Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

How do I homeschool...

Posted by on Jul. 4, 2014 at 8:50 AM
  • 8 Replies
... my child with ADHD & a LEARNING DISABILITY? I believe she has AUTISM.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jul. 4, 2014 at 8:50 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Precious333
by Silver Member on Jul. 4, 2014 at 9:19 AM
2 moms liked this
My son has something too, not yet diagnosed..i have homeschooled from the start. The beauty of homeschooling is that you can tailor it to your family. Sometimes that takes trial error.
Saphira1207
by Member on Jul. 4, 2014 at 11:08 AM
1 mom liked this

you do lots of research about your child, figure out how she learns best and work your curriculum around that.

Bleacheddecay
by Bronze Member on Jul. 4, 2014 at 11:53 AM

I highly recommend this:

http://www.diagnosticprescriptive.com/poc4u.html

Which was the best money and product I ever got when homeschooling.

And this:

http://www.diagnosticprescriptive.com/adhd.html

and maybe this if you get a diagnosis.

http://www.diagnosticprescriptive.com/learningproblems.html

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Jul. 4, 2014 at 2:30 PM

For starters, don't self diagnose. If you believe your child has a problem, get a diagnosis.

Further, homeschooling a child with learning differences is certainly challenging, but so long as you're willing to put in the effort, it is often the best thing for them.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

Leissaintexas
by Bronze Member on Jul. 5, 2014 at 10:50 AM
Be careful about labeling. Many homeschooling parents never seek out a formal diagnosis simply because it doesn't matter. They aren't going to medicate, they don't need an IEP, so they just go on about the business of researching the possibilities and tailoring the education for their child's specific needs. Many times, the diagnosis is for the schools benefit.
You need to discover how your child learns best. We all learn differently. Read Cathy Duffy's book for help in figuring out learning style.
Jlee4249
by Member on Jul. 5, 2014 at 8:16 PM

No need for diagnosis... Since you're homeschooling.  Find out how your child learns: visual, auditory, etc.  Then, either find a curriculum that tailors to that need OR just make your own adjustments.  

My kids like moving and using their hands...labels aside... So when learning skip counting, we drew in chalk on the driveway and had them literally skip count.  Learning about continents/countries/states, we made scrapbook-type collage pages for each one.  They still remember the information they put onto all their cut&paste items and the flip books and pop-ups.  They still like pulling out their binder and showing it off to company. (Captive audience LOL)

We've also tried to find videos/films/documentaries and even cartoons that follow-up science & history.  

Rid yourself of the labels and the worries that come with them.  Just learn how your children work & base everything off them, not their labels. 

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Jul. 6, 2014 at 12:42 AM
Several suggestions and tips I'm learning...

Movement. Try an exercise ball instead of a chair. Might seem a distraction at first, but stick with until the novelty wears off and its invaluable.

More movement. Get adrenaline up and you can get 15-20 mins if awesome focus.

Change things up and learn in small bursts.

Isolate distractions and create a calm environment.

Stimulate senses. As many as you can. Taste, feel, hear...the lessons.

Also stimulate senses in a relaxed way. Allow opportunities to enjoy sensory stuff. My six yr old loves digging and playing with a big bowl of pony beads. Bright colors, cool, runs through fingers, makes soft noises...if she is having a rough time, some unwinding time helps. I've heard some use a bottle of water with glitter and little creative floaties... when kids are getting stressed, time sitting quietly shaking and studying bottle can relax them.
KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Jul. 6, 2014 at 12:44 AM
Oh and a big one. Try diet changes. Some of us are having great success with changing what our kids eat...

Like high fructose corn syrup, artificial colors and preservatives, gluten, milk...etc.

It can be trial and error.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)