Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

High School Science- What would you do?

Posted by   + Show Post

Missie is ready for high school Science. Would you start her on Chemistry, Biology, Earth Science, or Physics? In PS you get one semester of each for a total of 2 Science credits. I think now they want you to take one more credit now, but maybe not. Where would you start? Curriculum suggestions...anything? LOL

by on Jun. 23, 2014 at 2:48 PM
Replies (11-12):
DyslexiaParent
by Member on Jun. 24, 2014 at 11:24 PM

We did Biology first for both of our boys.  Marine Biology second for one and Chemistry second for the other.  Generally, people don't start with Physics because it is heavily math-based, so I think having Algebra done is helpful in solving for the unknown quantities. 

Just generally speaking, but various state rules may vary, Biology, Chemistry, and Physics are the standard science courses.  Some states require four sciences and the fourth is usually a science of the student's choice as long as it is an advanced science.  One of my sons chose the Marine Biology and the other chose Human Anatomy (dual enrollment).  

For our sciences we used Apologia for biology, Bob Jones and ??? for chemistry, and Apologia and Derek Owens for Physics.  Different programs for different boys due to differences in learning preferences.

That's what we did in case it is of any help to you!

Bluerose1482
by Member on Jun. 25, 2014 at 5:07 PM

Has she taken physical science yet?  If not, I highly recommend doing that one first.  I'd do physical science, biology, chemistry, physics.  Unless Earth Science is required or she really likes it, I wouldn't even both with it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)