Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

help!!

Posted by on Jun. 27, 2014 at 11:02 PM
  • 7 Replies
Last year for 3rd grade I pulled my daughter out of school to homeschool during a 3 week teacher strike. I fell on my face after I became nervous on curriculum and questioned if I was harming my child's education and sent her back to public school after 2 months. This year they have conjoined 4th graders in with the 8th graders and my daughter has complained she is bored with school she had all A's and said this district we moved into for 3rd grade was "easy". I was wondering if anyone has used or uses a secular curriculum and what your experience was? Also I was wanting to know what curriculum's might fit our style. I Have my 4th grader, a pre-k, and a baby due in Dec. I want something that she can do independent work but still has me teaching her. I would love and prefer teacher manuals or lesson guides with the curriculum that maps out how I should be teaching and how long each section takes to cover. I believe this would clear my anxiety and was a big reason why I failed at my first attempt to homeschool. I live in IL where as long as I stay on par with what the public schools are teaching (grade appropriate or higher) anything goes. Any and all help is appreciated even if its not pertaining to my questions above :)
by on Jun. 27, 2014 at 11:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
Reina13
by Reina on Jun. 28, 2014 at 2:01 PM
2 moms liked this

Hi. I haven't started homeschooling yet but joined this group for the advice and support. There are moms here who have various styles of homeschooling so I am sure any of them can help you out.

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Jun. 28, 2014 at 2:21 PM
1 mom liked this

My oldest is starting 4th grade this year.  We are using Math U See Delta level for math; Time for Grammar Kids, Spelling You See, Language Network, Houghton Mifflin Reading Delights and classic novels for language arts; History of the World book 3, National Grographic Atlas of the US, and Living books for history, Macgraw-Hill science 4 for science, and Lightning Fast Spanish.

Most of that is secular.  History of the World is written from a Protestant point of view (and it does show up every once in a while) and the writers of Math U See and Spelling You See are a Christian company, but I've never seen anything of religion discussed in the Math U See book.  (We are only trying SYS for the first time this coming year.

Most of the people who put their kids back into school because they are concerned about the level of education they are providing are actually doing a wonderfull job!  The ones that aren't worried at all that sometimes need a reality check.  In other words, we all doubt ourselves now and then.  You can do this.  You cannot do too much damage in a single year.  Seriously.  So IMO you should try it out for a full year.  At the end of the year, give her a diagnostic test (there are plenty of them on the market, we use Let's Go Learn DORA and ADAM tests) the test report will give you a good idea of where you excelled and where you might be weak.  It's what prompted me to change our spelling curriculum (he only tested on level for that one).

Again, you CAN do this!

anzm33
by Member on Jun. 28, 2014 at 2:32 PM
1 mom liked this
Thank you so much! I will look into those :) I am 100% going to do that end of the year testing to ensure shes on par that's a wonderful suggestion and would ease my mind a lot!

Quoting bluerooffarm:

My oldest is starting 4th grade this year.  We are using Math U See Delta level for math; Time for Grammar Kids, Spelling You See, Language Network, Houghton Mifflin Reading Delights and classic novels for language arts; History of the World book 3, National Grographic Atlas of the US, and Living books for history, Macgraw-Hill science 4 for science, and Lightning Fast Spanish.

Most of that is secular.  History of the World is written from a Protestant point of view (and it does show up every once in a while) and the writers of Math U See and Spelling You See are a Christian company, but I've never seen anything of religion discussed in the Math U See book.  (We are only trying SYS for the first time this coming year.

Most of the people who put their kids back into school because they are concerned about the level of education they are providing are actually doing a wonderfull job!  The ones that aren't worried at all that sometimes need a reality check.  In other words, we all doubt ourselves now and then.  You can do this.  You cannot do too much damage in a single year.  Seriously.  So IMO you should try it out for a full year.  At the end of the year, give her a diagnostic test (there are plenty of them on the market, we use Let's Go Learn DORA and ADAM tests) the test report will give you a good idea of where you excelled and where you might be weak.  It's what prompted me to change our spelling curriculum (he only tested on level for that one).

Again, you CAN do this!

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Jun. 28, 2014 at 2:39 PM
2 moms liked this

Glad I could help.  The tests ease my mind every single year!  :-)

Quoting anzm33: Thank you so much! I will look into those :) I am 100% going to do that end of the year testing to ensure shes on par that's a wonderful suggestion and would ease my mind a lot!
Quoting bluerooffarm:

Again, you CAN do this!

jen2150
by Silver Member on Jun. 28, 2014 at 4:02 PM
1 mom liked this
Agree with everyone we all worry. I am going on 8 years and I still worry. All kids have learning gaps whether you homeschool or use a regular school. I just recently added in a literature program because I saw a need. It is natural to add things in and take them away as necessary. Worry is good as long as it is small portions and doesn't cause unnecessary stress. We use a mixture of christian and secular. Some subjects matter more than others. Remember tests can be a good indicator but not always. Our tests are right on par with where I know where they are at. In my experience most Homeschoolers have a pretty good idea where their kids are at academically.
romacox
by Silver Member on Jun. 28, 2014 at 4:24 PM
1 mom liked this

Many of us started out thinking like we were going to create a classroom.  But when you home school, the hole world is your classroom.  How To Home School describes various methods used by home educators, grade level requirements, and more.  It is all free information. 

Bleacher-mom
by Member on Jun. 30, 2014 at 1:44 PM
What we use that worked for us is for History and Science we follow what is laid out in THE WELL TRAINED MIND. We do as many laptops as we can for what ever they are learning.
For the main subjects we use COMPREHENSIVE CURRICULUM OF BASIC SKILLS. It is a huge workbookof around 500 pages. I can help them with the directions if they need it and then step aside and let them do their work.
A great book that is perfect for when your just starting out is SO YOUR THINKING ABOUT HOMESCHOOLING by LISA WHELCHEL. I found it at the library. It really goes over many different styles of homeschooling and shows the advantage of that style.
Hope this helps.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)