Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms
I had really hoped to post how thrilled I was with test scores and how easy it was. But sadly that's not what happened here. DS did fine, above grade level in everything. DD is entering 6th grade and got mid 5th grade level for 3 out of 7 sections. I'm so disappointed...mostly with myself. I thought I was really helping her get ahead from where she was in ps. I really wish I had tested them at the beginning of the year...maybe there would have at least been some improvement...or maybe I should have just gone with the portfolio eval (we have the choice here) and I wouldn't have really known..but that's why I did the test so I could prove we were doing fine...so much for that :(

So, I am thinking we need to do a more year round schooling for now and just be more serious this year. I'm thinking 5 weeks on, 1 week off (longer at Christmas and longer at the end of the regular school year). Another problem is that we ended school and had almost three weeks off before I had them sit down and take the test..and I hadn't done any tests with DD this year at all, so I think there was some test anxiety and ps flashbacks going on. But it still doesn't help me prove to the doubters that this is the best decision. I told DH I really want to use this as a tool to work on weak areas.

The issues she had were with math computation, reading comprehension, and spelling. So if anyone has any ideas to help me strengthen those areas, please share! Also, how do you all feel about memorizing multiplication facts? Is it a requirement in your opinion?
by on Jun. 29, 2014 at 7:52 AM
Replies (11-12):
hwblyf
by Silver Member on Jul. 1, 2014 at 8:31 AM
1 mom liked this

We love to listen to books.  But the library ones are very well used and sometimes not in great (usable) shape.  Audible.com is an Amazon company that does the audio books.  You can listen from your computer, tablet, phone, or burn a CD.  Memberships aren't unreasonable, and way cheaper than buying an audio book without membership discounts!  You can also find good discussion questions online for almost any book.  I printed out a snack and chat sheet that I found online that gives us topics to talk about while we're eating our snacks.  They love to eat, they love to talk.....it's like two great tastes that taste great together.  I also pinned a bunch of comprehension book marks that I haven't printed out yet.  My kids NEVER have bookmarks.  I don't see how that's possible, but I'll put out more....

My kids get a lot of practice reading out loud, if they want.  With 5 kids in the house, there's never a shortage of someone who wants to be read to at any given moment.  Helps a LOT with inflection and such.  A 6th grader reading Green Eggs and Ham out loud to herself might seem odd, but when practicing a new skill like pacing or inflection, you might want her to go back to picture books.  Can she record herself to send to a younger relative?  Success is our friend....once she's successful with smaller pieces, she'll be psyched to do more.

Quoting TJandKarasMom: Thank you for this. I feel the same way, that if she could memorize the tables the rest of her math would just be so much easier for her. I will look at those sites, I have an iPad and she has an iPod, so maybe some math games just need to be part of math every day. I will start reading more with her. She is also going to read the same book as our neighbor that home schools (she's older than DD, but we can find some interesting books for both of them) and they will have a little book discussion. I also wanted to try reading aloud to her, getting books on tape, and having her read aloud to herself and read in her head and see if auditory really does help her more (I believe it does, but this could also show her that reading aloud to herself helps her process more info). Her spelling amazes me sometimes, I just can't figure it out. Sometimes I think she is just rushing or lazy, and other times I think she really doesn't know. Right now they are keeping food diaries and I just glanced at hers this morning, in one line it said "2 peaces"...then "1 peice." Also, when she proofreads her own work or as an assignment, she automatically just reads what it *should* say not what it actually says, so she's really not alowing down enough to review her own work. Thanks again, I needed a reminder that we did ok this year. I am not telling anyone where the scores actually were (my biggest reason is because I don't want DD to know and worry about it), but I did say they weren't as high as I had hoped. My mil definitely will not be told actual scores, lol.
AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Jul. 1, 2014 at 8:34 AM
1 mom liked this

Seriously, though, I would be doing back flips if my dyslexic 7th grader tested even *only* a WHOLE year behind in spelling, lol. It was considered fantastic, even by dd's rigorous school standards (as the dyslexia/private last year), for these kiddos to test 30th-40th percentile in these areas. Progress, on any level, regardless of test scores, was considered success.

As for the math facts... very difficult for most dyslexics (who have working memory issues). If you have the cash to invest, get Dianne Craft's multiplication cards. If not, no worries - the OG tutors at dd's dyslexia school last year used standard flash cards. DD now has her tables down SOLID. Her tutor did NOTHING else for weeks, BUT drill those facts. I'm sure she added some fun in there somehow, but that was her focus for weeks worth of math class, and nothing but that. Drill, drill, drill. When she finally passes those timed tests, make a HUGE deal out of it.

Yes, it is very important to know the tables, especially for a child with learning difficulties. Everything in later math is going to take much longer, and be more frustrating, if she has to count out her tables on her fingers, kwim? Which means she may be held back in math, even if she understands the harder skills conceptually. All because of those pesky tables.

Quoting TJandKarasMom: This made my day. I'm going to come back to this post every time I feel discouraged. Thank you :)
Quoting AutymsMommy:

She's dyslexic, right (or suspected)? Honestly, she did great if that's the case. Sincerely, a dyslexic child only testing half a year behind, in these more formative years, is FANTASTIC. I kid you not.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)