Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Summer reading

Posted by on Jun. 30, 2014 at 7:30 PM
  • 12 Replies

Hi ladies can any of you recommend and good thick books for a 10yr old girl that's on a 5/6th grade reading level but that is still not to mature... She reads pretty fast and I'm running out of ideas on books.... We can't check out books at the library because we are out of state and every time we have tried they want proof of address and won't accept a motel... She doesn't like to read on the iPad either... She prefers actual books.. Which I don't blame her lol... Thanks in advance

by on Jun. 30, 2014 at 7:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ShaMac
by New Member on Jun. 30, 2014 at 7:52 PM
What genres does she like?
hwblyf
by Silver Member on Jun. 30, 2014 at 8:00 PM

We are in the middle of reading the 100 Cupboards series by N.D. Wilson.  He also has the Ashtown Burial series (first book is Dragon's Tooth).  Those are good series.  I have mainly boys, so I don't know how girls (other than my one girl with 4 brothers) feel about those books.  I love them.  :)

bldjrs123
by Member on Jun. 30, 2014 at 8:07 PM

She likes just about anything.... Recently she the candymaker, the sisterhood of the traveling pants series, black beauty, goosebumps, dairy of whimpy kid books... She reads anything lol

coala
by Silver Member on Jun. 30, 2014 at 9:23 PM

Hit your local Goodwill.....you can pick up books for 39-99 cents a piece.  You will find ALL kinds of stuff covering every genre.  Also put in your broswer on your phone....arbookfinderus.com.  This is what I use while out and about to chekc reading levels.  Good luck!!

coala
by Silver Member on Jun. 30, 2014 at 9:24 PM

Horse Diaries is another good series.  We hace the first 4-7 books (not sure at the moment.....they are packed as we are moving), but they look really good.

Quoting bldjrs123:

She likes just about anything.... Recently she the candymaker, the sisterhood of the traveling pants series, black beauty, goosebumps, dairy of whimpy kid books... She reads anything lol

TJandKarasMom
by Debbie on Jul. 1, 2014 at 8:04 AM
We get most of our books at goodwill also!

My 11yo recently read the Emily Windsnap series (I think she's a mermaid) she absolutely loved them, she would read and just not put the books down (which I love to see with her bc she is not a huge reader). She also likes some of the classics, she is reading White Fang right now, she loved Black Beauty. We just go to the goodwill and she gets whatever looks interesting to her. I have actually had to limit my kids on buying books because we are running out of places to put them!
Cafe MichelleP
by Head Admin on Jul. 1, 2014 at 8:18 AM

Have her try the Pandora Gets...(Mythic Misadventures series) by Carolyn Hennesy, they are about 250 pages each and good, fun stories.

bldjrs123
by Member on Jul. 1, 2014 at 1:40 PM
Thanks ladies these are some great ideas
DesireMM
by Desire' on Jul. 1, 2014 at 4:27 PM

My son just start the "A Series of Unfortunate Events" and so far he is loving them. The Spiderwick Chronicles and Creepover series are some other good ones. And personally I loved Nancy Drew growing up.

ShaMac
by New Member on Jul. 1, 2014 at 4:31 PM
The Benedict Society
I like Gail Carson Levine
The Shadow Children Series
My daughter is 11. She really liked the Julie of the wolves series this year.
Also The Number of the Stars
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)