Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

reading to older children

Posted by on Jun. 25, 2014 at 5:46 PM
  • 12 Replies
Do you read TO your older children? I think I'm going pick up a good series and read it to them. I miss those days of reading to them.
by on Jun. 25, 2014 at 5:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kmath
by Silver Member on Jun. 25, 2014 at 6:01 PM

D is only 8, but I am sure I will read to him as long as he will let me.

StanleyGirl
by Member on Jun. 25, 2014 at 6:05 PM
My kids love when I read to them my boys are 9 and 11 we just finished beowulf and my 15 yr old and I take turns reading to each other I do a chapter then she does we just finished the divergent series. My best child hood memories are of my dad reading to me and my brother every night I'll never forget jungle book, dad was a big Kipling fan (:
motheroffour186
by Bronze Member on Jun. 25, 2014 at 6:09 PM
Both we read to them and they read to us for vocabulary words/spelling words
hwblyf
by Silver Member on Jun. 25, 2014 at 7:00 PM

I'm reading The Chestnut King with all the kids right now.  I also am in different Harry Potters with several of my kids.  I usually read the HPs at night, when they request.  Chestnut King is during the school day.  Great time together.  My kids are 5, 7, 8, 9, 11.

NYCitymomx3
by Bronze Member on Jun. 25, 2014 at 10:15 PM

My ds is 13 and I still read to him.  Our curriculum uses a lot of books and I read him at least half of it.  Ds is dyslexic and gets physically exhausted reading for more than a few minutes, so I read.  He narrates back, we discuss, and I know he has full comprehension.  That's the goal and it works for us.

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Jun. 26, 2014 at 6:51 AM

I read things above their reading levels which is getting more difficult with a 9yo who reads at an upper high school level.  Anyway, I read science articles, historical documents, and ancient stories (like Homer and Chaucer) to them.  

katyq
by Member on Jun. 26, 2014 at 6:54 PM

I remember my 5th and 6th grade teachers reading to my class. Books like "The Giver". I loved it.

hipmomto3
by Bronze Member on Jun. 26, 2014 at 8:49 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting katyq:

I remember my 5th and 6th grade teachers reading to my class. Books like "The Giver". I loved it.

I loved having my teachers read aloud too. My favorite memory is my 4th grade reading teacher reading "Where the Red Fern Grows" to us. 

We read (well by we I mean, DH) to our kids at bedtime every other night (on the other nights, he reads with them individually for 10-15 minutes each). They are reading the Fablehaven series right now (on book 2). 

We also like to keep an audio book in the car and listen to it in bits and pieces. We listened to all of the 39 Clues books this way, and then just a few weeks ago we did Holes.We need a new one!

Bluerose1482
by Member on Jun. 26, 2014 at 9:49 PM

We take turns sometimes, or I just read to them if they can't quite read it to themselves.

coala
by Silver Member on Jun. 27, 2014 at 2:32 PM

I'm glad that you enjoy reading to them.  I prefer not to read to them.  I don't like reading aloud....it hurts my throat.

I did read to my  youngest for as long as she let me.....until she turned 4.  It was an "I can do it by myself Mommy, I don't need you to read to me".  I do let them read to me when they want.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN