Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

struggling so much in math :( (small update)

Posted by on Jun. 30, 2014 at 7:45 PM
  • 23 Replies

My 7-8 yr old is really struggling with math. So, this summer we are doing catch up work. We are using the flash cards, for addition, I have several addition games. We are also trying to quickly go through the second grade math u see (we started it in Aprilish) and he is still getting very frustrated. As I was doing the flash cards, his brother, who is going to be in first grade, was having an easier time adding. So, now I am a bit concerned. What can I do to help him with math? also, he is not a fan of workbooks (neither am I).

Small update: We did math today with no tears!!! yay! same stuff, but no workbook or blocks, just some cards and dr erase board. He even made suggestions on what problems to do next! yay!

by on Jun. 30, 2014 at 7:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
hwblyf
by Silver Member on Jun. 30, 2014 at 7:58 PM

Skittles or M&M math.  :)  Have him pay you out the sum of whatever equation is, but you beat him to the answer every time but make him pay more.  Or is that devious?

Bleacher-mom
by Member on Jun. 30, 2014 at 8:39 PM
Have you tried spending time teaching him to understand each concept? Like when DS first got to multiplication in his book I shut the book, got out little cups and glass beads and showed him how to multiply. Once he understood then we worked on memorization and practice sheets.
coala
by Silver Member on Jun. 30, 2014 at 9:19 PM

I have a child struggling with the memorization of math facts over 12 and up to 20.  Her younger sister is grasping at a faster pace, but purposefully will answer wrong to throw us off.....to make her sister think she isn't doing it better than she is.  I'm at a loss to.  We are now moving onto multiplication and she is grasping that pretty quickly.

Precious333
by Silver Member on Jun. 30, 2014 at 9:29 PM

LOL! rewards are great!

Quoting hwblyf:

Skittles or M&M math.  :)  Have him pay you out the sum of whatever equation is, but you beat him to the answer every time but make him pay more.  Or is that devious?

Precious333
by Silver Member on Jun. 30, 2014 at 9:32 PM

I am starting to go back to the basics, I think we had more success with one on one, no destractions and using toys. Right now there are too many destractions and we cant spend as much one on one as we use to. I was thinking of getting a tutor so that he could have that, or get a sitter. I can get a tutor through the charte, but they wont pay babysutting.

Quoting Bleacher-mom: Have you tried spending time teaching him to understand each concept? Like when DS first got to multiplication in his book I shut the book, got out little cups and glass beads and showed him how to multiply. Once he understood then we worked on memorization and practice sheets.

Precious333
by Silver Member on Jun. 30, 2014 at 9:34 PM

My 7 yr old has no issues with multiplication because he has memorized his skip counting. He has not memorized adding, but know how to figure it out (thank goodness), it takes him solong, and I wonder what is going on in that little head of his.

Quoting coala:

I have a child struggling with the memorization of math facts over 12 and up to 20.  Her younger sister is grasping at a faster pace, but purposefully will answer wrong to throw us off.....to make her sister think she isn't doing it better than she is.  I'm at a loss to.  We are now moving onto multiplication and she is grasping that pretty quickly.

JKronrod
by Bronze Member on Jun. 30, 2014 at 9:50 PM
1 mom liked this

You've identified the problem -- you don't  know what's going on inside his head.  If it's just a problem of memorization of basics facts, he may just be bored, and unfortunately the only thing to do is "drill and kill."  Flashcard on the computer, worksheets (and, yes, I know how much we all hate those when the child doesn't want to do it), etc.  Rewards in this case will definitely help. 

However, if it's a situation where he isn't thinking about adding in the way everyone else does -- for example, if he is still needing physical representation, etc., you might try something more radical.  For example, my 7-year-old does abacus through his Japanese school, and, interestingly enough, abacus (or sorban as it is pronounced in Japanese) has been part of the required curriculum in math in Japan for a long time.  Those people who are really good at  it can do long computations of addition, subtractions, multiplication and division in their head -- after a certain point in time, they simply visualize the beads rather than having to have an actual physical abacus.  At the highest level it's truly amazing, and I know that my child does his mental computations differently than I do because he's been trained on abacus (he works things out based on combinations that add up to either 5 or 10 -- it's  a little odd to listen to him when he vocalizes what he's doing). 

I'm not saying that you need to do abacus, but rather give it as an example of different, but perfectly valid, approaches from the standard we use here in the U.S.

Good luck! 

Quoting Precious333:

My 7 yr old has no issues with multiplication because he has memorized his skip counting. He has not memorized adding, but know how to figure it out (thank goodness), it takes him solong, and I wonder what is going on in that little head of his.

Quoting coala:

Bleacher-mom
by Member on Jun. 30, 2014 at 9:52 PM
Quoting Precious333:

I am starting to go back to the basics, I think we had more success with one on one, no destractions and using toys. Right now there are too many destractions and we cant spend as much one on one as we use to. I was thinking of getting a tutor so that he could have that, or get a sitter. I can get a tutor through the charte, but they wont pay babysutting.

Quoting Bleacher-mom: Have you tried spending time teaching him to understand each concept? Like when DS first got to multiplication in his book I shut the book, got out little cups and glass beads and showed him how to multiply. Once he understood then we worked on memorization and practice sheets.

Distractions are not good. We tend to babysit a lot abd most days we do we usually cant get any school work done.
jen2150
by Silver Member on Jun. 30, 2014 at 10:04 PM
I suggest maybe using a number line or done visual aid. Keep playing games to learn them naturally. Some kids just take longer than others. Maybe start a math journal. Remember math is more about logic than memorizing math facts. One thing is taught my kids the pairs of numbers that add to 10. Once they had those down pat they could figure out all the other problems in their head.
Precious333
by Silver Member on Jun. 30, 2014 at 10:57 PM
Yeah, i need to figure something out

Quoting Bleacher-mom:
Quoting Precious333:

Distractions are not good. We tend to babysit a lot abd most days we do we usually cant get any school work done.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)