Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Library reading :-)

Posted by on Jun. 30, 2014 at 7:15 PM
  • 11 Replies
1 mom liked this

Is anybody else taking advantage of the library summer reading programs? :-) My oldest finished kindergarten this year and just started 1st grade so this is our first time being able to participate. She is loving it! For every 3 hours that she reads she gets a prize. She has already earned the first two prizes and she feels so great about herself and more confident about her reading. I am loving it because she is willing now to read harder books more often since they will let her log in more time. She is about to start her first Stepping Stones chapter book and feels excited about it instead of intimidated by the length. :-) Is anyone else using the library reading program to help build up reading skills and confidence? :-) I remember loving these when I was a kid and I am so happy libraries are still doing them. :-)

by on Jun. 30, 2014 at 7:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
hwblyf
by Silver Member on Jun. 30, 2014 at 7:56 PM

I'm not a huge fan of pushing minutes.  BUT, my kids want to participate this year because they get the prizes.  I found my advanced reader would read books that were way too easy for him just to fulfill reading minutes for school, mark that off his list, and then do his real reading.

GodsAmiga
by Member on Jul. 1, 2014 at 1:42 AM

I don't normally do minutes either but she thought it sounded fun and cool. :-) My daughter started out doing the same thing you said your son did until she realized she would have to read way more books. Lol! She has surprised me by how long she will sit and read for now without wanting to take a break. She is beginning to read with more inflection and get more excited about plot turns in the book. She reads to herself a lot throughout the day but it has been nice to be able to listen to her reading skills grow. :-)

Quoting hwblyf:

I'm not a huge fan of pushing minutes.  BUT, my kids want to participate this year because they get the prizes.  I found my advanced reader would read books that were way too easy for him just to fulfill reading minutes for school, mark that off his list, and then do his real reading.

hwblyf
by Silver Member on Jul. 1, 2014 at 8:15 AM

That is so awesome.  I love it when their reading skills come together.  My youngest is getting to that stage now.  :)

Quoting GodsAmiga:

I don't normally do minutes either but she thought it sounded fun and cool. :-) My daughter started out doing the same thing you said your son did until she realized she would have to read way more books. Lol! She has surprised me by how long she will sit and read for now without wanting to take a break. She is beginning to read with more inflection and get more excited about plot turns in the book. She reads to herself a lot throughout the day but it has been nice to be able to listen to her reading skills grow. :-)

Quoting hwblyf:

bether89
by Bronze Member on Jul. 1, 2014 at 10:19 AM

We are using the library reading program this summer.  The kids have to read 10 books each.  The program has a book bingo to encourage reading.  When the kids bingo, they get a prize from the prize box.  One of the spaces is read a 500 page book and my 11 year old picked out a book and started reading it on his own.  If I had asked him to read a 500 page book, he would not have wanted to read it.  I love that it motivates my kids to read books that they would normally not consider on their own.

DesireMM
by Desire' on Jul. 1, 2014 at 4:32 PM

Our library doesn't do minutes. Ours goes off of how many books they read. But my kids have already gotten all the prizes they are allowed to get since during summer they go through about 15 books a week.

GodsAmiga
by Member on Jul. 1, 2014 at 7:37 PM
1 mom liked this

That is so awesome! I love how these programs can show kids that reading longer books really isn't as overwhelming as they might think. :-) 

Quoting bether89:

We are using the library reading program this summer.  The kids have to read 10 books each.  The program has a book bingo to encourage reading.  When the kids bingo, they get a prize from the prize box.  One of the spaces is read a 500 page book and my 11 year old picked out a book and started reading it on his own.  If I had asked him to read a 500 page book, he would not have wanted to read it.  I love that it motivates my kids to read books that they would normally not consider on their own.

GodsAmiga
by Member on Jul. 1, 2014 at 7:40 PM

I'm not sure if they are doing minutes for everyone or not. I think older kids might go by number of books. My daughter is 5 so in the younger group and I haven't heard if it's the same with all the groups or not. :-)

Quoting DesireMM:

Our library doesn't do minutes. Ours goes off of how many books they read. But my kids have already gotten all the prizes they are allowed to get since during summer they go through about 15 books a week.

Donna.June
by Member on Jul. 1, 2014 at 7:43 PM
Yes! Our library is encouraging infants (be read to) to teens to read. Four of my five kids are involved. I feel kind of silly signing up my infant, but she is read to.
They ask to read 20 minuted a day for ten days in a row. Every ten days is a different pize. My kids have earned their third prize so far.
I also had them signed up with HEB's reading program and the two oldest participates with the Barnes and Noble program.

All this has really made reading fun for my kids.
Donna.June
by Member on Jul. 1, 2014 at 7:45 PM
Hey are also participating with the Half-Priced Books summer reading program.
dougiesmom
by Member on Jul. 7, 2014 at 3:24 PM

Our library does number of books read for the pre-K to K age group, and number of pages read for 1st through 5th grade. The prizes are based on goals they set for themselves at the beginning of the program. (She had to specify to my 2nd grader that if his books' pages didn't have at least three sentences each on them, it wouldn't count. He's been trying to fill his list up with little brother's books!) To get them extra motivated at home, I set a rule for videogames that they can't play any games until they've read either two books (for the youngest) or two chapters (for the older two). 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN