Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

i need help PLZ...

Posted by on Jun. 30, 2014 at 5:26 PM
  • 11 Replies
Can anyone help me? My daughter has ADHD & a LEARNING DISABILITY is there a special curriculum for special needs kids?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jun. 30, 2014 at 5:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Saphira1207
by Member on Jun. 30, 2014 at 5:53 PM
1 mom liked this

Not that I know of, but if you're homeschooling can't you just modify what you're doing to take into account her inability to focus for long?

BautifuHart9699
by Member on Jun. 30, 2014 at 7:52 PM
That's true. Thank you.

Quoting Saphira1207:

Not that I know of, but if you're homeschooling can't you just modify what you're doing to take into account her inability to focus for long?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Jun. 30, 2014 at 8:00 PM
1 mom liked this

All you need to do is take her extra energy and focus needs into account and you can choose any program you'd like.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

NYCitymomx3
by Bronze Member on Jun. 30, 2014 at 8:18 PM
1 mom liked this

Read up on the Charlotte Mason method.   It meshes really well with ADHD kids as it uses short lessons, afternoons free, lots of outdoor time, nature walks, copywork, and spoken narrations in lieu of tests and reports.  

BautifuHart9699
by Member on Jun. 30, 2014 at 8:25 PM
Thank you VERY MUCH! :-)

Quoting AutymsMommy:

All you need to do is take her extra energy and focus needs into account and you can choose any program you'd like.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BautifuHart9699
by Member on Jun. 30, 2014 at 8:34 PM
1 mom liked this
I will read it. THANK YOU VERY MUCH! :-)

Quoting NYCitymomx3:

Read up on the Charlotte Mason method.   It meshes really well with ADHD kids as it uses short lessons, afternoons free, lots of outdoor time, nature walks, copywork, and spoken narrations in lieu of tests and reports.  

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
coala
by Silver Member on Jun. 30, 2014 at 9:21 PM

There really isn't a "need" for a special curriculum for an ADHD child.  You just need to focus on how they learn best and use that to your advantage.

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Jun. 30, 2014 at 9:40 PM

No problem. My eldest is ADD and dyslexic. While I do have to use specialized programs for certain subjects, for her dyslexia (namely spelling), all other subjects are simply used at her ability level (several grades below for writing) and the rest I use in a way conducive to what she needs. For example, we do not use a reading intensive math program, and we use a content rich, but easy read for history/geography.

Quoting BautifuHart9699: Thank you VERY MUCH! :-)
Quoting AutymsMommy:

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

romacox
by Silver Member on Jul. 1, 2014 at 5:46 PM

How To Home School is free, and it has a section for special needs that will give you some good resources. 

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Jul. 3, 2014 at 3:33 AM
Use an exercise ball instead of a chair. They can rock and bounce and wiggle as they need.

Also, if you can get their adrenaline pumping, you can get a good 20 minutes or more of focus.

Set timers for small increments... keep it exciting and more hands on...
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)