Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Talk to me about sensory processing disorder

Posted by   + Show Post
LO (4 years old) has his well child checkup Wednesday and his speech therapist has strongly urged me to request an OT evaluation for SPD. I see sensory stuff, definitely has had some oral seeking and aversion going on, he's very aware of smells and noises, and he's a crasher and basher. As long as he plays hard he does okay with that. He's come a long way. I do give him lots of sensory play and I push him out of his comfort zone.

So what are the benefits of getting an eval and having OT? I hesitate to add yet another DX. He's homeschooled so he won't need to conform to a classroom.
by on Jun. 23, 2014 at 3:29 PM
Replies (11-16):
Bluecalm
by Bronze Member on Jun. 24, 2014 at 2:22 PM
I didn't even realize there is medication for SPD. I don't know how helpful to therapy would be. He had feeding therapy with the speech therapist that consisted of her lecturing me on how to feed him. I ended up finding lots of good ideas on Pinterest and got him eating myself.

Quoting sweetserenit292:

My son also has a sensory processing disorder.   My speech therapist recommended a counsler to help....the first counselor was highly recommended but had no openings....and  the  other counsler wanted to have him tested to see specifically  the areas in which he needs help.  We decided against this.....Mainly because the government is too dang nosey.  Right now he only has speech listed on any documents  and that is ok with us for now.   There are some counselors who don't require testing but we haven't pursued it further.   I ran into another friend who did go through the testing and all they did was had her a packet of information on what her son has but no contacts to outside resources.  She felt completely on her own.   I know it really depends on where you live too.

When I spoke to the counselor and testing personell  .....they both inquired about medications and if I was open to discussing medicating....  Don't get me wrong there are days where I wish either he or I were medicated because some days are very frustrating.... lol    But, he isn't soo severe that he can't function without medication.  So, we will wait for an opening.  A good counselor would only look at medicating as last resort.    

Molimomma
by Bronze Member on Jun. 24, 2014 at 3:07 PM

The mini trampoline for the house was my best investment so far. The tent he never uses so that was a waste. He also loves his scooter board and I've been able to integrate that into a lot of learning activities too which is great. We also did boatloads of sensory bins but he has kind of grown out of those now.

Quoting Bluecalm: Yes, I really like the Out of Sync Child. I found a lot of good ideas in the Out of Sync Child Has Fun. I've thought about getting a mini trampoline.
Quoting Molimomma:

My son is 4.5 with some sensory issues I'm pretty sure he has mild SPD but like you I didn't get the diagnosis. We do lots of therapeutic OT activities at home. I know he's not severe enough to qualify for therapy but I wanted to help him. Best thing I did was buy him a mini trampoline for the house, he uses it daily. Since OT is the only real "treatment" or therapy it is not hard to do at home as long as you know what makes a good sensory diet for your child. The only other thing that may be helpful would be food therapy if you are having issues with eating/textures of food. I'm assuming you've read The Out of Sync Child, it's probably the most helpful for SPD

Molimomma
by Bronze Member on Jun. 24, 2014 at 3:14 PM

There aren't meds for SPD just to treat some of the symptoms like anxiety. OR if they have ADHD along with then they medicate that. Some folks use Meletonin too if sleep is an issue. But there are no drugs specific for SPD.

Quoting Bluecalm: I didn't even realize there is medication for SPD. I don't know how helpful to therapy would be. He had feeding therapy with the speech therapist that consisted of her lecturing me on how to feed him. I ended up finding lots of good ideas on Pinterest and got him eating myself.
Quoting sweetserenit292:

My son also has a sensory processing disorder.   My speech therapist recommended a counsler to help....the first counselor was highly recommended but had no openings....and  the  other counsler wanted to have him tested to see specifically  the areas in which he needs help.  We decided against this.....Mainly because the government is too dang nosey.  Right now he only has speech listed on any documents  and that is ok with us for now.   There are some counselors who don't require testing but we haven't pursued it further.   I ran into another friend who did go through the testing and all they did was had her a packet of information on what her son has but no contacts to outside resources.  She felt completely on her own.   I know it really depends on where you live too.

When I spoke to the counselor and testing personell  .....they both inquired about medications and if I was open to discussing medicating....  Don't get me wrong there are days where I wish either he or I were medicated because some days are very frustrating.... lol    But, he isn't soo severe that he can't function without medication.  So, we will wait for an opening.  A good counselor would only look at medicating as last resort.    

Bluecalm
by Bronze Member on Jun. 24, 2014 at 3:22 PM

Quoting Molimomma:

The mini trampoline for the house was my best investment so far. The tent he never uses so that was a waste. He also loves his scooter board and I've been able to integrate that into a lot of learning activities too which is great. We also did boatloads of sensory bins but he has kind of grown out of those now.

Quoting Bluecalm: Yes, I really like the Out of Sync Child. I found a lot of good ideas in the Out of Sync Child Has Fun. I've thought about getting a mini trampoline.
Quoting Molimomma:

My son is 4.5 with some sensory issues I'm pretty sure he has mild SPD but like you I didn't get the diagnosis. We do lots of therapeutic OT activities at home. I know he's not severe enough to qualify for therapy but I wanted to help him. Best thing I did was buy him a mini trampoline for the house, he uses it daily. Since OT is the only real "treatment" or therapy it is not hard to do at home as long as you know what makes a good sensory diet for your child. The only other thing that may be helpful would be food therapy if you are having issues with eating/textures of food. I'm assuming you've read The Out of Sync Child, it's probably the most helpful for SPD

Same here, my son lost interest in the sensory bins I had made him. A scooter sounds fun too. I also thought about a Sit and Spin. I had a tent before but he preferred to take it apart rather than sit in it. The tent came with a tunnel and he loved that.

Bluecalm
by Bronze Member on Jun. 24, 2014 at 3:24 PM

Oh, okay. No wonder I never heard about meds for SPD. :)

Quoting Molimomma:

There aren't meds for SPD just to treat some of the symptoms like anxiety. OR if they have ADHD along with then they medicate that. Some folks use Meletonin too if sleep is an issue. But there are no drugs specific for SPD.

Quoting Bluecalm: I didn't even realize there is medication for SPD. I don't know how helpful to therapy would be. He had feeding therapy with the speech therapist that consisted of her lecturing me on how to feed him. I ended up finding lots of good ideas on Pinterest and got him eating myself.
Quoting sweetserenit292:

Bluecalm
by Bronze Member on Jun. 25, 2014 at 3:16 PM
Well, I told his pedi my specific concerns without mentioning SPD and she referred him for an OT evaluation. I'm still on the fence with this. On his list of DX from this visit she added "developmental delay" which surprised me because he's on target or above for all his milestones. Maybe it was to justify the referral?
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN