Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Patriotic Songs

Posted by on Jul. 2, 2014 at 11:20 AM
  • 7 Replies

I was searching for patriotic songs to listen to on the computer and compile the lyrics so we could really learn them.  Whatever site I was on at one point had a bright/bold/big warning about My Country Tis of Thee and how offensive the lyrics are and you need an adult to proceed.  :(

by on Jul. 2, 2014 at 11:20 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
Precious333
by Julia on Jul. 2, 2014 at 11:31 AM
I just looked up the lyrics on wikepedia. I assume they are correct, but I didnt find anything offensive or inappropriate for children.
hwblyf
by Silver Member on Jul. 2, 2014 at 12:19 PM

They had the lyrics right there, and I can't figure out what I'm supposed to be offended by.

Quoting Precious333: I just looked up the lyrics on wikepedia. I assume they are correct, but I didnt find anything offensive or inappropriate for children.

MamaC.2108
by on Jul. 3, 2014 at 2:18 PM
Maybe it was just a general warning for the site you were on, if some of the songs they have are explicit etc.
No_Difference
by Silver Member on Jul. 4, 2014 at 10:52 AM

My guess the "offensive part" would be the last verse simply because people are so over sensitive and the last verse ends with 
"
Our father's God to, Thee,

Author of liberty,
To Thee we sing.
Long may our land be bright
With freedom's holy light;
Protect us by Thy might,

Great God, our King!" 

Thats the only thing I can think of though on why it would be "offensive"  

Saphira1207
by Member on Jul. 4, 2014 at 11:05 AM

I don't know either.  Anything about God I usually skip so .....

Of course, I consider "America the Beautiful" far more patriotic anyway.  I think it should be the national anthem, since it talks about how beautiful and kind our country is, instead of discussing war.

hwblyf
by Silver Member on Jul. 4, 2014 at 12:01 PM

Well, I'm not offended.  :)

Quoting No_Difference:

My guess the "offensive part" would be the last verse simply because people are so over sensitive and the last verse ends with "Our father's God to, Thee,

Author of liberty,To Thee we sing.Long may our land be brightWith freedom's holy light;Protect us by Thy might,

Great God, our King!" Thats the only thing I can think of though on why it would be "offensive"  

No_Difference
by Silver Member on Jul. 5, 2014 at 11:00 AM
1 mom liked this

neither I am :) 

Quoting hwblyf:

Well, I'm not offended.  :)

Quoting No_Difference:

My guess the "offensive part" would be the last verse simply because people are so over sensitive and the last verse ends with "Our father's God to, Thee,

Author of liberty,To Thee we sing.Long may our land be brightWith freedom's holy light;Protect us by Thy might,

Great God, our King!" Thats the only thing I can think of though on why it would be "offensive"  

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN