Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Help me out with Kindergarten

Posted by on Jul. 2, 2014 at 11:32 AM
  • 15 Replies
I'm trying to make a list of things that Theo needs to know for K. I'm kind of in a rut so I'm hoping you guys can help shake my brain loose.
He won't be five for another two weeks but I think he is ready.
by on Jul. 2, 2014 at 11:32 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Jul. 2, 2014 at 11:41 AM
Alphabet, colors, how to write numbers and letters, shapes and colors.
mem82
by Platinum Member on Jul. 2, 2014 at 11:43 AM
Well, he's got shapes down and he knows colors. So I can take those off the list. He does need to learn to write them better.
hwblyf
by Silver Member on Jul. 2, 2014 at 12:56 PM
2 moms liked this

letters/sounds, numbers (ordinal and cardinal), story sequence/retell story in his own words, sight words (look online for Dolch or Fry, I prefer the Fry list), invent stories verbally and in writing, group objects into sets, continue simple patterns, count, skip count by 2s/5s/10s, 1to1 correspondance, know plus and minus, add & subtract numbers to 10, identify coins and bills, know $ and cent signs, measures (length, temp, weight, capacity), time, days of week/months of the year, left & right, position/orientation, 2D figures, national symbols, famous Americans, families/family life through history, maps/globes, names & locations of 7 continents, basic composition of the earth, names/features of 4 seasons, weather, human body, 5 senses/body parts, light & shadows, plants, animals, living v. non-living, magnets

That's what I wrote down from different books.  :)

Molimomma
by Bronze Member on Jul. 2, 2014 at 1:22 PM
1 mom liked this

Letters, letters sounds, blends, CvC words, reading concepts like: characters, problem, solution, title, author, illustrator, sight words, color words, number words, journal drawing and writing about things they have seen/done/read about

shapes, patterns, numbers and counting, left/right, positional words, calendar:months of the year, days of the week, and weather, ordinal numbers, 4 seasons, basic adding and subtracting concept(with manipulatives not memorization of facts) measurement, telling time to the hour & half hour, graphing data in a bar graph or picture graph

living vs. non-living, animal habitats, magnetic vs. not magnetic, sink & float, 5 senses, nutrition, plants, life cycles

community helpers, holidays and historical Americans

That's all I got off the top of my head.

No_Difference
by Silver Member on Jul. 2, 2014 at 2:30 PM

Lets see...with Riley this past year, we did...
Math U See Alpha - so simple adding and subtracting. +0, +1 (and communitive property), +2, +10, and skip counting by 2 and 10, +9 (3+10 is 13 so 3+9 is 12 because 9 is one less than 10 so 12 is one less than 13....) +8, doubles, doubles +1 (3+3+1, or essentially, 3+4...things like that), the 10 and 9 families (all the numbers that equal 10 and 9), the three that weren't covered before - 3+5, 4+7, 5+7, - that is actually as far as we got because I dind't start the beginning of the year with math. the rest is all basic subtraction....which it turned out Riley figured out anyway :/  There were a few pages on shapes in the book too if I recall correctly. 

Spelling we used All About Spelling level 1. He did great...I honestly don't remember the scope and sequence though, and that book is packed away in the closet :/ 

Reading: All About Reading - which mimiced a lot of spelling: we went over all the different letter sounds briefly, then did the sounds of /th/, /sh/, /ch/, initial blends and final blends, the rules with FF, LL, and SS, /ck/, /ng/, /nk/, compound words, plural words, additional sounds for a, i, c, o, g, e, u, y, and ch (the not so common sounds...), short vowels vs long vowels, rules for short vowels, open and closed sylables, counting sylables.
When to use c or k at the beginning of the word when spelling I know was a big one...

We did Handwriting Without Tears for handwriting practice (although I think Riley had a lot more fun using his "writing book" which were handwriting practice sheets inside page protectors and he would write in the book daily on the page protectors. We still did this to practice writing spelling words that he had a little issues with...)  

Writing: Write Shop Primary book A. I mostly did the writing, but he had to come up with the content. I loved watching his imagination soar with some of the writing assignments :) Just because he's too little to write it all down himself, does not mean he shouldn't practice a little right? :) We are doing book A again this year though. We did it half heartedly the first time...I didn't call it a priority, but he wants to write on his own this year.... 

Science: We did a awesome space unit. We took chalk - lots and lots of chalk - and we drew (with the help of his big sister who was also doing this as an assignment) the solar system to scale in the street. We talked about living things vs dead/dying/non living things... We had fun with magnets and discovered iron in the dirt around the home by dragging a magnet in a zip lock bag across the ground. (We collected a good 3 oz!) We did a body unit that the kids want to do again this year - we got butcher paper and traced the kids. then we made bones that would fit inside their traced body, and labeled the bones. It became a big puzzle later on...for Riley the hands and wrist, feet and ankle bones were all together with the one piece having many labels, for Jamie, each carple and tarsel was individual... (she hated me lol) We went over 5 senses. We did volcanoes, earthquakes, and gysers (lots of fun late spring/summery experiments). We did a food chain and a food web briefly, because then I decided we were just going to do biology this year for science lol. 

History/social studies: he learned the importance of volunteer work - we did a lot of liter clean up, volunteering in 4H, and volunteering at the pool for the swim team, and what happens when there aren't enough volunteers... we took a trip to the fire department. For history we started a little WWI and WWII history - mostly the planes and other vehicles since thats what he's interested in.  

mem82
by Platinum Member on Jul. 2, 2014 at 9:45 PM
Thanks!
rmgriffberg
by Member on Jul. 2, 2014 at 9:57 PM

BUMP!

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Jul. 3, 2014 at 3:19 AM
1 mom liked this
Honestly?

The three "r's"

Phonics and handwriting mostly.
butterflymomss
by on Jul. 3, 2014 at 3:29 AM
1 mom liked this
I'm going to bump this for myself if you don't mind OP
AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Jul. 3, 2014 at 11:02 AM

Kindergarten for us is definitely 4 R's focused (reading, writing, arithmetic, and religion), but we do throw in some literature based history and science, and i have a few lapbooks for him too.

We've already started most of our kindergarten curriculum. We're using:

PAL Reading

CLE Math 1 and Miquon

Abeka phonics through handwriting K (cursive)

Memoria Press Junior K recitation, adding in Catholic prayers and memory work

.... second semester we'll add in PAL Writing and Apples and Pears Spelling A.

We use literature for religion, history, and science, with the exception of some lapbooks I picked up.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN