Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

language arts notebook/organization

Posted by on Jun. 25, 2014 at 11:04 AM
  • 5 Replies

As we get more in depth with our 3rd grade grammar curriculum, I'm noticing my son having a harder time keeping all the rules straight, so I was thinking a language arts notebook might help.  Does anyone do this?  If so, how do you have it organized and what do you put in it?  Maybe I could include sections for reading, writing, spelling/vocab too.  Any ideas to make things more organized for him would be greatly appreciated! 

by on Jun. 25, 2014 at 11:04 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Jun. 25, 2014 at 11:51 AM

Our Language Arts binder has tabs for spelling/vocab, writing, grammar, and reading/literary terminology.  All of his work is on white paper.  Rules are on orange, tests on green, new spelling lists/vocabulary/literary terms are all on hot pink.  Any final writing project is printed on yellow.  It makes it easier to find exactly what he's looking for and helps me find things to go in his portfolio later.

No_Difference
by Silver Member on Jun. 25, 2014 at 12:59 PM

With WriteShop, they have what they call "Fold N Go" which is essentially file folders that have different colored papers in it with different rules and editing activities. For instance, one folder will be all about Nouns, and then all the different types of nouns, examples of nouns, and then editing pages on nouns... etc. 
As she gets them, we continue to attach them all together to make a file folder booklet. All the pages inside the folders are glued/ stapled in. Kind of like a lap book. I'll see if I can get pictures later.... it probably won't be until sometime tonight though :/  

jen2150
by Silver Member on Jun. 26, 2014 at 6:17 PM
We use write shop as well and love the hold and go system. Something like that may help. Maybe an index card system may help. You could use different colored index cards to keep things straight.
coala
by Silver Member on Jun. 30, 2014 at 8:30 AM

I'm really interested in this....we haven't hit a point where we need something like this, but I am pondering the ideas of the other moms.

mem82
by Platinum Member on Jun. 30, 2014 at 12:32 PM
Bump interesting
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)