Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

How did you/do you homeschool your 2nd Grader?

Posted by   + Show Post

Just curious what other's schedules were like for 2nd grade. 

Also and advice/tips/tricks greatly appreciated.

My son is 6(will be 7 in Oct.). We pulled him out of Kinder during this last winter break to homeschool. As his birthday is in late Oct. he missed the cut off dates for Kinder the year previous even though he was ready. We put him into a private preschool so he could get used to some structure and they covered mostly what kinder was going to cover. We also have always done a lot at home so it was a bit of a review then as well. He loved it because not only was is pre-k it was owned by a gymnastics company and so they spent a good amount of time moving around and learning basic gymnastics. He loved it because he prefer to stay active. 

Anyways we pulled him out of Kinder and continued with 1st grade and covered most everything needed. So we are moving onto 2nd grade this fall. I've purchased Saxon math 3 for him and had planned on continuing to use lessonpathways.com for a large majority of the rest while filling in with other things either of my own making or free finds I get online. 

He is great at Math and Science and tends to memorize most anything. Loves to be more hands on and move around. 

So that is us but would love to hear about others experiences with 2nd grade. 

by on Jul. 1, 2014 at 11:06 PM
Replies (11-17):
tntmom1027
by Member on Jul. 2, 2014 at 7:44 PM

I looked at the list again and found that most everything can be found online or at our library. My next question is it seems like a lot of reading but that is just from looking over their proposed schedule. I was wondering your thoughts on this? Or how your days kind of worked with CM?

Quoting NYCitymomx3:

I got almost all the books free (on the Kindle) or really cheap (used).  If you have any questions about AO, ask away!

Quoting tntmom1027:

I came across AO last night while looking at Charlotte Mason Method. I still have to look at it more this week and see how much of the recommended books etc I can find for free or cheap. :) 

Quoting NYCitymomx3:

We used Ambleside Online Year 1 (secularly) and a few cheap math workbooks.  I think it was probably my favorite homeschooling year.  I'm in love with the Charlotte Mason method.  As a matter of fact, after a couple of years of reading remediation and using various other curricula, I'm back to using AO again (Pre-Year 7) now with my 13 y/o.

NYCitymomx3
by Bronze Member on Jul. 2, 2014 at 9:28 PM

In second grade, a typical day would look like this:

1. Ds would read an Aesop's Fable to me, then narrate back what he remembered.
  2. Copywork:  One line from a quote, line from a book, etc.
  3. A few pages of another scheduled reading (history, literature, or science).  Ds narrates back.
  4. Math book of choice (1-2 pages)
  5. A few pages from another scheduled reading
  6. A once-a-week thing:  composer, artist, or nature study, Spanish, or science experiment

And AO gives a weekly schedule rather than a daily one, so you can break it up any way you like.  Spoken narrations help with retention of information and (imo) are more effective than reports or testing - they are done with every reading.  Copywork helps with spelling, vocabulary, penmanship, and grammar.  Composer study is a brief overview of a composer's life and listening to various works (even just as background music).  Artist study is a brief overview of an artist's life and their works printed and out to see throughout the week.  Nature study is getting outside with a magnifying glass, sketchbook, colored pencils, and a field guide.  I loved using the Outdoor Hour Challenges.

Click on the "Site Map" page on the AO website and read read read everything you can.  It only works when you really understand it.   The Year 1 36-Week schedule tells you what to do each week (I removed Bible, Parables from Nature, and Trial and Triumph).  All of the readings happen over a week - you'll definitely fit it all in.  An entire day of schoolwork for us took less than 2 hours.  Charlotte Mason believed in short lessons (10-20 minutes each) and afternoons free.  :)  There's also an AO forum on the site and tons of AO blogs out there showing how it's done.

We were also part of several active homeschool groups and went on lots of field trips and did lots of activities.  

Quoting tntmom1027:

I looked at the list again and found that most everything can be found online or at our library. My next question is it seems like a lot of reading but that is just from looking over their proposed schedule. I was wondering your thoughts on this? Or how your days kind of worked with CM?

Quoting NYCitymomx3:

I got almost all the books free (on the Kindle) or really cheap (used).  If you have any questions about AO, ask away!

Quoting tntmom1027:

I came across AO last night while looking at Charlotte Mason Method. I still have to look at it more this week and see how much of the recommended books etc I can find for free or cheap. :) 

Quoting NYCitymomx3:

We used Ambleside Online Year 1 (secularly) and a few cheap math workbooks.  I think it was probably my favorite homeschooling year.  I'm in love with the Charlotte Mason method.  As a matter of fact, after a couple of years of reading remediation and using various other curricula, I'm back to using AO again (Pre-Year 7) now with my 13 y/o.

Angela

DD(20) Hair Stylist (in training) in downtown Manhattan, graduating in late summer
DD(17) First semester dancer/singer/actress at a performing arts conservatory 
DS(13) Experiential homeschooler, mixed martial artist, Confirmand

CITYSCHOOLING

tntmom1027
by Member on Jul. 2, 2014 at 11:15 PM

Thank you so much for taking the time for answering my questions. :)  

Quoting NYCitymomx3:

In second grade, a typical day would look like this:

1. Ds would read an Aesop's Fable to me, then narrate back what he remembered.
  2. Copywork:  One line from a quote, line from a book, etc.
  3. A few pages of another scheduled reading (history, literature, or science).  Ds narrates back.
  4. Math book of choice (1-2 pages)
  5. A few pages from another scheduled reading
  6. A once-a-week thing:  composer, artist, or nature study, Spanish, or science experiment

And AO gives a weekly schedule rather than a daily one, so you can break it up any way you like.  Spoken narrations help with retention of information and (imo) are more effective than reports or testing - they are done with every reading.  Copywork helps with spelling, vocabulary, penmanship, and grammar.  Composer study is a brief overview of a composer's life and listening to various works (even just as background music).  Artist study is a brief overview of an artist's life and their works printed and out to see throughout the week.  Nature study is getting outside with a magnifying glass, sketchbook, colored pencils, and a field guide.  I loved using the Outdoor Hour Challenges.

Click on the "Site Map" page on the AO website and read read read everything you can.  It only works when you really understand it.   The Year 1 36-Week schedule tells you what to do each week (I removed Bible, Parables from Nature, and Trial and Triumph).  All of the readings happen over a week - you'll definitely fit it all in.  An entire day of schoolwork for us took less than 2 hours.  Charlotte Mason believed in short lessons (10-20 minutes each) and afternoons free.  :)  There's also an AO forum on the site and tons of AO blogs out there showing how it's done.

We were also part of several active homeschool groups and went on lots of field trips and did lots of activities.  

Quoting tntmom1027:

Quoting NYCitymomx3:

Quoting tntmom1027:

Quoting NYCitymomx3:

Bluecalm
by Bronze Member on Jul. 3, 2014 at 12:42 AM
We're starting second grade next week. I got Saxon grade 2 and I have a Harcourt grade 2 text for reading but I am adding novel studies. The other subjects I'm pulling together myself. Last year I ended up doing way more online work than I wanted to because my LO was 3 and mischievous. He's still mischievous lol, but I'm starting preK with him. He's been enjoying doing activities based on the same theme as my older son which did well for science. I'm not sure how it will work out but I have high hopes. :)
Leissaintexas
by Bronze Member on Jul. 3, 2014 at 10:55 AM
Gosh, I can't even remember! I think that was the year we did BJU for history, Considering Gods Creation for science, and Spectrum for math and language arts. School usually took us around 2 or 3 hours tops.
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Jul. 3, 2014 at 2:29 PM

Math U See Beta, Story of the World (we are on book 3), Nat Geographic Kids' World Atlas, MacGraw-Hill Science 2, Time for Grammar Kids, spelling You See, Houghton-Mifflin Reading Adventures, Lightning Fast Spanish.

Our literature novels are: Just So Stories.  Kipling, Rudyard.

Berloiz the Bear.  Brett, Jan.

Little Bear's Visit.  Holmelund Minarik, Else.

Abiyoyo.  Seeger, Pete.

The Fox and the Crow.  Weber, Mary (retold).

World's Strangest True Ghost Stories.  Macklin, John.

Freckle Juice.  Blume Judy.

Sammy the Seal.  Hoff, Syd.

The Magic Finger.  Dahl, Roald.

Cave of the Dark Wind.  Barry, Dave.

The Knight at Dawn.  Pope Osbourne, Mary.

How to Train Your Dragon.  Cowell, Cressida.

The Phantom Tollbooth.  Juster, Norton.

Our day looks like this:  Math USee worksheet or test, guided reading either from the text or one of the novels, find the country we will cover in history in the atlas and color the country on a blank map, read the history section, either read a section of science or do a lab from the chapter, spelling practice, health and nutrition--coloring his nutrition chart for the day, free reading for 30 minutes, reading eggs for 30 minutes, and handwriting/spelling practice.

No_Difference
by Silver Member on Jul. 3, 2014 at 7:51 PM
2nd grade with my little guy plans (this would be next year)
Math u see Beta/Delta
Write Shop Primary B
Handwriting Without Tears 2nd grade
Elemental Science...I think earth science and astronomy
History - see time fly series book 2, plus a mix of geography that we do on our own, which also includes cooking from around the world. (SOTW didn't work with my oldest so much, and I have been hard pressed to find a history curriculum I am comfortable with. I ended up breaking down and getting something very much CCS aligned :/ )
All About Spelling 3
All About Reading 3
...I think that's it....
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)