Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Just some random trivia and a breakthrough

Posted by on Jul. 4, 2014 at 1:27 PM
  • 6 Replies
2 moms liked this

You are probably going to laugh but we have these fun little books that I bought at B&Ns over the years. They are those 'useless facts' and trivia books that you get in bargin bins. I buy them to put in the bathrooms and end tables just for fun reading for whoever wants to pick them up.

Well my little guy picked one up earlier and was asking me about the words was on the cover. Once I helped him sound them out, he opened the book and was trying to identify the words. He was getting frustrated and I didn't want to push him, so instead I found a fun fact I thought he would like and I said..."Did you know" and the told him the fact. He was immediately interested in what I was talking about. We looked at  few more fact and then we started looking things up online related to what we read. THEN he said, "Mommy, I can't wait to learn to read so I can know all this stuff". OMG. Finally a correlation as to why reading is important and why he has to learn and why we try so hard with him. 

I am so excited I wanted to share. Not only that he is starting to understand WHY he should read but because he was excited to learn something new (trivia) and look it up.

Anyone elses kiddos learning something new or making strides? 

by on Jul. 4, 2014 at 1:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
hwblyf
by Silver Member on Jul. 4, 2014 at 2:12 PM

That's awesome.  :)

Precious333
by Julia on Jul. 4, 2014 at 2:13 PM
Yay! :) thats awesome
Leissaintexas
by Bronze Member on Jul. 5, 2014 at 11:25 AM
I too discovered that each of my kids had to have their own reasons to learn before it clicked with them. For my DD, it was so she could order for herself in a restaurant. She needed to be able to read a menu! That was her motivation. Congrats on finding his key! That's cool.
MamaLauri
by Member on Jul. 5, 2014 at 3:14 PM

Fantastic. He sounds so cute.

Reina13
by Reina on Jul. 7, 2014 at 9:42 AM

Thanks! Reading a menu was a huge motivator for me when I was a kid too.

Quoting Leissaintexas: I too discovered that each of my kids had to have their own reasons to learn before it clicked with them. For my DD, it was so she could order for herself in a restaurant. She needed to be able to read a menu! That was her motivation. Congrats on finding his key! That's cool.

Reina13
by Reina on Jul. 7, 2014 at 9:43 AM

Thank you!

Quoting MamaLauri:

Fantastic. He sounds so cute.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN