutes daily.

DD12 will participate in either soccer this fall, or dance (she attends a 4 week dance intensive this summer, so we'll see what she wants to do this fall).

DS5 will likely have a combo (ballet/jazz/tap) class once a week as well.

Co-op every other friday.

ETA: Regarding actual plans. I write lesson plans by subject. Each child will have a binder; behind each tab will be a subject. Each day's work is only separated by a space and when something is completed, it will be highlighted - that will allow us to move at their pace; if they do not finish something, there's never a day where we need to play catch up to finish everything in one day - instead they will pick up each subject on the "day"/"plan" they left off at. So far I've completed the daily plans for the first quarter for my 5 year old son, and a few subjects for my 12 year old.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

No_Difference
by Silver Member on Jun. 20, 2014 at 3:02 PM

I think all of our curriculum is year round so I plan for the whole year right away.

Science: Elemental Science Biology both grammar and logic stages

Math: Math U See Epsilon and Beta

Geography:  Expedition Earth mixed with TimeMaps (I think thats the website...) 

History: See Time Fly

Handwriting: Handwriting Without Tears, 5th grade cursive and print and 1st grade

Writing/LA: (theres a lot we're mixing up with during the year) Creative Writer, Grammar and Writing 5, Write! book E, and Just Write; and for the little guy Write Shop Primary A

Spelling: All About Spelling 5 & 2

Reading: All About Reading 2 and nothing for the older one - she's just going to the library to get books. Just getting her to read is good enough right now...  

hwblyf
by Silver Member on Jun. 20, 2014 at 3:02 PM

I went through Rebecca Rupp's Home Learning Year by Year and wrote out all the requirements for all my kids so that I could see the overlaps and such.  So I know what's on the schedule, I've got the materials, I just don't have specific lesson plans.  Know your goals.  And when you make your goals, get new ones.  :)

hipmomto3
by Bronze Member on Jun. 20, 2014 at 9:57 PM

I don't do by trimester either. That makes me think about being pregnant! :)

We use Sonlight - Core C for my 2nd and 3rd graders, Core F for my 6th grader, so that covers language arts, history, literature, geography... Then Saxon math for the 2nd grader, Teaching Textbooks 3 and 6 for the other two, Handwriting Without Tears for everyone, co-op classes for 12 weeks in the fall and 12 weeks in the spring, art class taught by DH (he  handles PE for the most part, too). That's our plan! I just need to schedule the math and handwriting lessons because they are separate from Sonlight, but all the SL stuff is scheduled out week by week. I just need to figure out when we're starting!

Leissaintexas
by Bronze Member on Jun. 20, 2014 at 11:25 PM
I don't lesson plan at all. I tried several times, but I realized it didn't help me at all. We just do what comes next in the book. Mine are older and textbooks just seem yo work better for them these days. We'll be sticking with BJU for science and math, Notgrass for history and trying BJU for lang arts for the first time.
collinsmommy0
by Member on Jun. 20, 2014 at 11:37 PM
Not really, with my 3 year old ill likely do a letter & sounds each week, do a number each week, and base everything else around themes and art projects.

I have decided I'll buy 3 months or so of adventures in learning preschool curriculum - then I'll spread that over the year (they will come every 3 months or so in the mail).
NYCitymomx3
by Bronze Member on Jun. 21, 2014 at 8:11 AM

We're trying Ambleside Online Pre-Year 7 (which actually is broken into trimesters) along with Teaching Textbooks Algebra 1, Apologia or Holt Physical Science, and Getting Started with Spanish. 

juliaks
by on Jun. 21, 2014 at 8:17 AM

My son is 5 and a half. We just finished our first h.s year.  Our motto is always move forward from the point he is at so we take curriculm planning week by week.  We don't stick to one particular program, but use so many! You should check out some of the options! They're endless!  http://juliaandzennan.blogspot.com/2013/08/free-learning-websites-for-kids.html

ablackdolphin
by Bronze Member on Jun. 21, 2014 at 2:14 PM

We will continue with:

Handwriting Without Tears My printing book (about half done) and then move to the next

Explode the Code Level B

Apologia Science - continue with anatomy & flying creatures

Continue Magic School Bus Science kits

All About Spelling

RightStart Math

I need to add more in the areas of Social Studies and History.

Our Expo is next month so I'll be looking while there.

rsrangel
by Bronze Member on Jun. 21, 2014 at 8:01 PM

I don't lesson plan in advance (besides "pinning" fun activites on Pinterest that could be used with future lessons).  We take it day by day, focusing on what's next in their books.  Sometimes we'll add something spur of the moment if we're feeling up to it that day.  I tried lesson planning the whole year and when that didn't work I tried 3 months, then when that didn't work I tried a month, then a week.... lol.  It just never worked out for us.  We all like it much better this way.  As for curriculum, we use a bit of everything:

Grammar and Writing: Growing with Grammar & Winning with Writing

Reading:  books, books, books, and more books about anything that interests him.  (For the younger one who is still learning we use Ordinary Parents Guide to Teaching Reading.)

Penmanship:  A Reason for Writing

Spelling:  A Reason for Spelling

Math: Horizons

Typing: a free online one (I forget what it's called)

Science: Apologia

History: Story of the World

Geography: Little Passports

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN