Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

ipad

Posted by on Jun. 25, 2014 at 11:48 AM
  • 9 Replies
Anyone here have kids obsessed with the ipad? My sister got the kids one for Christmas. I didnt want them to have one, but allowed it and inly let them play on saturday or maybe during long car rides. Anyways, my 7 and 6 yr old went to vegas with my mom to visit their cousins. They played the ipad most of the time there (5 days!). Now all my year old talks a out is minecraft. Grrrr :( he keeps asking to play it. I wish we never got that thing. I dont think its good to play with electronics all day long! Kids need to be outside imo
by on Jun. 25, 2014 at 11:48 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Jun. 25, 2014 at 11:56 AM

My boys were obsessed after their trip out west with my parents.  They only played while they were in the car, but that was hours at a time.

We set the clear rules again:  Only when it is raining after school work (although they are on summer break right now), after all chores are done and they must "pay for" the time with their tech bucks (a "dollar" per half hour).  I also keep reminding them that they will want those bucks in February when it is snowy outside and below zero like they did this year.

Good luck, momma!  It's a tough addiction to break.

katyq
by Member on Jun. 25, 2014 at 12:26 PM

Tablet addiction has become a growing concern for pediatricians. If my son gets whiny about not being able to use it, he is banned for a couple of weeks. I don't want to set him up for an addiction at so young an age -_- it can be difficult to find a balance in this world of technology.

Precious333
by Julia on Jun. 25, 2014 at 12:33 PM
1 mom liked this

We have done that before. I am considering it again.

Quoting katyq:

Tablet addiction has become a growing concern for pediatricians. If my son gets whiny about not being able to use it, he is banned for a couple of weeks. I don't want to set him up for an addiction at so young an age -_- it can be difficult to find a balance in this world of technology.

hwblyf
by Silver Member on Jun. 25, 2014 at 12:58 PM

Yeah, we have that problem.  I keep mostly educational stuff on there, so they can use it for about 10 minutes during the school day.

collinsmommy0
by Member on Jun. 26, 2014 at 12:26 AM
I let my 3 year old use the iPad for about 20 minutes after he's ready for bed (I get the baby ready, clean up, etc). It's the only time he gets it (on the weekend DH pets him do it for 30 min or so), but I feel like that's too much.....I'm on my own with kids all day though & it's the only thing that's made bedtime easier :/.

My son looks forward to it all day. I say no to TV except for when he earns a show (maybe once a week?) and DH lets him watch TV on the weekends, about an hour - all he does on Saturday is ask for TV, repeatedly.....it's annoying, id rather just not let him have any (versus with me, he doesn't even ask to watch TV)
Precious333
by Julia on Jun. 26, 2014 at 1:20 AM
I have been relying on netflix to give us down time :p they had a lot of that today. I suppose its not any better.

Quoting collinsmommy0: I let my 3 year old use the iPad for about 20 minutes after he's ready for bed (I get the baby ready, clean up, etc). It's the only time he gets it (on the weekend DH pets him do it for 30 min or so), but I feel like that's too much.....I'm on my own with kids all day though & it's the only thing that's made bedtime easier :/.

My son looks forward to it all day. I say no to TV except for when he earns a show (maybe once a week?) and DH lets him watch TV on the weekends, about an hour - all he does on Saturday is ask for TV, repeatedly.....it's annoying, id rather just not let him have any (versus with me, he doesn't even ask to watch TV)
energygirl
by Member on Jun. 26, 2014 at 9:26 AM
1 mom liked this

I am glad someone else has the same concerns!  My daughter (8) wants one....(she saw a friend at church with one) but I am worried she would spend too much time on it (not to mention her 4 and 6 yr old siblings wanting one then as well).  I got a kindle (plain...just for reading) and am going to start loading some library books on it for her to read...so she will feel like she has a gadget....

Molimomma
by Bronze Member on Jun. 26, 2014 at 9:58 AM

It's interesting, my son often wants to bring it in the car but then he doesn't play it. If I bring it "just in case" to a restaurant he hardly ever uses it(I can think of exactly once this year and it was dinner on Mother's Day with a LONG wait). When he gets a new Ap he might play a bit more for a day or 2 but then he's back to just a few minutes a day again. He's only 4 so I hope it stays that way. I don't like him playing it all day long but his dad is WAY obsessed with his own games on the iPad and computer so it's hard for me to fight against that without my son thinking poorly of his dad(he has parroted my "Daddy needs to quit playing his stupid game" more than once already). I'm often between a rock and a hard place with this one trying to create a healthy balence between active play and screen time.

Precious333
by Julia on Jun. 26, 2014 at 11:31 AM
My dh loves his ps3

Quoting Molimomma:

It's interesting, my son often wants to bring it in the car but then he doesn't play it. If I bring it "just in case" to a restaurant he hardly ever uses it(I can think of exactly once this year and it was dinner on Mother's Day with a LONG wait). When he gets a new Ap he might play a bit more for a day or 2 but then he's back to just a few minutes a day again. He's only 4 so I hope it stays that way. I don't like him playing it all day long but his dad is WAY obsessed with his own games on the iPad and computer so it's hard for me to fight against that without my son thinking poorly of his dad(he has parroted my "Daddy needs to quit playing his stupid game" more than once already). I'm often between a rock and a hard place with this one trying to create a healthy balence between active play and screen time.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN