Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

My children aren't school aged yet, but we are planning on home schooling them. My oldest is almost 2, he is extremely active, high strung, and does not like to sit still. I have been wanting to try to introduce the alphabet, numbers. animals sounds, shapes, colors, ect., I've gotten him ABCmouse (toddlertime) but I can't get him to sit still or teach him how to use it. I know some of you are thinking I'm probably nuts or he's too little. Honestly the main reason I am doing this, besides being excited to educate my child, is because he hasn't started to talk yet, only jargen (not sure if that's spelled right). I've tried reading him stories, educational programs, talking to him and telling him about his toys, stuff like that, but I'm concered. If he doesn't start talking by the time he is two, my doctor wants to send him to a speech therapist. I don't know if this makes sense but if anyone has some pointers, I'd greatly appreciate it.

by on Jun. 25, 2014 at 11:41 PM
Replies (11-20):
Rhyinns.Mommy
by New Member on Jun. 27, 2014 at 9:51 PM
Honestly screw doctors. My brother was three and a half when he learned to speak. My son is almost two and he says parts of words but it's like juice is juiccccccce. And sentences are still lalaladadadala ma dada!! But I'm not concerned. My friends child is 4 and barely speaking out more. She says the best thing is to narrate everything. I did that and my son went from knowing mom to knowing all sorts of words and at least attempting sentences. As long as you are trying I think you'll be fine.

Quoting momma_stillings:

My children aren't school aged yet, but we are planning on home schooling them. My oldest is almost 2, he is extremely active, high strung, and does not like to sit still. I have been wanting to try to introduce the alphabet, numbers. animals sounds, shapes, colors, ect., I've gotten him ABCmouse (toddlertime) but I can't get him to sit still or teach him how to use it. I know some of you are thinking I'm probably nuts or he's too little. Honestly the main reason I am doing this, besides being excited to educate my child, is because he hasn't started to talk yet, only jargen (not sure if that's spelled right). I've tried reading him stories, educational programs, talking to him and telling him about his toys, stuff like that, but I'm concered. If he doesn't start talking by the time he is two, my doctor wants to send him to a speech therapist. I don't know if this makes sense but if anyone has some pointers, I'd greatly appreciate it.

JKronrod
by Bronze Member on Jun. 27, 2014 at 10:17 PM
1 mom liked this

If it makes you feel better, the best man at our wedding didn't talk or walk until he was 3 (!)  He ultimately graduated from UC Berkeley and has had a very successful career (including top level security clearance) as an engineer.  Not talking doesn't necessarily mean that there is a huge problem. 

I'd also recommend the book Late Talking Childrenby Thomas Sowell.  Do you by any chance have either musicians, mathematicians or engineers in your or your husband's family tree? 

I'm also reminded of the Herb Caen story (from a story supposedly told by Jimmy Doolittle) from years ago in the SF Chronicle:  "About 6-yr-old boy, who'd never spoken a work in his life, suddenly looking up from breakfast and announcing: "This filthy mush is cold." Parents delighted, but aback-taken. "We're happy to hear you speak at last," said mama, "but why the foul language?" And'd boy, firmly: "The filthy mush has never been cold before.""

Beniegenie
by Member on Jun. 29, 2014 at 12:59 AM
My oldest didn't talk until he turned 2.5 and was working with a speech therapist. But he was very intelligent. He knew all his letters, numbers to 10, shapes and colors before he was two. I never worked with him with flash cards or computer games or anything like that. I just played on the floor with him, only bought toys that were educational in some way shape or form. I bought him tons of books, puzzles, blocks, animals, cars, wooden lacing beads and stuff. You never have to show him objects saying "this is red" or "this is three", the best way to teach him is to just play with him and talk about everything. By saying stuff like "we're going I out the red truck in the parking garage" while playing with the red truck, you are teaching him the color red. I like simple board books and not to read the story as much as to point at all the pics and talk about them. After reading the same few books several times you can ask him to find you the bear or the red truck or the number 4. You'll be amazed at how much he's absorbed just from playing and talking about everything. Even if you have another younger baby that needs more attention, breast feeding or whatever, you can still do these things. If you're nursing have him bring you a blue ball or whatever. Following directions is an important step to learning. You'll be shocked by what he learns and when he does start talking the conversations are amazing. :)
Beniegenie
by Member on Jun. 29, 2014 at 1:14 AM
1 mom liked this
Also my youngest (girl) was a chatter box from birth, but she didn't have real words even at 20 months. She said stuff that clearly meant the same thing every time she said it, but it was as if she was hearing the words backwards. She'd say gon gon for water, and I mean any water, rain, pool, bath, drink, didn't matter. Abian was airplane, ro RO meant dog. Giya for dinosaur. It was very cute but I started to worry she wasn't processing what she was hearing correctly or maybe she wasn't hearing well. I wasn't sure. I got in touch with my oldest son's old speech therapist, who is now a close friend, and she told me word substitution was very normal at that age. A week later my little chatterbox was speaking in full sentences and mostly intelligible words. It was shocking. She's now almost 3 and has a huge vocabulary for a two year old, LOL! Speech therapy may be an option. And if he gets to 2 without speech I'd recommend it. You will learn ways to play with him that will encourage speech. I hope this helps :)
momma_stillings
by New Member on Jun. 29, 2014 at 12:18 PM

Thank you for the advice! I was wondering if you had anymore because I'm not sure how energetic your kids are but I figured I'd ask.

My boy is extremely high strung and strong willed. He's been like this pretty much since the day he was born. Up until he was 6 months he would have me hold him and put him down for bed. One day he just started kicking and screaming and hitting me if I, or anyone, tried to hold him and put him to sleep. I know it was a good thing he didn't NEED me to fall asleep but he's my baby lol. Every once in awhile, when I sit on the floor to play with him, he will join me. He'll sit between my legs and show me what he has or he'll hand me his toys, take them back, hand them to me again, ect. Sometimes he does come and get me and pulls me to the floor, but normally he does that when I'm changing sissy's diaper. I do go and sit with him when I'm finished though.

Now here's where things get a little more challenging; Aleister has a tendancy to try and tear up his books. I have had to throw many cardboard books away because he's torn them. I've tried telling him to be nice to the books and not to tear them up. I'm not sure what else to do, other then maybe having him throw it away himself. With that I'm worried he'll start throwing everything away. And he also is still in that "oral stage" and he puts EVERYTHING in his mouth or chews on it. He's tried to eat his puzzles. Luckily he hasn't tried to eat his wooden puzzle. Also if I try to sit down and show him a book, explain things to him, ask him question or anything, he will take the book and walk away. Sometimes if I try to include myself in his playing he will throw a fit (scream, hit, throw himself on the floor, headbutt the floor or toy chest) and that's if I do something he doesn't want me to.

I'm sure it's probably normal for some kids, I'm a SAHM so he's always around me and easily bored or something with me. And I'm not sure if any of this makes sense because I've been rambling. I will note that he can follow directions, when he choses to listen, he will help me dress him, he knows what things are (drink, cat, dog, ball) he points a lot and somethings are starting to sound like actual words.  Sorry again if this is really long, or even relavent lol. Hope you have a good day.

Quoting Beniegenie: My oldest didn't talk until he turned 2.5 and was working with a speech therapist. But he was very intelligent. He knew all his letters, numbers to 10, shapes and colors before he was two. I never worked with him with flash cards or computer games or anything like that. I just played on the floor with him, only bought toys that were educational in some way shape or form. I bought him tons of books, puzzles, blocks, animals, cars, wooden lacing beads and stuff. You never have to show him objects saying "this is red" or "this is three", the best way to teach him is to just play with him and talk about everything. By saying stuff like "we're going I out the red truck in the parking garage" while playing with the red truck, you are teaching him the color red. I like simple board books and not to read the story as much as to point at all the pics and talk about them. After reading the same few books several times you can ask him to find you the bear or the red truck or the number 4. You'll be amazed at how much he's absorbed just from playing and talking about everything. Even if you have another younger baby that needs more attention, breast feeding or whatever, you can still do these things. If you're nursing have him bring you a blue ball or whatever. Following directions is an important step to learning. You'll be shocked by what he learns and when he does start talking the conversations are amazing. :)

ablackdolphin
by Bronze Member on Jun. 29, 2014 at 2:59 PM
My Dd is crazy active!!!

We did letters and numbers in the tub. Crayons, sticky letters etc she bathes ebvery night and one if us stands there the whole time so we would draw things for them or make words.

Bith kuds have wood letters on their wall with their names we say their name and each letter at every disper chng

I rock to sleep with the abc song

melissa n doug have a number puzzle that talks

preschool prep dvds

ablackdolphin
by Bronze Member on Jun. 29, 2014 at 2:59 PM
lots of books but dd did not like to sit until age 2 by 2.5 she was reading!!!!!!!
ablackdolphin
by Bronze Member on Jun. 29, 2014 at 3:00 PM
Read to him while he plays
ablackdolphin
by Bronze Member on Jun. 29, 2014 at 3:00 PM
have him finish the sentence or last words of books he knows on every page
LostTheSlipper
by Bronze Member on Jun. 30, 2014 at 1:16 AM

Quoting momma_stillings:

Thank you for the advice! I was wondering if you had anymore because I'm not sure how energetic your kids are but I figured I'd ask.

My boy is extremely high strung and strong willed. He's been like this pretty much since the day he was born. Up until he was 6 months he would have me hold him and put him down for bed. One day he just started kicking and screaming and hitting me if I, or anyone, tried to hold him and put him to sleep. I know it was a good thing he didn't NEED me to fall asleep but he's my baby lol. Every once in awhile, when I sit on the floor to play with him, he will join me. He'll sit between my legs and show me what he has or he'll hand me his toys, take them back, hand them to me again, ect. Sometimes he does come and get me and pulls me to the floor, but normally he does that when I'm changing sissy's diaper. I do go and sit with him when I'm finished though.

Now here's where things get a little more challenging; Aleister has a tendancy to try and tear up his books. I have had to throw many cardboard books away because he's torn them. I've tried telling him to be nice to the books and not to tear them up. I'm not sure what else to do, other then maybe having him throw it away himself. With that I'm worried he'll start throwing everything away. And he also is still in that "oral stage" and he puts EVERYTHING in his mouth or chews on it. He's tried to eat his puzzles. Luckily he hasn't tried to eat his wooden puzzle. Also if I try to sit down and show him a book, explain things to him, ask him question or anything, he will take the book and walk away. Sometimes if I try to include myself in his playing he will throw a fit (scream, hit, throw himself on the floor, headbutt the floor or toy chest) and that's if I do something he doesn't want me to.

I'm sure it's probably normal for some kids, I'm a SAHM so he's always around me and easily bored or something with me. And I'm not sure if any of this makes sense because I've been rambling. I will note that he can follow directions, when he choses to listen, he will help me dress him, he knows what things are (drink, cat, dog, ball) he points a lot and somethings are starting to sound like actual words.  Sorry again if this is really long, or even relavent lol. Hope you have a good day.

Quoting Beniegenie: My oldest didn't talk until he turned 2.5 and was working with a speech therapist. But he was very intelligent. He knew all his letters, numbers to 10, shapes and colors before he was two. I never worked with him with flash cards or computer games or anything like that. I just played on the floor with him, only bought toys that were educational in some way shape or form. I bought him tons of books, puzzles, blocks, animals, cars, wooden lacing beads and stuff. You never have to show him objects saying "this is red" or "this is three", the best way to teach him is to just play with him and talk about everything. By saying stuff like "we're going I out the red truck in the parking garage" while playing with the red truck, you are teaching him the color red. I like simple board books and not to read the story as much as to point at all the pics and talk about them. After reading the same few books several times you can ask him to find you the bear or the red truck or the number 4. You'll be amazed at how much he's absorbed just from playing and talking about everything. Even if you have another younger baby that needs more attention, breast feeding or whatever, you can still do these things. If you're nursing have him bring you a blue ball or whatever. Following directions is an important step to learning. You'll be shocked by what he learns and when he does start talking the conversations are amazing. :)

How old is his sister? Maybe it's a form of sibling rivalry? Not talking and tearing things up? He's young, so he might not get that, but maybe somehow he does? Obviously he has some jealousy in there if he's trying to get your attention when you're doing something for his sister.....

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)