Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Ok, lots of questions. Please help me out here

Posted by on Jun. 24, 2014 at 12:17 AM
  • 15 Replies

So I am 90% sure that I am going to homeschool next year.  My dd will be in 4th grade.  I also have a younger dd who is 3.5.  I will be doing fun preschool stuff with her.  We will be working on letters and numbers but mostly we are going to have fun.  Lots of playdoh and coloring and messes.  But this is really about my 8 year old.  I thought I could do this but now I am so confused here.  For curriculum, I am doing math, grammar, geography, history and science... Is this enough?  Am i missing something?

Also, I am on my way to nursing school.  I am finishing up my last 2 classes, then I can apply.  It is going to be a lot of work once I get in.  I will have 15 hours of clinical and 6 hours of lecture a week plus studying.  I don't work though.  Do you think it is possible to do a good job with school and homeschooling?  Am I going to be in trouble here?

And I wanted to try my youngest on mathusee once she turns 4.  They have a primer.  But is 4 too young?  Has anyone tried the primer?

Any advice would be great as I am now realizing that I am in waaaaaaay over my head here.  I am sure I will have loads more questions to come, haha.

by on Jun. 24, 2014 at 12:17 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AJ_Parks
by New Member on Jun. 24, 2014 at 12:27 AM
For me homeschooling is a full time just. But that's not to say you can't go to school and homeschool. Who will be watching them while your at school? Can thy do some of the teaching also?

About MUS. My dd started when she was 4 1/2. She is now 5 and we are about 1/2 way through the book. It's slow going at this age with math workbooks. We take it slow and do a lot of counting outside of MUS. If he is interested I say go ahead but don't be surprised if it goes good for a bit and then you have to put it away for awhile.
rsrangel
by Bronze Member on Jun. 24, 2014 at 7:14 AM
1 mom liked this
I have 4 kids. 2 are homeschooled. I homeschooled throughout college, including full time clinicals. I now work part time and still homeschool the 2 (9 and 7 years old). It's a lot of work but definitely possible! They do a full curriculum but I don't stress if we have to miss a day or can't do it all that day. Mine are right where they should be academically. I've been in your shoes and remember feeling the same as you at one time, so if you have any questions feel free to message me.
lexasmommy411
by on Jun. 24, 2014 at 8:02 AM

I would think that homeschooling would fit right into your schedule, since you'll be going to college, you can plan their lessons around times that work for everyone, you won't have to worry about picking up or dropping them off and getting to classes on time. If your oldest child is at a place she can work independently, you can set her up completing classwork so you can work with your youngest child, or work on your own assignments. Plus, seeing you work hard towards your education you will be a role model for your kids!! If you're in class, you can give the sitter some work to do with your children. An added bonus, your youngest may just pick up some of the things your older child is learning just by listening to you teach. Kudos to you, home schooling is a big task, we plan to in our home. 

coala
by Silver Member on Jun. 24, 2014 at 8:32 AM

I didn't see spelling on your list or reading.....I'm not sure if you lumped them in with grammar.  Writting is another one.  Good luck on your journey!!

goldilocksbecky
by on Jun. 24, 2014 at 8:35 AM

This.  That was my very first thought.  Reading, writing, spelling.

Quoting coala:

I didn't see spelling on your list or reading.....I'm not sure if you lumped them in with grammar.  Writting is another one.  Good luck on your journey!!

TJandKarasMom
by Debbie on Jun. 24, 2014 at 8:36 AM

I stopped pursuing my own education when I started homeschooling...but I couldn't stop working.  So I work 17-20 hours per week and am gone closer to 30 hours a week bc of travel time.  I just started hsing this year, with 5th and 6th graders (we just finished their first year at home).  It wasn't easy, but it was doable.

My advice is just to try to be organized and have the week planned in advance (I suck at this...but when I am ahead and have the week planned, it goes so much better!)  Another thing is to go ahead and purchase curriculum that outlines what should be done (like MUS for math, my DD loved it, she really liked knowing what was coming next...and I didn't really have to do any planning for that).  I planned our own history and that was the hardest for me, trying to figure out what to do next and make sure they learned enough.  I realized I need something that kind of tells me what to do next, then it is just one less thing to plan and worry about.

You can do it.  You can also start having your older one begin to be more independent, so you teach her and then she has something independent to show what she learned, and you can work on school work at the same time, or she can do it while you're gone.  Just don't stress about it all, no matter what she is going to be learning.

drinkme8184
by Member on Jun. 24, 2014 at 10:30 AM

I was looking at an English curriculum by saxon instead of just a grammar one.  And I was on the fence about spelling, but I think I may add that in too.  I wasn't sure if I should make my own spelling lists or buy something.  When you say writing, do you mean handwriting? 

Quoting coala:

drinkme8184
by Member on Jun. 24, 2014 at 10:31 AM

Oh, as far as reading goes, we have a library card and we plan on taking out as many books as we can manage haha.  Is there something else I should be doing as far as reading goes?

Quoting goldilocksbecky:

This.  That was my very first thought.  Reading, writing, spelling.

Quoting coala:

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Jun. 24, 2014 at 10:37 AM

Since this is your first year, I would actually pare down a bit. I would do language arts (spelling, grammar, writing - no need for more phonics if she reads well, just get a phonics based spelling program) and math; I would make history and science literature based.

Once you get in the swing of things, say year two of your homeschool journey, THEN add in formal history and science.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Jun. 24, 2014 at 10:37 AM

Writing... composition; sentences, paragraphs, essays, etc.

Quoting drinkme8184:

I was looking at an English curriculum by saxon instead of just a grammar one.  And I was on the fence about spelling, but I think I may add that in too.  I wasn't sure if I should make my own spelling lists or buy something.  When you say writing, do you mean handwriting? 

Quoting coala:

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)