Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

ideas creativity and some suggestions wanted please :)

Posted by on Jul. 5, 2014 at 10:55 AM
  • 13 Replies

Mobile Photo

Hey guys dd is one and I would love some ideas for getting her started on words and colors and stuff I'm not a good teacher with these things can I get some ideas I'm a stay at home mom on a budget lol but I want to get her going :) thanks in advance :))
by on Jul. 5, 2014 at 10:55 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
tntmom1027
by Member on Jul. 5, 2014 at 2:15 PM
3 moms liked this

At that age I just talked a lot to my son. I would be shopping and say something like...."Oh look at this pretty blue box...isn't the blue pretty?".. same with numbers. I just always over vocalized everything while playing, shopping..anything really. 

I never went and bought anything specifically for teaching I would just use the objects we came into contact with everday. Of course like most kids we had a lot of toys that helped develop hand/eye coordination as well as shapes and colors. 

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Jul. 5, 2014 at 2:50 PM
2 moms liked this

I just kept a dialogue going all day long with my little ones.  Getting dressed I would explain their clothes... Let's put on your green shorts because they match your blue shirt with the green stars on it.  Would you like to wear the green hat or the blue hat?  .... Just telling them each step and asking them to make little choices all day.  We would count the steps to the table, the skips to the car, the tulips along the lane, the tiles in the kitchen, etc.  Then by age 2 or so, we would start looking for letters on road signs and shapes and colors as we walked.  

we also sang all the time.  We sang songs that are rhymers so we could change the words to practice making our own rhymes.  So we'd sing "Down by the Bay" and come up with our own silly animals we'd see down by the bay.  We'd sing Had a Little Rooster for animal sounds, The Ants go Marching and Alice the Camel to practice counting, Boom Boom Ain't it Great to be Crazy, Hole in the Bottom of the Sea, Kookaburra, and I'm a Nut are some fun ones.  Here's a good link for lots of songs!

MamaLauri
by Member on Jul. 5, 2014 at 2:58 PM
1 mom liked this

Read-along Songbooks is a joyfully way to building the eye to mouth pathways,(http://www.4mylearn.org/Bookshelf/Bookshelf.html#songBooks). This develops reading, verbal, and interaction skills. There are also Read-along Nursery Rhymes.

When she is 3:

The Read-Along Storybook Classics are geared to vocabulary development and love of reading of kids 3 years old and up.

Tell-Me-A-Story Picture and Book of Pictures (http://www.4mylearn.org/Bookshelf/TellMe.html) is a joyfully way to develop creative thinking and writing, by writing her own stories with these fanciful pictures. She creates and tells the story, you write her stories together. 

When she is ready (3 to 5) she can move along to the Read-Along Phonics Storybookshttp://www.4mylearn.org/Bookshelf/Bookshelf.html#littleBooks. First hearing the stories, later reading them.

See http://www.4mylearn.org/Bookshelf/FunGames.html Letter and Number Fun section (bottom of page) for Letter Sounds, Letter Sound Songs, Word Building, and Alpha Animals to build her phonics skills. And poems and animations to learn to print Small Letters, Capital Letters, and Numbers.

No_Difference
by Silver Member on Jul. 5, 2014 at 11:00 PM
1 mom liked this

at that age, I did everything as a game. Each week I'd focus on a color/letter/sound, and we would go for walks and I would point out things with that color or started with the letter or sound, etc. We would count things like pebbles or something... 
My little guy LOVED watching the Leap Frog movies at that age (not that he watched them often...but when I was helping the older one with her then homework from PS...I had to keep him in one room some how! lol), and actually learned all the sounds before learning letter names, and that I think helped jump start his reading.  
Just make things fun and silly. You don't really need anything extra. My little guy at that age liked to find matching colors of his toys - blocks or cars - if I put something red down and asked him for red things, he'd try his hardest to find red toys... He didn't always get it right, but we did a silly song and dance when he did.  

AllofFive19
by Bronze Member on Jul. 5, 2014 at 11:09 PM
1 mom liked this
We had flash cards for them with the different shapes, colors, and that.
KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Jul. 6, 2014 at 12:22 AM
1 mom liked this
My opinion? Let her be 1 and start this stuff in a year or two.

Otherwise, just play with her and talk with her a lot.
KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Jul. 6, 2014 at 12:25 AM
1 mom liked this
By the way... I love the blue eyes. Awesome pic ma!
romacox
by Silver Member on Jul. 6, 2014 at 11:16 AM
2 moms liked this
spitfire06
by Member on Jul. 6, 2014 at 11:28 AM

Quoting KrissyKC: By the way... I love the blue eyes. Awesome pic ma!
snazzylady1
by Member on Jul. 9, 2014 at 12:46 AM

At this age one of the best things you can do is to read to them daily.  Talk about the pictures in the book.  There are a lot of books that are simple with one or two words per page.  Another options is to go to your local library or book store.  Very often there are story times  with activities to do with children.  If your on a budget you can also call some musuems in your area to see if they have days that are free to the public.  Musuems are excellent for exposure.  You can also contact the zoo.  The one thing that I did with my daughter was take her to live children's theatre.  Not only does she love it but theatre is a great way to expand vocabulary.  Usually the shows are short due to the attention span of children.  I agree that talking to your child is very important.  Talk in complete sentences to them so that it will model how to construct sentences of their own.  I hope this helps.

Best,

Tonya Simmons

smartandsnazzykids.com

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN