Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

How much language

Posted by on Jun. 21, 2014 at 2:16 PM
  • 7 Replies
Ok so my daughter is still learning to read with ease. She struggles a lot and she cannot read fluently yet. My plans for next year are to practice reading, read to her, and start first language lessons. I thought I might alternate days where I did FLL and handwriting without tears. Then I started thinking about spelling! Ahhhh I didn't even add that in! So should I add spelling too like spelling u see or should I wait to add spelling until she's a more confident reader? What are your opinions?
by on Jun. 21, 2014 at 2:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Jun. 21, 2014 at 2:40 PM

Spelling might help her reading ;)

I'm not familiar with Spelling U See, so I can't comment there. We will use Apples and Pears Book A with my kindergartner this year, which only takes about 15 minutes daily, tops. Handwriting must be every day, imo, because it's that important, but should really only take about 10 minutes.

Spelling: 15 minutes

Handwriting: 10 minutes

Reading Practice: 10 minutes

Read Aloud: 20 minutes

FLL: 10 minutes (if you're using FLL1)

That isn't a super long time for an ELA block. I think you can make it work. Just add in a 5 minute break in the middle.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

Mweddle
by Member on Jun. 21, 2014 at 3:14 PM

This is a big help, Thanks! 

Quoting AutymsMommy:

Spelling might help her reading ;)

I'm not familiar with Spelling U See, so I can't comment there. We will use Apples and Pears Book A with my kindergartner this year, which only takes about 15 minutes daily, tops. Handwriting must be every day, imo, because it's that important, but should really only take about 10 minutes.

Spelling: 15 minutes

Handwriting: 10 minutes

Reading Practice: 10 minutes

Read Aloud: 20 minutes

FLL: 10 minutes (if you're using FLL1)

That isn't a super long time for an ELA block. I think you can make it work. Just add in a 5 minute break in the middle.

rsrangel
by Bronze Member on Jun. 21, 2014 at 8:21 PM
1 mom liked this

When I added spelling for my son, his reading seemed to get so much better.  His writing improved too because spelling gave him confidence to write, and he'd get all excited to write little stories with his spelling words.  My oldest son's reading improved with spelling too, though he could care less about writing hahaha.  Every kid is different.  We do spelling, handwriting, and reading daily.  We alternate our Growing with Grammar and Winning with Writing curriculums.  We also incorperate journal writing and vocab. 

jen2150
by Silver Member on Jun. 21, 2014 at 8:31 PM
1 mom liked this
I would still do spelling but focus more on reading. Reading just takes longer for some kids. I would focus reading and spelling more on her learning styles. There are many ways to make spelling more hands if that is what works better. Maybe try using spelling words she is having a difficult time reading. Spelling and reading games work very well for my sons.
jen2150
by Silver Member on Jun. 21, 2014 at 8:33 PM
I would still do spelling but focus more on reading. Reading just takes longer for some kids. I would focus reading and spelling more on her learning styles. There are many ways to make spelling more hands if that is what works better. Maybe try using spelling words she is having a difficult time reading. Spelling and reading games work very well for my sons.
sarah_beth
by Member on Jun. 21, 2014 at 10:00 PM

Just integrate your spelling with your handwriting. 

coala
by Silver Member on Jun. 22, 2014 at 10:17 AM

The spelling with help her reading.  If you focus on phonetic sounds for her spelling it will help tremendously.  Good luck.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN