Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

How much planning are you doing this month?

Posted by   + Show Post
Are you getting your ducks in a row for school?
by on Jul. 2, 2014 at 9:32 AM
Replies (21-30):
TJandKarasMom
by Debbie on Jul. 6, 2014 at 9:38 AM
This is almost me exactly! I have sooo much planning to do. I'm not even sure about all of the curriculum we are using. I'm kind of panicking, but I know it will come together.

What are you using to teach Spanish? I'm thinking of just biting the bullet and buying Rosetta Stone, since I can't speak Spanish so I don't feel like I can teach it. I got a Spanish curriculum on cassette tapes for free, so we might try that this week and see what it's like.

We are starting our 'light school' summer tomorrow...math, spelling, Spanish, and astronomy. Mostly just three days a week. The first week in September we will add in the rest of our subjects...which are barely planned right now, hence the panicky feeling...

Quoting hipmomto3:

So much to do. SO MUCH! My head is going to explode.

I am trying to at least start organizing what they are each going to need for the first 9 weeks or so (we have to do 36 weeks so I figure if I can be 1/4 prepared, that's good!), and then pack away everything else so it's not in the way right now.

I'm also preparing for a Spanish class I'll be teaching at co-op so that's a lot of work too.

And my oldest is starting 'middle school' years so I am working up a way to actually keep and record grades for her. It's not required in my state, but I want to get into the habit of it now, so that it'll be no problem once she's in high school (or have it to show if she decides to go to a high school).

tiredmomfor2
by **Lyndsay** on Jul. 6, 2014 at 9:42 AM
I have started planning..and stared the portfolio to be graded. Need to finish the portfolio first, then get the rest finished up. This Summer is flying by.
We will not be starting until closer to September this year. Instead of mid August.
I'm doing almost all of our planning...including building our history and science. I feel ready..but must find the time to put it all together.
LostTheSlipper
by Bronze Member on Jul. 6, 2014 at 11:25 AM

School starts tomorrow and I'm not QUITE ready, since I kind of blew off doing anything this week (more like, fell asleep when I should have been working lol.) But we're okay. I really have to get math laid out, but since I don't start with his real book until next week and have the first week of that book planned, we're good and I have 2 weeks to get that figured out.

DS is doing his science online this year because he's getting into "higher" science and I just HATE the stuff, so we'll just do some fun things as I come up with them throughout July, and it's someone else's thing to worry about starting in August (haha, I'm evil) - though I have had the stuff sitting here for the accompanying science experiments that need to be put together into bags appropriately so that's all ready to go.

Also, other than figuring out reading books for whenever I think I'm in pretty good shape.

LostTheSlipper
by Bronze Member on Jul. 6, 2014 at 11:28 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting TJandKarasMom: This is almost me exactly! I have sooo much planning to do. I'm not even sure about all of the curriculum we are using. I'm kind of panicking, but I know it will come together. What are you using to teach Spanish? I'm thinking of just biting the bullet and buying Rosetta Stone, since I can't speak Spanish so I don't feel like I can teach it. I got a Spanish curriculum on cassette tapes for free, so we might try that this week and see what it's like. We are starting our 'light school' summer tomorrow...math, spelling, Spanish, and astronomy. Mostly just three days a week. The first week in September we will add in the rest of our subjects...which are barely planned right now, hence the panicky feeling...
Quoting hipmomto3:

I am trying to at least start organizing what they are each going to need for the first 9 weeks or so (we have to do 36 weeks so I figure if I can be 1/4 prepared, that's good!), and then pack away everything else so it's not in the way right now.

I'm also preparing for a Spanish class I'll be teaching at co-op so that's a lot of work too.

And my oldest is starting 'middle school' years so I am working up a way to actually keep and record grades for her. It's not required in my state, but I want to get into the habit of it now, so that it'll be no problem once she's in high school (or have it to show if she decides to go to a high school).

I'm going to throw this link out there, because I wish I had found out about it sooner for DS:

http://spanish.academy/

TJandKarasMom
by Debbie on Jul. 6, 2014 at 1:19 PM
I just glance but it looks great, thanks for sharing. Did it work well? Was it really expensive?

Quoting LostTheSlipper:

Quoting TJandKarasMom: This is almost me exactly! I have sooo much planning to do. I'm not even sure about all of the curriculum we are using. I'm kind of panicking, but I know it will come together.

What are you using to teach Spanish? I'm thinking of just biting the bullet and buying Rosetta Stone, since I can't speak Spanish so I don't feel like I can teach it. I got a Spanish curriculum on cassette tapes for free, so we might try that this week and see what it's like.

We are starting our 'light school' summer tomorrow...math, spelling, Spanish, and astronomy. Mostly just three days a week. The first week in September we will add in the rest of our subjects...which are barely planned right now, hence the panicky feeling...

Quoting hipmomto3:

I'm going to throw this link out there, because I wish I had found out about it sooner for DS:

LostTheSlipper
by Bronze Member on Jul. 6, 2014 at 4:37 PM

Quoting TJandKarasMom: I just glance but it looks great, thanks for sharing. Did it work well? Was it really expensive?
Quoting LostTheSlipper:

Quoting TJandKarasMom: This is almost me exactly! I have sooo much planning to do. I'm not even sure about all of the curriculum we are using. I'm kind of panicking, but I know it will come together. What are you using to teach Spanish? I'm thinking of just biting the bullet and buying Rosetta Stone, since I can't speak Spanish so I don't feel like I can teach it. I got a Spanish curriculum on cassette tapes for free, so we might try that this week and see what it's like. We are starting our 'light school' summer tomorrow...math, spelling, Spanish, and astronomy. Mostly just three days a week. The first week in September we will add in the rest of our subjects...which are barely planned right now, hence the panicky feeling...
Quoting hipmomto3:

It seems like it's really improving his Spanish for him to be talking with someone an hour each week. We pay for the 15 lessons, which lasts us half a year, and that's about $200.They have other payment and lesson options though.

anzm33
by Member on Jul. 6, 2014 at 11:36 PM
Trying to organize my lesson plans. I had my science social studies and reading curriculum's all end up on back order and am set to start Aug 4 which is making me panic a little hopefully I get them before hand.
sweettigeress
by New Member on Jul. 15, 2014 at 9:42 PM

Not really. Wrote out our lesson plans during the end of the school year and have been too busy planning our vacation, then after that I'll be planning a birthday party. Whe that's over I'll get cracking on school. I don't plan to start her till mid August.

jeng1980
by Member on Jul. 16, 2014 at 10:27 AM

I did lesson plans at the end of June, beginning of July.  We were supposed to start July 7th but my youngest was a very sick little boy with a very aggresive bronchitis so it was doctor visits and holding him all week.  He's 5 1/2 but like I said he was very sick.

We started school this week because I am due to have #4 babe September 10th.  We will take off probably from day of birth until I'm ready to start back.  Say mid October or November.

kimscorner
by New Member on Jul. 17, 2014 at 4:34 PM

Starting this weekend (and through the remainder of this month) I hope/plan on writing out our entire 1st quarter's lesson plans and work material.  I want to have everything planned out that far ahead because having the time to do it once we are working on our stuff is much harder for me.

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN