Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Being bullied by my school district. Need help in ohio

Posted by on Jun. 30, 2014 at 4:41 PM
  • 9 Replies
My son will be a second grader next year. I have done the assessments every year that are required. He is going to public school next year. They are telling me in order to enroll him I must provide a assessment , samples of his work, and take the California standardize test. Then they will determine if he will be approved for second grade. He is 7. It is ridiculous to ask for a test. Can they legally demand all of this just to send him to their shitty ass public school. ???
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jun. 30, 2014 at 4:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
LostTheSlipper
by Member on Jun. 30, 2014 at 6:24 PM

Is it just to enroll him or are they questioning his grade level? Maybe call HSLDA and find out? Not sure if you HAVE to be a member for something like that, but you could try. I can't imagine that all of that is legally required anyway.

mjp2707
by Member on Jun. 30, 2014 at 6:36 PM
Both to enroll him and to determine grade level.

Quoting LostTheSlipper:

Is it just to enroll him or are they questioning his grade level? Maybe call HSLDA and find out? Not sure if you HAVE to be a member for something like that, but you could try. I can't imagine that all of that is legally required anyway.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
takes_a_village
by Member on Jun. 30, 2014 at 10:19 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't want to be that person who does not help and just kinda talks anyway but obviously you are already starting out badly with the public school..... if there is any way to not put him in public or to change schools and start fresh I would do it.

mjp2707
by Member on Jun. 30, 2014 at 10:41 PM
Oh I get what you are saying. This is our last school option. I have tried open enrollment every where else, but everyone is full. I am all out of options. I did find out what they are doing is completely allowed. The wording in the law leaves all of the decisions in the school districts hands.

Quoting takes_a_village:

I don't want to be that person who does not help and just kinda talks anyway but obviously you are already starting out badly with the public school..... if there is any way to not put him in public or to change schools and start fresh I would do it.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mem82
by Platinum Member on Jul. 1, 2014 at 9:00 AM
Yes they are within their rights.Ohio law says tgat it is up to the school in deciding how to reenroll. 8(
It doesnt sound too bad. Talk to them. If you dont want to pay for an assessment for this year, or think he will have trouble with the test, talk to a guidence(sp)counslor (sp) They might help.
PinkLight
by New Member on Jul. 1, 2014 at 10:50 AM

I was fed up with our district for different reasons. I also looked extensively at private schools, but the best ones in my area are over 20K a year. He was so bored in school this past year in 2nd grade. So I'm in the process of enrolling him in connections academy on line. I work from home, so he will to. I figured when I need to go out on an appointment I'll bring him with a laptop. We're going to try it this year and see how it goes for both of us.

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Jul. 3, 2014 at 3:13 AM
There is some flexibility with Connections academy, but it is still public school at home, so the teacher they assign you to will have deadlines and expectations. Also, the younger grades still need an parent as a teacher often. It takes a few years before they become more independent.

mjp2707
by Member on Jul. 3, 2014 at 11:55 AM
Thanks everyone. We found out that yes they can ask of of these things of us, but we think they are grossly overstepping. So one of our kids will be open enrolled into a school in our area and our other son will do K-12. The way she spoke to me was disgusting, and if that's how they act before we are part of the district how will they treat us later!?!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kimscorner
by New Member on Jul. 8, 2014 at 2:43 PM

I'm in Ohio as well.

Must not be my residential school district because I swear they are the opposite.  They seem like that don't care what the heck I do.  We are special education and as long as I homeschool my son I'm saving them a TON of money!  lol

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)