Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Needing some advice, please.

Posted by on Jun. 25, 2014 at 11:41 PM
  • 20 Replies

My children aren't school aged yet, but we are planning on home schooling them. My oldest is almost 2, he is extremely active, high strung, and does not like to sit still. I have been wanting to try to introduce the alphabet, numbers. animals sounds, shapes, colors, ect., I've gotten him ABCmouse (toddlertime) but I can't get him to sit still or teach him how to use it. I know some of you are thinking I'm probably nuts or he's too little. Honestly the main reason I am doing this, besides being excited to educate my child, is because he hasn't started to talk yet, only jargen (not sure if that's spelled right). I've tried reading him stories, educational programs, talking to him and telling him about his toys, stuff like that, but I'm concered. If he doesn't start talking by the time he is two, my doctor wants to send him to a speech therapist. I don't know if this makes sense but if anyone has some pointers, I'd greatly appreciate it.

by on Jun. 25, 2014 at 11:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
katyq
by Member on Jun. 26, 2014 at 12:13 AM
1 mom liked this

Not talking doesn't mean that he doesn't understand language, he just hasn't been able to communicate what he knows yet, for whatever reason. If you are really itching to teach him, sign language may be a good idea :)

momma_stillings
by New Member on Jun. 26, 2014 at 12:31 AM
1 mom liked this

Thank you! I will have to try that! 

Not talking doesn't mean that he doesn't understand language, he just hasn't been able to communicate what he knows yet, for whatever reason. If you are really itching to teach him, sign language may be a good idea :)

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Jun. 26, 2014 at 7:04 AM

Jargon?  Jargon is technical speak that is difficult for others to understand.  I had a friend who didn't speak until she was 4 and then started right into full sentences.  She was always a perfectionist and graduated as our salutatorian.  Very bright girl.  A speech therapist is a good idea, but don't be overly concerned.

If he can't sit still, he is not ready for ABCmouse.  You can do a lot of work with him using flashcards on the floor.  "Stomp on the red", "pick the A up over your head" etc.  Keeps him moving and shows he's understanding without making him sit.  My youngest is most likely ADHD, he has only been able to sit at the computer for the last 6 months or so (he's 5and a half).  I built him a desk out of the bottom of an old treadle sewing machine.  That way he can keep his feet moving and he focuses better.  We've also used an exercise ball, engaging the muscles to balance helps those really active kids focus.  But neither of those are quite apropriate yet.  Let him be a toddler.  He should not be on the computer yet, his brain is not ready for it.  There are so many things you can do while playing with this age, I simply wouldn't recommend the computer until he's at least 4....even then it's with misgivings.

Teeter-Tottered
by Member on Jun. 26, 2014 at 8:16 AM
My DD didn't start talking until after 2, and although I've known many little ones who started earlier, I've also known just as many who didn't have their language explosion until after 2.

I wouldn't worry too much for now, but if you're interested in teaching sign language ( which helped us a ton!) I'd recommend the Sign, Sing and Play kit by Monta z Bryant.

In regards to homeschooling ( and little ones in general) , I have some awesome recommendations if you're interested (as far as playing around with ideas, finding your the path that suits you, lessening your worry about your little one, etc):

Timberdoodle: is a homeschooling company that focuses on hands on learning items. Although we don't believe in formal schooling for our little ones until 6-7, I do splurge on their manipulatives and puzzles each year. They're too cute and fun-love them! You might find what they offer great for your active little one.

Waldorfessentials: I admit I'm a serious idea thief. I steal what I feel is the best of whatever is out there. I like some aspects of waldorf, and some not. I'm stating this because I want you to know that I recommend this website and the 'Thinking, Feeling, Willing' program they offer, not as a waldorf-ian by any means, but simply as a mom. Her podcasts are just amazing. If I could only recommend one thing to help someone find their path on their homeschooling journey, that program would be it. It just...got my head and heart in the right place for homeschooling and I'm so very grateful it was recommended to me by a member of this group!

Magicalchildhood.com: this is a great site to cuddle up with a cup of coffee or tea and read when you get a moment to yourself. Whenever I feel like I've lost my footing as a mom and get caught up in things that don't matter, reading the articles on this site always pulls me back. Helps me find that magic again. Works wonders on those really, really tough days ;)

Joyfultoddlers.com: this site has given me so much inspiration and reminders when it comes to handling littles and their big personalities lol

Sorry, this might seem like an odd answer or advice, but I think what I'm trying to do is offer some ideas that might help you worry a bit less, and provide some inspiration and reassurance.

Best of luck to you and your little one!

Annastacialynn
by Member on Jun. 26, 2014 at 8:23 AM
1 mom liked this

My son was (and is still) like that. He is 7 now and able to sit for a bit longer, but I let him roll on the floor when he spells his spelling words or says his multiplication tables - stuff that doesn't involve writing. Maybe if you made it a fun game for your son - ex: sit on the floor and say: "this is an A. (hold up flashcard) A is for ant. can you be a tiny ant?" (let him pretend to move like an ant) "Now A says ___. Can you be a tiny ant and say ___?" (let him try to say it and make a big deal about him trying). I think he will get it. :) I have found with my son that if I let him move around while he is learning he learns more and enjoys it more. (its just hard for me because I want him to sit still!) :-P  I feel like that is one of the joys of homeschooling - doing things differently to fit your child. :) Keep working with him. It'll all work out. :) I hope this helps! :) hugs!

hwblyf
by Silver Member on Jun. 26, 2014 at 8:52 AM
1 mom liked this

My oldest didn't start talking until 2~2.5.  My ped wasn't concerned, because he was able to follow directions, which showed he understood language.  I used to get school aged kids to run to different alphabet letters at the playground and then do the activity there (slide, swing, whatever).  At 2, I would focus more on the physical, less on the "academic".

momma_stillings
by New Member on Jun. 27, 2014 at 1:11 AM

Thank you for taking the time to type out those websites! I am going to write them down and check them out when I have some free time! I appreciate it, really I do! And thank you for recommending the sign language kit, I am going to check that out now!

Your reply wasn't odd or anything like that. It was very helpful and comforting. Thank you again!

Quoting Teeter-Tottered: My DD didn't start talking until after 2, and although I've known many little ones who started earlier, I've also known just as many who didn't have their language explosion until after 2. I wouldn't worry too much for now, but if you're interested in teaching sign language ( which helped us a ton!) I'd recommend the Sign, Sing and Play kit by Monta z Bryant. In regards to homeschooling ( and little ones in general) , I have some awesome recommendations if you're interested (as far as playing around with ideas, finding your the path that suits you, lessening your worry about your little one, etc): Timberdoodle: is a homeschooling company that focuses on hands on learning items. Although we don't believe in formal schooling for our little ones until 6-7, I do splurge on their manipulatives and puzzles each year. They're too cute and fun-love them! You might find what they offer great for your active little one. Waldorfessentials: I admit I'm a serious idea thief. I steal what I feel is the best of whatever is out there. I like some aspects of waldorf, and some not. I'm stating this because I want you to know that I recommend this website and the 'Thinking, Feeling, Willing' program they offer, not as a waldorf-ian by any means, but simply as a mom. Her podcasts are just amazing. If I could only recommend one thing to help someone find their path on their homeschooling journey, that program would be it. It just...got my head and heart in the right place for homeschooling and I'm so very grateful it was recommended to me by a member of this group! Magicalchildhood.com: this is a great site to cuddle up with a cup of coffee or tea and read when you get a moment to yourself. Whenever I feel like I've lost my footing as a mom and get caught up in things that don't matter, reading the articles on this site always pulls me back. Helps me find that magic again. Works wonders on those really, really tough days ;) Joyfultoddlers.com: this site has given me so much inspiration and reminders when it comes to handling littles and their big personalities lol Sorry, this might seem like an odd answer or advice, but I think what I'm trying to do is offer some ideas that might help you worry a bit less, and provide some inspiration and reassurance. Best of luck to you and your little one!

Precious333
by Julia on Jun. 27, 2014 at 1:48 AM
1 mom liked this
Personally I would not do computers yet. I think.sign language is an excellent idea though :)
Tawneekitn
by on Jun. 27, 2014 at 2:00 AM

Him not talking yet doesn't neccessarily  mean you need to be worried.  Some kids do not talk as early.  It is a concern though, if his speech continues to be delayed as he gets older - he needs to be able to communicate with you and others.  My son's speech was delayed and I taught him simple signs for 'eat', 'drink' , 'enough', 'more', etc.  I also did take him to a speech therapist.  He started talking on his own, at about 2 1/2 and now I can't get him to stop talking! :-) 

Liamoondancer
by Member on Jun. 27, 2014 at 10:42 AM
1 mom liked this

Our boy twin did not talk until he was nearly 3 1/2.  However he could write simple answers to questions on his white board!  When he finally began speaking, we realized he could read very well.  His forte is math and he has been diagnosed as profoundly gifted..  He is also ADHD and sensory defensive (minor problems with which he copes better as he matures - no melt-downs any more) He still has days when he chooses not to talk and just writes notes  -  or holds up signs.  (Sometimes he just messes with me!!  LOL)

Our pediatrician referred us to the concept of the "Einstein Syndrome " for delayed speech.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)